Police wearing para wings?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Random_Task, Nov 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spoke to a chum of mine last night who was in the Met Police in the 70's/80's.

He mentioned that some ex Para types serving on the force would sometimes wear their wings, however they would wear them above the breast pocket of their tunic.

Also, there was a force in the South West (can't remember where) who's senior man was ex forces (and ex para-I think), he also apparently encouraged the wearing of wings.

Has anyone else come across this? or is my mate telling me porky pies?
  2. I think the only ones in the Met wearing "wings" would be WPCs :wink:
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Sounds like bullsh1t, they wont be doing much parachuting in the Met. where would they draw the line? badges from scouts/cadets/etc etc
  4. Corps of Commissioners can & do wear wings if they have earn't the right to. Police do wear military medal ribbons they have earn't, never heard of anything else though.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. I know a copper who between terms at uni, used to work for Billy Smarts circus. In recognition of the fact, Thames Valley Constabulary let him wear his clown shoes, red nose and water squirter flower with his uniform.
    • Funny Funny x 15
    • Like Like x 5
  6. I am a Customs officer & uniformed officers are not permitted "Qualification" type badges such as parachute wings. Medal ribbons are permitted however. The wearing of poppies by uniformed officers is encouraged & HMCE (now HMRC) has a service of remembrance at Custom House each Armistice Day.

Additionally, there is a book of remembrance for the Queen's Westminsters & the Civil Service Rifles displayed in Custom House with a stone memorial & the colours of the now defunct RBL branch that once operated.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. S*d off, I earned my bugling merit badge the hard way.

Scout Master was always keen for me to practice on his nob. :wink:
  8. Perhaps its some para-police group that goes around hunting terrorists and jumping out of helicopters onto car thiefs?
  9. It would seem the French have such a unit! :

10. Doubtful the ammount of time needed to complete the risk assesment and other red tape tasks would mean somebody would have to have had the idea before planes were invented! :roll:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Brilliant
  12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

But the gendarms are an army unit even tho' they carry out police duties, n'est pas?
    • Like Like x 2
  13. True - but it fits that the EPIGN are part of the Gendarmerie for that very reason. Not something they could give the Police Nationale.
  14. That's why they, the french, do not have a dedicated MP unit. The PMs are like our RPs but with extended powers.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I thought the unit was called GIGN?
    France also has RAID and the CRS. Germany has GSG9. I maybe wrong, but the UK is the only European nation without a paramilitary "third force" in addition to CivPol and Armed Forces.
    • Like Like x 1