Police vehicle procurement 1980s

The Assassin

On ROPS
On ROPs
An article written by someone who was GMP in the 1980s wrote an article about what vehicles Greater Manchester Police were allowed to procure and why. Some quite good stories and fantastic cars, fleet of Lotus Sunbeams and experimental 115mph Sherpa 3.5 V8.

1625062506908.png
1625062535656.png

The bog standard Sherpas were a decent section vehicle. Their main problem was that the steering was heavy and difficult to use on long shifts. The step at the back used to run into things as it stuck out inconveniently from the back of the vehicles.

The metros section vehicles were rather useless.

I liked the Peugeots. Nice and light steering. Quite responsive. As far as I remember, the Cosworths lasted about a year in total before being written off. More a symbol of, er something. You had to leave someone in the vehicle (at least in theory) because you couldn't turn the engine off when you came to a stop for fear of damage.

Fun at the time but cars are much better now.

1625068082756.jpeg

V8 Sherpas used by EOD teams. They topped out about 130mph, but the brakes were absolutely awful. I think it was drum brakes on the back.

I'm sure the Met had Porsche's and maybe sexier to deal with the fashion of racing all around the M25 in performance cars.
Signing out one of them for a night of chasing yuppies must have been amazing trying not to grin like a maniac.
I assume they were trained by playing the old arcade classic Outrun until they could get on the leader board.

Way back in the early sixties, my cousin a WPC with Lancashire Constabulary. Drove an MG A or Daimler SP250 on Preston by pass ( M6).
Can't ask her as she died last month.

CFB

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally, I think the 70s and 80s were a great era for blue-lighting at high speed. Everyone loved the Sweeney and CI9 and poncing about in Jaguars, Fords and Rovers was excellent fun.

I recall doing 135mph down the M6 on an Op WATCHTOWER serial in 1985 and being told I was holding back!

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
View attachment 585356

V8 Sherpas used by EOD teams. They topped out about 130mph, but the brakes were absolutely awful. I think it was drum brakes on the back.
Back in the '90s I was drafted in as CivPop at Lydd & Hythe for an Infantry Regt about to deploy to NI. I was handed the keys to one of the Ex_EOD Sherpas, badly brush painted in yellow. It went like shit off a shovel. Stopped like an oil tanker. Fun wagon to hare around the training village in.

The Met had one, or two of these, as did Thames valley Police. Porsche 968.

01.jpg

Latest Threads