Police, patrolling with HUMVEEs, shooting paintballs if you don't stay in your house.

The attacker killed a 77 year old man, just because he asked him to wear a mask.

The attacker killed a 77 year old man, just because he asked him to wear a mask.
It rather interestingly also shows that a pistol isn't a magic wand either in terms of defending yourself. The assailant may die, but you could also be stabbed to death as well.

It rather interestingly also shows that a pistol isn't a magic wand either in terms of defending yourself. The assailant may die, but you could also be stabbed to death as well.
Nice IA drills by the officer.

I'm sure BBC reporting logic would characterise that clip as a "largely peaceful" encounter with LE.

The "dead mans 10 seconds" hence why you keep shooting until the target is no longer a threat.
But a pistol caliber round is not going to have the knock down power of a rifle round.

The "dead mans 10 seconds" hence why you keep shooting until the target is no longer a threat.
But a pistol caliber round is not going to have the knock down power of a rifle round.
Said some one who has never fired a shot in anger.

5.7mm
4.8mm
9mm
10mm
You stand 25m away and I will shoot you with one of these.

The point was that you can shoot someone all you want, but if he still stabs you, you can still end up dead. The fact that he was also going to die doesn't help you much.

Present day Americans will look at how the British and French equipped their late 19th century colonial armies and say "those fools, didn't they realise that the revolver instantly made the sword and bayonet obsolete?" What they don't take into account is that the British and the French, unlike the Americans, were dealing with people who were armed with swords and spears and who attacked in massive numbers and were determined to get to close quarters regardless of the cost. The sword or bayonet would not only chop or stab the opponent, it will also defend against the opponent's sword or spear. And by "defend", I mean stop the weapon, not just harm the person holding it.

Today police wear stab-proof vests for very much the same reason. You can shoot someone who has a knife, but unlike in the movies very often he doesn't simply drop dead on the spot. Sometimes he just keeps coming. That he may eventually die doesn't do you any good at all if you die as well.

And you can do all the pistol drills in the world, but when it happens in real life it very often all goes to rat shit and doesn't work out the way you practised for.

This is a complex subject and a bit off topic for this thread, but as I said, it's a good example of how a pistol isn't a magic wand.

The point was that you can shoot someone all you want, but if he still stabs you, you can still end up dead. The fact that he was also going to die doesn't help you much.

Present day Americans will look at how the British and French equipped their late 19th century colonial armies and say "those fools, didn't they realise that the revolver instantly made the sword and bayonet obsolete?" What they don't take into account is that the British and the French, unlike the Americans, were dealing with people who were armed with swords and spears and who attacked in massive numbers and were determined to get to close quarters regardless of the cost. The sword or bayonet would not only chop or stab the opponent, it will also defend against the opponent's sword or spear. And by "defend", I mean stop the weapon, not just harm the person holding it.

Today police wear stab-proof vests for very much the same reason. You can shoot someone who has a knife, but unlike in the movies very often he doesn't simply drop dead on the spot. Sometimes he just keeps coming. That he may eventually die doesn't do you any good at all if you die as well.

And you can do all the pistol drills in the world, but when it happens in real life it very often all goes to rat shit and doesn't work out the way you practised for.

This is a complex subject and a bit off topic for this thread, but as I said, it's a good example of how a pistol isn't a magic wand.
Also, the “perp” could be wearing body armour, smoking pcp all afternoon, while getting pissed off at an old man asking him to wear a mask.

Pelvic girdle, Terminal.

Somehow I have a feeling I will be able to tag you from a bit further out. Back to spinning you go.View attachment 489913
Ooh shine, you claimed pistol rounds wouldn’t stop people, I didn’t claim rifle rounds would not.

So one shot each, I go first since your super confident that any of the pistol rounds I listed wouldn’t drop you at 25m?

Ooh shine, you claimed pistol rounds wouldn’t stop people, I didn’t claim rifle rounds would not.

So one shot each, I go first since your super confident that any of the pistol rounds I listed wouldn’t drop you at 25m?
No I didn't say they would not stop people but they are not as effective at stopping people. Hence you shoot till they are no longer a threat.

You had better be aiming for center mass especially if you are using an unfamiliar pistol and praying I don't have a pc. But then again as a new member of the RAF reserves how often do you go out of your office and go shoot the G17?

No I didn't say they would not stop people but they are not as effective at stopping people. Hence you shoot till they are no longer a threat.

You had better be aiming for center mass especially if you are using an unfamiliar pistol and praying I don't have a pc. But then again as a new member of the RAF reserves how often do you go out of your office and go shoot the G17?
There’s a nice 25m range I use every week. A new member of the RAF Reserves been in and out for over 25 years. A large part of that regular, also I am on a FTRS contract.