Police warn of summer of rage

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/feb/23/police-civil-unrest-recession

Police are preparing for a "summer of rage" as victims of the economic downturn take to the streets to demonstrate against financial institutions, the Guardian has learned.

Britain's most senior police officer with responsibility for public order raised the spectre of a return of the riots of the 1980s, with people who have lost their jobs, homes or savings becoming "footsoldiers" in a wave of potentially violent mass protests.

Superintendent David Hartshorn, who heads the Metropolitan police's public order branch, told the Guardian that middle-class individuals who would never have considered joining demonstrations may now seek to vent their anger through protests this year.
Time to start honing those survival skills? :p

Taz_786 said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/feb/23/police-civil-unrest-recession

Police are preparing for a "summer of rage" as victims of the economic downturn take to the streets to demonstrate against financial institutions, the Guardian has learned.

Britain's most senior police officer with responsibility for public order raised the spectre of a return of the riots of the 1980s, with people who have lost their jobs, homes or savings becoming "footsoldiers" in a wave of potentially violent mass protests.

Superintendent David Hartshorn, who heads the Metropolitan police's public order branch, told the Guardian that middle-class individuals who would never have considered joining demonstrations may now seek to vent their anger through protests this year.
Time to start honing those survival skills? :p

I feel sorry for the ******* horses!

Its times like these that you need groups like The Specials or The Clash to write some great tunes.

Cant see Will Young or Girls Aloud writing similar to 'Ghost Town' or 'White Riot'. :roll:

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Its times like these that you need groups like The Specials or The Clash to write some great tunes.

Cant see Will Young or Girls Aloud writing similar to 'Ghost Town' or 'White Riot'. :roll:
I Predict a Riot(Kaiser Chiefs)? :D

Werewolf said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:

I Predict a Riot(Kaiser Chiefs)? :D
Or how about It Fell Apart, the theme tune from the Bourne movies...

The-Lord-Flasheart said:

Given that plenty of the rioters this time round will be pushing middle age I would think that we can just re-use both The Clash and Tthe Specials.
I'm sure some of the forecast rioters will probably have been on the streets 20 odd years ago, just their reasons will be diferent this time round.

All those people who have spent the last 20 plus years flogging their pan in to get what they've got aren't happy that Brown and the Bankers are throwing it away for them. Plenty other causes of discontent too.

A summer of rage sounds like the sort of thing clerics in the Middle East call for to protest the Israelis.

Cue protest signs in imperfect English along with chants of 'Down down, Brown Brown!' accompanied by indignant jabbing of forefingers in the air :p

from the Evening Standard
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23650379-details/Fears+over+'summer+of+rage'/article.do

More than a third of voters believe the Army will have to be brought in to deal with a "summer of rage" on British streets as the recession bites, a poll showed.

if this is the case the song would be "rubber bullet" by 10cc

Padrat said:
Now your talking, proper music :D

Gordon Brown's spokesman said: "The Prime Minister's view on this is that of course he understands people's concerns and he also understands that people are angry, for example about the behaviour of some of the banks. That's why he is absolutely determined that the Government does everything possible to deal with those concerns and help people and businesses get through what is a global recession."
Presumably Mr Brown does not understand that millions of people are a little bit angry with him too?

jagman said:
Padrat said:
Now your talking, proper music :D

Gordon Brown's spokesman said: "The Prime Minister's view on this is that of course he understands people's concerns and he also understands that people are angry, for example about the behaviour of some of the banks. That's why he is absolutely determined that the Government does everything possible to deal with those concerns and help people and businesses get through what is a global recession."
Presumably Mr Brown does not understand that millions of people are a little bit angry with him too?
:lol: :x

The-Lord-Flasheart said:

Why do you Mr Terry Hall and Co have reformed :eek:

I won't be protesting. I will be too busy on double ching, at some demo or other .....

Probably middle aged folk and pensioners rioting. In reality, it will be a typically English demonstration by these normally law abiding folk who are only trying to hand a petition into No. 10. They will stop for tea and 'Ooh' and 'Ahh' at all the lovely buildings and parks that they walk past.

It will be broken up by baton rounds, CS gas, big feck off dogs, riot squad heavies and water cannons. Lots of arrests will be made. Maybe the odd copper will chip a nail in the process but it will make the headlines as a 'riot'. Remember the 'Keep Hunting' protests of yesteryear? I was there, sonny...

Problem is that the civvy population has been bred and programmed to act like docile sheep. They normally shrug and pay up - that's the English way. Some of them get really irate and write a letter to the Daily Wail but only if they're pushed.

Farmerbleep said:
It will be broken up by baton rounds, CS gas, big feck off dogs, riot squad heavies and water cannons. Lots of arrests will be made. Maybe the odd copper will chip a nail in the process but it will make the headlines as a 'riot'. Remember the 'Keep Hunting' protests of yesteryear? I was there, sonny...
See many baton rounds, water cannons or any CS gas at the 'keep hunting' protests did you?

Farmerbleep said:
Probably middle aged folk and pensioners rioting. In reality, it will be a typically English demonstration by these normally law abiding folk who are only trying to hand a petition into No. 10. They will stop for tea and 'Ooh' and 'Ahh' at all the lovely buildings and parks that they walk past.

Problem is that the civvy population has been bred and programmed to act like docile sheep. They normally shrug and pay up - that's the English way. Some of them get really irate and write a letter to the Daily Wail but only if they're pushed.
Depressing, because it's true. :evil:

While I'd love to see the Poll Tax Riots Reloaded, it's not going to happen. :x

Werewolf said:
Farmerbleep said:

I wouldn't bet on it.
You can only push people so far, when enough have had their house's repossesed and lost their jobs attitudes will change, patience and manners will go out the window.
Attitudes amongst Arrser's are a little different than out amongst the population. Many here have job stablity and financially secure homes, out here in civvyland people are loosing that in their 10's of thousands.

LEGZ30 said:
Farmerbleep said:
See many baton rounds, water cannons or any CS gas at the 'keep hunting' protests did you?
I saw and took part in a peaceful protest where the official finish line was mobbed by intimidating anti's. The police riot vans, horse and such like I saw parked down side streets just waiting to be called in. Luckily, we country folk are a peaceful sort - not like the anti's. It was policed right to the finish line, after that, we all went our seperate ways.

If it had kicked off, then I am sure they would have appeared and the press would have had a field day.

I take it that you believe all that you read in the papers and see on the telly. Ever thought that you see what 'they' want you to see? This goes for the initial comment at the start of this thread too.

jagman said:
Werewolf said:
Farmerbleep said:

I wouldn't bet on it.
You can only push people so far, when enough have had their house's repossesed and lost their jobs attitudes will change, patience and manners will go out the window.

Attitudes amongst Arrser's are a little different than out amongst the population. Many here have job stablity and financially secure homes, out here in civvyland people are loosing that in their 10's of thousands.
I hope you're right. But I'll believe it when I see it. :roll:

Oh, and I also recommend Ich Will by Rammstein as good riot music! :headbang:

Latest Threads