Police wearing para wings?

• Thread starter Deleted 11220
  • Start date
Good job the Waltenkommando weren't around in this bloke's day. Here he is sporting both an Iron Cross and a Victoria Cross. All he needs is a SAS beret to complete his outfit.

William-Manly_opt.jpg

Or so it would seem ......

Nitroxpuppy

War Hero
A bit of necrophilia; RAID para team demo during the dog and pony show marking the group's 30th anniversary.

22358844325_993a93a9dm8s3s.jpg

Jumping from a Protection Civile helicopter

22369533871_fb60f4e8crksor.jpg

22332812226_2ca85ab8d1qsy6.jpg

(Behind, a RAID PVP armoured vehicle)

22171981939_38d22da83fuski.jpg

21737734483_034d785eaf4svq.jpg

The rifle is a 12 ga. Molot

22171103688_15697e11brwsbb.jpg

22345769402_de69f6b8329s92.jpg

Some other views

22170822360_40d4a598204uzn.jpg

22170804210_140b4daffgls5t.jpg

22171974049_ed0c98063q5syy.jpg

These chaps probably started their descent at the same time this thread was posted

Hi All.
Nice article Fantassin. No UK police forces are permitted to wear to military badges. They are premitted to wear awards and decorations whilst in NO1s and Ribbons on their NO2s. Para wings etc are a p*ss take, you know aht Paras are like.... I had an old friend who served in the Met and he said that he had friend who used to wear an Iron Cross during the 70s...on night shift!

No 1's - new fleece.
No 2's - old fleece.

Old Nig

Old-Salt
OK if we must, if we really must.

Sod the CRS and all that continental rubbish. You want a lot that will keep order? Bring back this bunch!

SPG.jpg

The SPG, the Met's trusted warriors....

I love the Wikipedia entry which starts with the sang froid opening "The Special Patrol Group (SPG) was a controversial unit of the London Metropolitan Police".

Special Patrol Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Special Patrol Group - Vivian's Glaswegian hamster!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I think the only ones in the Met wearing "wings" would be WPCs :wink:
Well senior officers in the Met most definitely flap at an alarming rate!:bounce:

Last edited:
There is a wide variety in what uniform is worn by police - for example my force wear black wick shirts for everything except court or duties in HQ, then it's white shirt and tie - other forces routinely patrol in white shirts. The rule about only issued kit being used is largely ignored and most officers have gone for their own kit carrying vest as the belt gear issued is uncomfortable in cars. The issued hi-vis vest is short of pocket space and the sleeves snag, though one of the local tailors is doing a good trade in sleeve removal for £10. Regulars are not issued boots so there are various makes in use, though Specials are issued Hi-Tec Magnums (not bad, though if it's really cold/wet I go for my ex-issue cold weather boots)

Regarding ribbons, occasionally I've seen ribbons on the short blouson black tops or on white shirts, but it's not common here. In my last job with the Mob, I had regular meetings with TVP and many of their officers wore ribbon bars on their stab vests or tac vests. I have a pin on ribbon bar, but haven't seen the need to put it on yet though I might in semi formal settings (being a Special I'm not issued a tunic).

Spoke to a chum of mine last night who was in the Met Police in the 70's/80's.

He mentioned that some ex Para types serving on the force would sometimes wear their wings, however they would wear them above the breast pocket of their tunic.

Also, there was a force in the South West (can't remember where) who's senior man was ex forces (and ex para-I think), he also apparently encouraged the wearing of wings.

Has anyone else come across this? or is my mate telling me porky pies?

Flying Squad? :)

My force allows one pin type badge on your body armour, as long as it is not contentious or overtly political.

Many ex military wear regimental type pins, including para wings etc.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/LiIAAOSw5ZBWMSwI/$_1.JPG

I wear one of these, made by a REME armourer who posts on here occasionally.

Wets

I know a copper who between terms at uni, used to work for Billy Smarts circus. In recognition of the fact, Thames Valley Constabulary let him wear his clown shoes, red nose and water squirter flower with his uniform.
And there wiz I thinking that was normal plod attire.

arcticfox042

War Hero
British Police not allowed to wear military qualification badges.
I pointed this out on on 'Rum Ration' when the below photo appeared of a serving Insp at a Service funeral wearing his summariners qualification dolphins. They nearly lynched me...... Dress regs are dress regs.....
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 23.47.34.png

What absolute rubbish! Any fool knows they would be wearing light bulbs.

skymacuk

Old-Salt
There was an article in Pegasus magazine several years ago, with a photo of 2 police officers ( high ranking officers ) both wearing bullion Para wings on their tunics along with medal ribbons both were ex British Airborne Forces

arcticfox042

War Hero
There was an article in Pegasus magazine several years ago, with a photo of 2 police officers ( high ranking officers ) both wearing bullion Para wings on their tunics along with medal ribbons both were ex British Airborne Forces
Love to see that photo..........

British Police not allowed to wear military qualification badges.
I pointed this out on on 'Rum Ration' when the below photo appeared of a serving Insp at a Service funeral wearing his summariners qualification dolphins. They nearly lynched me...... Dress regs are dress regs.....View attachment 581492

I wonder what the response would be in the Met where officers are wearing LGBT badges and LGBT coloured boot laces?

Where does that leave dress regs?

arcticfox042

War Hero
Extract from Met Police Dress Regs.....

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 10.06.23.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 10.07.28.png