Police targeting trivial crimes

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, May 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, not news really but just confirms once again how our sad and sorry excuse for a Government manages to fcuk things up time and time again by forcing people who know better into jumping to the tune of their target and spin culture.

And Broon wonders why he is so hated

"Police often choose to tackle "trivial" offences instead of serious crimes to help them meet government targets, a right-wing think tank has said.

The Civitas pamphlet said the trend meant many "law-abiding middle-class" people no longer trusted the service.

The Police Federation agreed officers were "struggling to bring some common sense to a... target-driven culture".

But the Home Office said it did not expect officers to hit targets at the expense of tackling serious offenders.

A spokesman said the government's crime strategy was designed to "free up the police so that they are able to focus on serious crimes and local priorities".

There were now fewer central targets, he said, adding that those announced last October gave more prominence to tackling serious crime.

But Civitas said police forces, and the government, risked alienating the public by concentrating on "easy-to-deal-with offending" like speeding.

The pamphlet, written by journalist Harriet Sergeant, said many officers were expected to complete a certain number of "sanction detections" a month, either by charging, cautioning or fining an offender.

Arresting or fining a normally law-abiding person for a minor offence was a good way of achieving this target and pleasing the Home Office, the booklet said.

It mentioned one case in which a 19-year-old foreign student was arrested, detained for five hours and cautioned for holding open the door of a lift in a London Underground station.

"This story... reveals the bizarre stratagems created by the target culture," said the report.

"In a city where knife crime is exploding and the public are crying out for more police on the streets, three officers are tied up for half the night arresting a young man for holding a lift door open with his foot."

'Unethical'

The author said performance-related pay bonuses of between £10,000 and £15,000 a year for commanders who managed frontline officers partly depended on reaching targets for sanction detections.

"In order to meet targets, police are now classifying incidents as crimes that would previously have been dealt with informally, classified differently or ignored," said the pamphlet.

"Many police complained senior officers were pressurising them to make arrests they considered unethical," it added.

One officer was quoted as saying he warned his teenage son to take extra care at the end of the month when police were looking to fill their quota.

Adding that confidence in the police was falling Civitas said: "Complaints against the police have risen, with much of the increase coming from law-abiding, middle-class, middle-aged and retired people who no longer feel that the police are on their side."

"They are slow to respond to calls, even to serious crimes taking place; often slack about follow-up, and unwilling to tackle persistent anti-social behaviour that blights neighbourhoods."

The author recommended the problem be tackled by removing targets and that a new local tax should pay for policing.

Paul McKeever, chairman of the Police Federation for England and Wales, said the organisation had long voiced concerns about the issues in the report.

"Police officers are struggling to bring some common sense to the increased demands of a target-driven culture, which is all too often resulting in arrests to boost the statistics we are judged upon, rather than to do what is right for the public.

"This vicious circle of chasing targets then further alienates us from the majority of law-abiding people."

Shadow home secretary David Davis said the report represented a "desperate - but not surprising - indictment of Labour's red tape, target-driven culture".

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said the government's current targets were "ridiculous".

"It is a nonsense that issuing a penalty notice for littering is of the same value as solving a murder. The principle of policing by consent is being seriously undermined."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7427132.stm

and

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2052629/Police-punishing-middle-classes-to-hit-targets.html

"Arresting or fining a normally law-abiding person for a trivial offence is a good way of achieving the target and pleasing the Home Office.

"The police seem intent on criminalising those whose offences, if they can be regarded as offences at all, are trivial," the report said.

"They are accused of concentrating on easy-to-deal with offending like speeding, while the real criminals seem to be getting away with it."

One case was highlighted in which a 19-year-old foreign student was arrested, detained for five hours and cautioned for holding open the door of a lift in a London Underground station.

The report said: "In a city where knife crime is exploding and the public are crying out for more police on the streets three officers are tied up for half the night arresting a young man for holding a lift door open with his foot."

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Sorry but is this really news........ :roll:

3. After I left "The Mob" I joined "The Job." I have now been retired six years. When I joined, if I locked up a thief, an Inspector would go to court armed with one piece of paper and win. That paper had the details of the offence, complainant and offender on the front and my statement on the back. The Inspector made sure that I had all the evidence required to convict in my statement. When I packed up, a theft (do-gooders will call a thief a shoplifter) file could have up to twenty different forms to it.

HMGov Plc started "initiatives" many moons ago and the Police have to comply or lose funding. They end up going round in circles and eventually disappear up their own jacksies because of targets, initiatives, goals and etc.

4. 20 years ago I went to London. Before I left other Irish people told me to watch out for the English Police as they were anti-Irish and would try to fit you up for some terrorist offense at the first opportunity.

