Police officer charged with murder

So far as I'm aware, no English court has yet convicted an officer in a homicide case like this. Maybe it's been put up for a jury decision to clear the air, and defray the inevitable backlash afterward from different pressure groups.

Green_Homer

War Hero
It's ridiculous that cases like this can't be fast- tracked......... if you've got something like this on your plate, it can ruin your life and career, if it's dragged on for years.
Tony Long's ordeal lasted 10yrs!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
he had health issues !!!!

and a heart problem

a great pity as he was once a very talented footballer, and catalyst for many other young men to work hard to succeed in the game

but his drug use contributed to his medical condition, sad really as footballers tend to stay fit into old age
Apart from the ones who develop Alzheimers as a result of blunt force trauma to the head from heading the ball for years.....

You think so? I know of a few locals and one of my customers who have actually shot and killed burglars. Not one was charged, although one went to an interview room overnight.

Edit: Seems to be a CA thing.

C.D. Michel, firearms law attorney and spokesman for the California Rifle and Pistol Association—the official state association of the National Rifle Association founded in 1875—explained that there is a law in California that creates a legal presumption that when you use deadly force to defend yourself against an intruder in your home, you’re presumed to be acting in lawful self defense.
They do all twaddle on about it like they are some kind of Rambo in waiting, getting ready for that moment, that night........seriously it is sad sometimes. Yes there are those who have done it no arguments there, but they are in the minority.

Plenty of States see you charged with murder, interviewed and in the case of Texas up in front of a Grand Jury. Many places they simply go through the motions on paper because it is a clear cut case of self defence and the person is out the next morning.

A note on the 'intruder' and 'murder' thing though: The police do not know it is an intruder until they have investigated, if you have a wife or girlfriend at home it is easy because she corroborates your story. However, if you are alone then it takes some investigation............not too difficult if the scrote has left his car parked up the street.

CatsEyes

War Hero
I've read a fair few "legal" quotes on the internet about this today, including definitions of the offences the officers have been charged with. Putting it all together, I suspect there's a lot more detail of the case to be had that anyone on ARRSE or any other forums has access to. Like a successful outcome of being constipated, it should all come out eventually.

anglo

LE
The two groups most likely to be killed by the effects of a Taser are the alcohol abuser
and drug addict, {being mostly under weight compounds the situation}
These are the people most likely to get Tasered by Mr plod, if the Taser prods are
fired into the chest* area and one shock is given, due to the person {mentioned above}
having less muscle** the effect of the shock wares off quicker so another shock is given,
If more than two shocked are given in quick succession there is a high chance of death
This puts Mr Plod in between a rock and a hard place, if he Tasers the person {and he dies}
, or he doesn't Taser the person and the person goes on do harm to third party/s
Mr plod is in sh*t either way
The powers that be says that the police shall carry and use Tasers, so the
responsibility lays with them

* You should try to avoid the chest area if you can
** The more muscular you are the greater the effect of the Taser

The BEEB, of course, forgot to balance the piece with a reminder of Atkinson being out of his head on drink and drugs, trying to kick the door in of his dad's house and dad wouldn't let him in because he was obviously afraid for his own safety.
He was tasered up to three times according to early reports but we will have to wait and see what comes out in the trial.

(I was never taser trained, nor even saw one, so I couldn't comment on procedures and use.)
So dangerous bloke, under the influence of drugs and alcohol is not cooperative and gets zapped up to three times?? Then dies because he has health issues. The tail is wagging the dog in Old Blighty.

From what I can gather, Tazer is used as a last ,less than lethal option when dealing with a violent or armed suspect.
I know a couple of coppers and it's not something that is used for shits & giggles. If it's deployed, even just "Red Dotting" someone it's a ton of paperwork justifying why you've had to do it.
Even using your gas aerosol has a small hillock of paperwork attached to it as it is covered under Section 5 of the Firearms Act. Sometimes, depending on the scrote, you even have to justify why you deployed it nevermind using it.

So far as I'm aware, no English court has yet convicted an officer in a homicide case like this. Maybe it's been put up for a jury decision to clear the air, and defray the inevitable backlash afterward from different pressure groups.
When they were only issued to firearms officers I remember the blokes who delivered the training to us telling us that they were perfectly safe to use. And, that they would only stun/incapacitate and not kill anyone, including people with pacemakers.

In the US many police academy's treat it as a rite of passage for trainee cops to be tased. I have seen their display stands at expo's where they offer up incentives to be tased, all a bit limp, but if it keeps them happy.

Obviously the officers failed in their duty of care by failing to consult with the suspects Doctor before using taser.
Why wasn't this poor chap given a complete physical first...

There's a lesson in here somewhere:

Don't be an absolute thundercunt who has chosen to take shitloads of drugs and subsequently started on a copper who was forced to deploy taser.

Yes, he was once decent at kicking a ball around. No, that does not mitigate the fact that he was a bit of a shitcunt who chose to smash loads of drugs and behave very illegally.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Unfortunately, our fantastic legal system has dragged this out, ruining the life of a copper who simply acted to defend themselves from a violent, drugged up criminal.

I'd say let the judicial process run its course. The evidence will be presented and put to a jury. If there is wrongdoing then it will be dealt with according to law.

That's it, really.

BlackDyke

War Hero
I'd say let the judicial process run its course. The evidence will be presented and put to a jury. If there is wrongdoing then it will be dealt with according to law.

That's it, really.
You are absolutely right of course.
They also say that justice delayed is justice denied.

So dangerous bloke, under the influence of drugs and alcohol is not cooperative and gets zapped up to three times?? Then dies because he has health issues. The tail is wagging the dog in Old Blighty.
Certainly hard to imagine that in a street with witnesses, wrongdoing took place, or that this is the only time sh-it has happened and nobody filmed it.
If it is all about taser use causing the heart attack then the charge should be corporate manslaughter and senior officers, and politicians, get to grip the rail, for once.

There's a lesson in here somewhere:

Don't be an absolute thundercunt who has chosen to take shitloads of drugs and subsequently started on a copper who was forced to deploy taser.

Yes, he was once decent at kicking a ball around. No, that does not mitigate the fact that he was a bit of a shitcunt who chose to smash loads of drugs and behave very illegally.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Unfortunately, our fantastic legal system has dragged this out, ruining the life of a copper who simply acted to defend themselves from a violent, drugged up criminal.
If the copper killed him unlawfully our fantastic legal system will have worked.

As opposed to a person sitting in there own home and a cop enters thinking it’s there’s, the round count thereafter makes Fallujah look quiet.

innocent home owner killed cop sacked and charged.

As opposed to a person sitting in there own home and a cop enters thinking it’s there’s, the round count thereafter makes Fallujah look quiet.

innocent home owner killed cop sacked and charged.
Do you have a specific example in mind? LE is not above prosecution here. But they do have to be able to perform their duties without fear of needlessly being thrown under the bus. Least it turn into a profession that nobody wants to join.

From what I can gather, Tazer is used as a last ,less than lethal option when dealing with a violent or armed suspect.
I know a couple of coppers and it's not something that is used for shits & giggles. If it's deployed, even just "Red Dotting" someone it's a ton of paperwork justifying why you've had to do it.
Same deal with your ASP baton, just making it visible out of its sheath was enough to have you writing more feverishly than Andy McNab.

Latest Threads