Police slot silly sod near Halifax.

Dead drug scum, result for plod.

My bold... result for all of us, not having to pay for this scums incarceration for however many years he would have got AND importantly stopped the lump of dogs excrement fathering any more!!

I read that article earlier, no surprise that he was a bad’un despite what his father said (and still does ffs!).
The ARRSE collective had him, and his ilk, sussed from the second the incident hit our screens.
Quite.

As I've just commented to a friend, there's the usual saw towards the end about the community being defensive because of 'disproportionate reporting'. Is it disproportionate reporting, or reporting of a disproportionate problem? Discuss. (Actually, we don't need to.)

BBC story today. Tells some but not all of the story if much of what has been reported on this thread is to be believed:

How did my sleepy hometown become a violent crime hotspot?
Really good article worth reading.

No surprises for me other than that the reporter seemed surprised - I thought they were supposed to be "informed' by the very nature of their trade. However, if you want to be cynical - apply 'in denial' to the whole story. From the father, from the Pakistani community - from shopkeepers to the mosque.
From the authorities too.
Because I was vaguely aware of these issues over 10 years ago and that's when many of the grooming and other scandals were also known about.
This, and many other examples of fraud and what constitutes as normal or acceptable behaviour are very deeply entrenched.

Having said that I quite like Huddersfield and it's got to be the best place in Britain for Pork Pies.

That whole story reads of a 'community' in complete denial, while at the same time being unable to move from the elephant in the room.
Or... a majority of a community knowing but being afraid of the vicious criminal fraternity at its midst. Look at the beginning of the story and the bit about grassing, etc..

The vast majority of people in any community just want to get by. But there will be an element, anywhere, which will cynically play the victim card (victim, not necessarily race) in order to keep the law off their backs. There will also be cynical politicians who want to appear on-side or else chase votes. Diane Abbott springs to mind in London, with her ridiculous assertions about police brutality, but there are others elsewhere.

The problem you have here is self-proclaimed community leaders - something you tend not to see in the majority white communities- or self-selecting groups in/at the local politics level.

And let's not forget that when this event was happening, Naz Shah, MP for a part of Bradford (close, but nothing to do with Huddersfield - although 'the community' involved gives a pointer) threatened that 'she couldn't guarantee there would be a peaceful reaction' or such, thereby green lighting protests over the death of an armed drug dealer.

Another case of armed violent drug dealing scum getting slotted by the Rozzers ? And the local community showing it's true colors and coming out in sympathy?

Named by the BBC, citing local sources, as Yassar Yaqub.
I’m shocked, shocked is wot I am. A member of that peace luving religion involved in gun crimes? Heaven forbid he’s a member of a moooooslim pedo rape gang as well, just surmising mind you.What is the U.K. coming to, when our moooooslim bro’s are involved in something so nasty.
Are you sure, what are you facts, evidence.

And let's not forget that when this event was happening, Naz Shah, MP for a part of Bradford (close, but nothing to do with Huddersfield - although 'the community' involved gives a pointer) threatened that 'she couldn't guarantee there would be a peaceful reaction' or such, thereby green lighting protests over the death of an armed drug dealer.
And why was she not censured?

In a different country, ' the community' - any community - would be made an example of. Ironically, given the community we're talking about in this instance, that would be well understood back in the 'home country' - in the same way that it's understood that the law here is a soft touch.

It's not racist to make everyone behave equally before the law.

Let's hope not, but the same thought crossed my mind. As a shrine appeared yet?
No but the outrage bus, which has been on an extended deployment to Grenfill fire trap, and is readyfor a swift attendance should the need arise. Have to say, it’s a bit unusual for Moooooslim bros to need such a display of public grief.

One thing in the article that was touched on was the size of the area and the smallness of the community. This strikes me as having two effects:

Firstly any, snitching or straying from the 'community' line is going to be hard to keep anonymous.

Secondly if one does speak out one has to live with the consequences which may be lethal. Criminals tend not to stop at a harsh look or strongly worded letter.

Add those two items to the 'them and us' ideas peddled by interested parties it becomes harder to break the cycle of crime and silence.