That turned out to be absolute b-ll-x. When I was in London I never found the police to be anything other than polite, professional and helpful. But that was 20 years ago.

5. In the 70's when I was new to "the job", I stopped a car one night with no nearside rearlight, when we checked, he had no indicator or stoplight either. Having had a similar car, I suggested it could be a bad earth, so up went the boot lid and we quickly found the earth wire, a quick polish of the contacts with a matchbox, and all was well. Five minutes well spent on improving Police/ Public relations.
    Thank God I am now retired for in these target ridden modern times I suppose I should have to book him for three separate offences.

6. Two of the worst cases I heard of were publicised on the Inspector Gadget blog.

A police officer is called to the scene of a suicide where a man has hanged himself. While getting the body down it becomes apparent that there's a knife in the pocket of the corpse. Police officer logs this as an offence with an instant 'detection' 'cos the offender is dead. Result.

Second case involved a tip off that the local drug lord will be receiving a hefty consignment of Columbian decongestant at his home over the weekend. Gadget forms a plan to put the house under surveilence from Friday night until the drugs arrive, at which point drug lord, his supplier and many kilos of a white powdery substance will make their way to the nick. Gadget's boss vetoed the plan on the grounds of cost, pointing out that two arrests could be made in 5 minutes at closing time on Saturday night.

7. What's wrong with the following:

1 / The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.
    2 / The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions.
    3 / Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.
    4 / The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.
    5 / Police seek and preserve public favour not by catering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.
    6 / Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient.
    7 / Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
    8 / Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.
    9 / The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

These are the original "Peelian Principles" established in the early 19th century and, in my opinion, are still fit for purpose - b*llox to targets - judge the "Peelers" :D performance by Principle 9!

8. I agree.

Have motor scooter off road. Send DVLA a SORN application and receive notification back. Needs renewing after a year. Miss deadline by 2 weeks. Get certificate (from original renewal date) along with £80 fine. W T F
    There estimated (by the Met Police) to be A MILLION cars on the road illegally. I try to keep within the law AND I F***ING GET HAMMERED.

Sorry if I am not black, or asian, or a muslim, or an immigrant, or an illegal, or a benefits cheat, or just plain f***iing chav waste of space, I am sadly just a law-abiding citizen that the f***ing country could not care less about

9. But with so many crimes downgraded, or no longer recorded as crime, there are only trivial ones left...

10. What a Shock.... who would of thought.......

11. The funniest thing is here in bradford one of the main area for illegal cars is right around the police station, I drive past the place every day and not 2 minutes up the road you can pick out dozens of cars with not tax on display and plenty which look like they could never pass an MOT

12. It'd appear that four police forces have had enough of the Home Office and its targets:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4036339.ece

I presume that this piece of management speak at the end of the article

Translates as 'A spokesman for the Home Office said '"Help! If the police do that nationwide and ignore all the meaningless paperwork we send out, thus cutting the bureaucracy by a vast amount I might lose my job. Eek!"'

13. But, by your own admittance you were not a law abiding citizen. You failed to renew your application in time. You feel harshly done by, but it was a slap on the wrist (admittedly £80 is more a kick in the balls). How are the authorities meant to differentiate between you and the millions of other motorists that you say are illegal.

14. No offence mate but that’s a load of crap.

It’s typical of the system that only punishes the law abiding citizen as an easy target whilst letting all the real scrotes loose simply for the benefit of both easy income and positive crime results.

Meanwhile the streets are over run by feral mongs and druggies.

I honestly believe that unless something drastic is done within ten years then we will see some real civil disorder.

The annoying thing is that the majority of the population will support the actions required but it’s just the loud minority that get their way as always.

And as always the politicians are only looking into the trough and maybe until the next election.

Long term policy and some balls required methinks.

15. I am a paid consultant to the Police and have a very good insight to the way it works

Local fresh story, "Man gets fined £75 for walking his dog in a cemetery" 2 x PCSO's,1 x PC plus all paperwork, fair enough, but in the mean time us law abiding citizens continue to be scared of crime and are not really bothered about man walking dog.

The Police Policing us is a joke. More and more comuunities are switching towards "vigilantie justice" with local "ex crooks" or "hard men" policing the community which turns out to be more effective than the OB.

It's not the fault of Police, it is the fault of the Goberment. The Police are a spent force who's main responsibility (as far as the public see) is to extract monies from the populus. Local "law enforcement" works far better. A ride in the boot of a car to a field does far more for deterence than a 2 hour trip to the cells followed by a warning or an ASBO (which, with the local youth, is seen as a "badge of honour" )

I respect the Police for what they are allowed to do but their hands are tied by politicians.

At the moment vigilantes are def the way to go.