Police plea on genital mutilation

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bugly, Jul 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Metropolitan Police is offering a £20,000 reward for information which would bring to justice anyone involved in female genital mutilation.
    The campaign is being launched at the start of the summer holidays, during which young girls - mainly from African communities - are thought most at risk.

Mutilation involves the partial or total removal of external female genitalia for cultural reasons.

Up to 7,000 girls in the UK are seen as at risk of this form of circumcision.

LINK

Child abuse in the name of "our culture"...

2. Surely this is sexists, many cultures also mutilate males.

3. True, maxi, but male circumcision has few adverse effects (and even perhaps some advantages). Cutting off a girl's clitoris is obviously a different matter altogether.

4. What is a clitoris?

5. One could say that the same could be said of having a ring put through your nose, and some people do choose the option when mature, but it is clearly wrong to take such descisions for people before they are old enough to make their own value judgements

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Tricky one that. In an ideal world, NOBODY would have their bits cut off until they were old enough to make such a decision (or incision) themselves.

Can female genital mutilation actually be stopped in all fairness when male genital mutilation is allowed in children for religious reasons?

Personally, I'd stop the whole thing until the age of consent had been reached, in either sex.

7. Beats me :D

8. According to South Park it's a big pink blamange type thing which you only find when you spend countless periods of time looking for it.

9. a bmw 3 series ,every cnuts got one

10. Apparently not it would seem

11. Male and female circumcision are radically different processes - it's the diference between a quick trim off the top and a No.1 cut. From what I can gather, the 'cultural' reason is ensure wives are pure outside marriage and chaste within it.

What I found most disgusting was finding out the girls are mostly forced into it by mothers, grandmothers and aunts who've had it done to them. It would be child abuse if done in this country, which I suppose is why they p1ss off back to bongo-bongo-land to get it done.

Haven't we the ability to prosecute paedophiles in this country even if the offence was committed abroad? Seems like the same thing to me.

12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Smartas, it is an offence already. The Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003 covers it.

Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003
    2003 Chapter 31

CONTENTS

Section
    1 Offence of female genital mutilation
    2 Offence of assisting a girl to mutilate her own genitalia
    3 Offence of assisting a non-UK person to mutilate overseas a girl's genitalia
    4 Extension of sections 1 to 3 to extra-territorial acts
    5 Penalties for offences
    6 Definitions
    7 Consequential provision
    8 Short title, commencement, extent and general saving

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Act to restate and amend the law relating to female genital mutilation; and for connected purposes.

[30th October 2003]

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 Offence of female genital mutilation

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he excises, infibulates or otherwise mutilates the whole or any part of a girl's labia majora, labia minora or clitoris.

(2) But no offence is committed by an approved person who performs-

(a) a surgical operation on a girl which is necessary for her physical or mental health, or
    (b) a surgical operation on a girl who is in any stage of labour, or has just given birth, for purposes connected with the labour or birth.
    (3) The following are approved persons-

(a) in relation to an operation falling within subsection (2)(a), a registered medical practitioner,
    (b) in relation to an operation falling within subsection (2)(b), a registered medical practitioner, a registered midwife or a person undergoing a course of training with a view to becoming such a practitioner or midwife.
    (4) There is also no offence committed by a person who-

(a) performs a surgical operation falling within subsection (2)(a) or (b) outside the United Kingdom, and
    (b) in relation to such an operation exercises functions corresponding to those of an approved person.
    (5) For the purpose of determining whether an operation is necessary for the mental health of a girl it is immaterial whether she or any other person believes that the operation is required as a matter of custom or ritual.

2 Offence of assisting a girl to mutilate her own genitalia

A person is guilty of an offence if he aids, abets, counsels or procures a girl to excise, infibulate or otherwise mutilate the whole or any part of her own labia majora, labia minora or clitoris.

3 Offence of assisting a non-UK person to mutilate overseas a girl's genitalia

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he aids, abets, counsels or procures a person who is not a United Kingdom national or permanent United Kingdom resident to do a relevant act of female genital mutilation outside the United Kingdom.

(2) An act is a relevant act of female genital mutilation if-

(a) it is done in relation to a United Kingdom national or permanent United Kingdom resident, and
    (b) it would, if done by such a person, constitute an offence under section 1.
    (3) But no offence is committed if the relevant act of female genital mutilation-

(a) is a surgical operation falling within section 1(2)(a) or (b), and
    (b) is performed by a person who, in relation to such an operation, is an approved person or exercises functions corresponding to those of an approved person.
    4 Extension of sections 1 to 3 to extra-territorial acts

(1) Sections 1 to 3 extend to any act done outside the United Kingdom by a United Kingdom national or permanent United Kingdom resident.

(2) If an offence under this Act is committed outside the United Kingdom-

(a) proceedings may be taken, and
    (b) the offence may for incidental purposes be treated as having been committed,
    in any place in England and Wales or Northern Ireland.

5 Penalties for offences

A person guilty of an offence under this Act is liable-

(a) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years or a fine (or both),
    (b) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum (or both).
    6 Definitions

(1) Girl includes woman.

(2) A United Kingdom national is an individual who is-

(a) a British citizen, a British overseas territories citizen, a British National (Overseas) or a British Overseas citizen,
    (b) a person who under the British Nationality Act 1981 (c. 61) is a British subject, or
    (c) a British protected person within the meaning of that Act.
    (3) A permanent United Kingdom resident is an individual who is settled in the United Kingdom (within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971 (c. 77)).

(4) This section has effect for the purposes of this Act.

7 Consequential provision

(1) The Prohibition of Female Circumcision Act 1985 (c. 38) ceases to have effect.

(2) In paragraph 1(b) of the Schedule to the Visiting Forces Act 1952 (c. 67) (offences against the person in respect of which a member of a visiting force may in certain circumstances not be tried by a United Kingdom court), for paragraph (xi) there is substituted-

"(xi) the Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003;".

8 Short title, commencement, extent and general saving

(1) This Act may be cited as the Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003.

(2) This Act comes into force on such day as the Secretary of State may by order made by statutory instrument appoint.

(3) An order under subsection (2) may include transitional or saving provisions.

(4) This Act does not extend to Scotland.

(5) Nothing in this Act affects any criminal liability arising apart from this Act.

A reward of £20K seems appropriate to me.

13. I think the point that maxi_77 and Biped were making is not that the process is different, and in the case of male circumcision far less harmful. The point is that genital mutilation (which is what male circumcision is, unless done for valid medical reasons) is being done to children who are far too young to understand it, let alone make a rational decision as to whether they want it done to them.

If they choose to have it done when they are old enough to make a considered decision about it, that is a very different matter to it being done to a baby because the parents want it done.

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Exactly. Why does circumcising male babies have more legal validity than female babies?

15. I am not sure that male circumcision is really comparable. I believe I am right in saying that the practice on males in the US is very common amongst all communities and is not just done for religious reasons but because it has hygiene benefits (allegedly). Female circumcision has serious sexual and medical implications. I appreciate that male circumcision can be unhygenic and the practitioners that use unsterilesed implements should be outlawed, but I believe many rabbis and imans in UK now do it with sterilised surgical instruments or in some cases a doctor performs the act in the presence of the religious leader.

I do not believe we should not support the police's endeavour to stamp out female circumcision because boys are circumcised too.