Police or Fire Service

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by redduke748, Dec 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just curious...

Which would people prefer to be, and would say was the best career long term? (Talking more career, pension, prospect type things, as opposed to "hate the rozzers, they gave me a parking ticket" or "water fairies phukced up my leave with Op Fresco" type things!) :)

2. Dont matter seeing as none are recruiting round my way!!

3. Silly silly question, my pals a firefighter and put it this way he gets to spray over more women with his hose than fires. Its a fanny pass.

4. As a sprayer of water, I have to say it depends what area of the country you are in. I cannot comment on the police,but we are working under totally different rules purely dependant on which brigade you work for.
    (and there are times we envy the police,no matter what they say)

5. Smudge, that's kind of what I'm getting at. Let's say for arguments sake Suffolk FRS. And does the FRS pension stack up against the Police, or is that down to individual counties too?. (And I'm slightly baffled why Trumpton would ever be envious of the police, unless they get thrills from endless paperwork!)

6. I work for the police and can simply suggest you look elsewhere. No respect for anyone, very poor management. And if you thought that whilst in the forces you were just a number the police are worse.
    :x

7. Look at the long term benefits to decide

Police is now 35yrs to get half final salary pension with a 6.5% contribution of your monthly wage.

Not sure about Fire Brigade.

The FB round here work four on four off, the sleep on their nights, and are hardly disturbed, so have 6 out of 8 days to do a second job.

So consider the benefits and not just the daily work involved.

8. The shift pattern is very attractive, as you say, 4 on and 4 off, and two of those are nights, which they seem to sleep through most of the time. Oppose that to my current shift pattern, which is 7 on and 2 off, and you start seeing the pull. And Inch_High is spot on, I have never worked for an organisation that has such unveiled contempt for its staff. (Unless you are a civvie, of course!)

9. As i said it is dependant on the brigade. There are some things that are national,such as pay. Pensions too i think,which is for new starters 40 years (yes 40) for final salary pension which is 8.5%contributory.
    However the shifts are different all over the country as each chief fire officer tries to make monetary savings and some just want to shaft their men!
    With the european working time directive there has been a knock on effect on whether people have to sign new contracts so they can be exempt from the maximum number of working hours in a week.
    Things are very complicated I'm afraid.
    If you are looking into possible employment,check the shifts that the lads are working in that area. Also keep an eye on possible regionalisation.If that comes,there will be more changes.
    Hope that has been helpful. There is plenty more to tell,but too much for this now.
    Cheers

10. I had some cnuts trying to nick my alloys a while back. (early hours of the morning, had one wheel off, got disturbed, cops caught them at the top end of my estate) The general 'couldn't give a fcuk' attitude of the police surprised me. I thought it was a clear cut case of catching them in the act near enough.

They took my alloy wheel off me as evidence and kept it for a lifetime. Every time I phoned to enquire (if I could get my wheel back or if they had chopped the hands off the scrotes) they fcuked me off and said i would have to come to the station. So in I went numerous times, to get fcuked around by a sort of half policeman who worked at the main desk (had red rank tabs on?). Also got eye-balled by every policepersons who walked by, obviously thinking i was some scrotey cnut aswell.

Every one I spoke to, from the 2 officers initially at the time, through to the ones at the station came across as being very apathetic.

Maybe working in that enviroment for that sort of heirachy does that to you? All I know is it has put me off ever considering becoming a police officer.

On the other hand I covered the fire strikes in 2002 and also went on a fire fighting course for my job offshore so I can make up part of the heli deck and rig emergency team. I fcuking love it and allways get amongst it on the weekly drills. You can usually hear me telling people to 'listen in' 'points to note' 'on me' 'standby- GO!' etc etc.

I'd apply to my local brigade, but they only seem interested in recruiting ethnic minorities or females. Fair play to them I suppose.

11. Rigrat,

Unfortunately that is another sign of our times in that the best people for the job...hard-working,physically fit and strong are no longer good enough.
    The first two attributes are racial background and gender.
    These are a definite advantage in the first stages of the recruitment process.

Cheers Smudge

12. Saying that on both my Police courses (Staff and SC) There were 16 on the Staff one with one black guy and on the SC course there were 10 of us with no ethnic minorities at all. I think its a bit of a myth.

In my team there are no ethnic minorities at all, and thats in a team of about 40.

13. What about a career in the Prison Service ,there recruiting at the moment

14. I was in a prison a couple of days ago (through the job, I hasten to add), and I'd rather stick pins up my ass!. I know they aren't supposed to be cheery holiday camps (depsite what the Wail would have you believe), but they really are the most depressing places on earth. Not for this call sign at all.

15. My job brings me into contact with the main three emergency services and RNLI, coast guard and mountain rescue as well as MOD.

Coast guard are under resourced but seem to have strong dependable management and a good ethos. They always deleiver what they say they will.
    FRS seem like a happy well co-ordinated bunch, where a bit of independant thought is considered a benefit. Probably comes from most of their management deploying with staff at larger incidents, co-ordinating incidents and lots of opportunities for team work and getting in the thick of it.
    Ambulance service appear to have similar qualities as FRS.
    PSNI couldn't find their arse with both hands and a sat nav enabled enema. Individual junior officers appear to be stifled by in-decision and their mangement grades are worse. As individuals most of the guys are sterling; as an organisation, complete pantaloons.

In my opinion as an observer who never has worked for any of them.