Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police Officer with a Pace stick?

Congratulations on your promotion to Sergeant, Plodswallop. Now, off you pop and find a nice long sergeanty sort of stick for yourself.

No Plodswallop, we have no prescribed pattern of Stick, Sergeant, Signalling For The Use Of. We are not the army you know. Right, double away and find your own stick, there’s a good chap.

No. "That phrase."

"Being offensive is an offence." I saw that it was blatantly untrue immediately. How come no copper did?
Having once been in a syndicate with a few of Merseyside's finest, I once quoted the old saying;
"I once knew a policeman so stupid, the other policemen noticed "

Only the Chief Insp. got it, and he didn't think it was terribly funny.

( He was issued with the big stick too!)

No. "That phrase."

"Being offensive is an offence." I saw that it was blatantly untrue immediately. How come no copper did?
Apologies- I completely blanked out the word "phrase" when I read your post!

I recall that a few decades ago, sergeants in the Liverpool Police - I'm not sure if it was called Merseyside police then, used to carry swagger sticks outside the Bridewell.

Superintendent or above.
Inspectors and Ch Inspectors have black braid on the hat brim

Experience would tell me the same, however here we have an Inspector alongside a Chief Super both with bling on their hats.

JS41831889.jpg

Back to: Pace Sticks, recruits beasting, for the use of..........

The drill Sgt's at the various police training centres used to carry them as they had attended the all arms drill course at Pirbright.

Have never seen this before, he looks like an Inspector, is there a Police rank where Pace sticks are issued/bought?

View attachment 551904
Hmmm ... evokes memories of observing Nepalese and Indian Formed Police Units confronting civil disobedience events: the rank and file were equipped with “lathi”, an approximately 1” thick 6’ long cane tipped with about 5” of lead insert, with which to attract the attention of fore-mentioned civil disobedients, by subtle application to knee-caps or ankles ... other bodily regions are available. During said activities the senior personnel would stand back, aloof, vocally encouraging these subtle applications; theirs is not to overly exert themselves.

Is it possible to charge the Police with "wasting the public's time"?

WALT

LE
I can't help think it's rather rich coming from a community, which has some extremely odd traditions and uniforms, criticising something as innocuous as a stick.

Nobody here has criticised the plod for using a stick. Looking like knobheads whilst standing in front of a ill conceived sign.......oh yes.

Actually the info about their sticks has been mildly informative and mildly amusing.

The drill Sgt's at the various police training centres used to carry them as they had attended the all arms drill course at Pirbright.

The drill sergeant at Hendon was not even a proper sergeant, he was given three stripes by virtue of his role. I'm not even sure that he was a police officer. He may just have been a specially employed civvy. Ours was an ex- Scots Guardsman. His name, I think, was Donnelly.

The drill sergeant at Hendon was not even a proper sergeant, he was given three stripes by virtue of his role. I'm not even sure that he was a police officer. He may just have been a specially employed civvy. Ours was an ex- Scots Guardsman. His name, I think, was Donnelly.

Ours was an ex-Bootie who joined Devon & Cornwall, posted to the training centre and sent on the long drill course. I'm sure by now he is pounding the heavenly beat; Fred Farrer, a legend, known and remembered by everyone who ever came under his tutelage, a truly good bloke. He effectively acted as the training centre RSM running interference with the powers that be for us young misguided plods.

Experience would tell me the same, however here we have an Inspector alongside a Chief Super both with bling on their hats.

JS41831889.jpg

Back to: Pace Sticks, recruits beasting, for the use of..........

They got a car to hide in if things get dicey or is that just the met?