Police Officer Attacked by Theif

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by flipflop, Apr 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4952482.stm

The Policewoman in question was astounded that no-one, including some 'fit-looking' men, came to her aid. I am astounded that the Police has reduced its fitness requirements to accommodate WPCs and that there is no mandatory annual fitness testing for the Police.
  2. She shoudln't be too suprised when noone helped, the last thing anyone needs is to be up in court over a charge of assault on a thief. Especially when that WPC would probably be told to give evidence against you!
  3. msr

msr LE

Hold on - this shit's punched her in the face and then run over her foot.

She's a club runner who has entered a 37 mile race!

No amount of fitness is going to help her in these circumstances.

4. The injury means the officer, who is well known in running circles, is out of the forthcoming 37-mile Old County Tops Mountain trial in the Lakes and an Orienteering Championships.

how fit do you want her to be? Able to catch up with a car (while she only uses one foot maybe?)
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Compare the attitude of the public in this incident and some of the jack coppers seen in last night's C4 documentary. A few years ago plenty of bystanders would have stepped in to help the policewoman - but then a few years ago people could be confident that the police would always come to help them when called. Times have changed, and not for the better.
  6. She used to be known in running circles

But thanks to the broken foot she's now known for running in circles.
  7. I think in fairness to the officer, she was after all off-duty, she did what she could with all the help that WASN'T forthcoming. It seems Joe Public can't even be arrsed to be apathetic.

I was never a picture of physical fitness as I'm sure any who knew me would testify under oath but if I was doing my physical best and a six footer smacked me in the face and drove over my foot, I'm fcuking dead sure there would be a slight performance drop.
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Oneshot beat me to it. if the justice system is this country was weighted toward the victims, then yes. but you know the minute you put a hand on one of these little shits they'd be running to the nearest ambulance chaser law firm to slap a suit on you for infringing their 'human rights' quicker than they could file a false unemployment claim. (and every time you hear one of these little scrotes whining about their 'rights', you can guarantee they've been making life a misery for some other poor sod.)
  9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I am afraid that the policing authorities (Home Office and Constabularies) as a whole have brought this upon individual officers. The police have removed incentives for experienced, ex service people to join and now select by PC criteria from initial interview through to the training course resulting in too many officers with a lack of maturity needed to deal with the role.

At the same time senior officers are encouraged to join in political campaigns in return for honours and statistaically and morally dodgy enforcement policies such as "safety camera partnerships" that criminalise the easily traced and generally law abiding whilst issueing cautions to criminals.

Is it any wonder that, increasingly, the public regard the police as a system of governmental policy imposition rather than society's protector?

Edit for spelling
  10. It's sadly true, hence the apathy of Joe Public.
  11. Maybe she would have done a better job had she just run after him,and noted his car number,the arrest could have taken place with the cops in a much better position to make an arrest?

Taking on a thief who might even be on drugs is to my mind brave, but taking these risks is a no-win situation.The thief is busy cleaning up his flat,while the brave WPC is nursing a broken foot!

Having a go can be a costly experience,and as lives weren´t at risk I think less action would have been better.

I think I´m getting old!! 8O
  12. I wouldn't step in & help now. A few years ago there was an armed robbery near where i used to work. Four young scrotes tooled up with axe, bat & pistol parked up outside our office & left the getaway car running. One of our lads nicked the car & drove off leaving the blaggers stranded. We had a bit of a scuffle & ended up chasing & then catching the robbers. We got commendations & awards etc. Went to the big cop shop for the Lord Lt to do the presentations etc & the Police Gazette was there taking pics. Not for circualtion, no names released we were told.

Week after, the Sun, Star, Mirror etc all printed the story including our names. Next thing we get death threats, the full monty. The scumbags went down for 4yrs each but it was the cops who gave our details to the press. My ex-missus at the time was shitting herself & rightly so.

Same situation now? I'd stand back & watch. Too much to lose.

13. Got to agree with midnight, I'm sure the police ROE are keep out of personal danger, get back up and forward on any info gleened from the incident, car reg, description etc etc

Unfortunately getting a right hook stops most people in their tracks, doesn't matter if you can run up and down hills or not, what this is seems to be saying is physically she was very fit..... Over emphasising the fitness aspect of it a bit too much.

Bottom line, she was off duty, out of uniform, she didn't follow SOP's and had ago (good effort) what did she expect the public to do, bloke and a women tussling in the supermarket carpark, probably lasted 20 seconds.

I'd probably put it down to a domestic and observe from afar.

If she is an eight stone fell runner she should know her limits, this will probably come with experience.
  14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The fact she is well known in the fell-Running circuit would not apply to this PC.
  15. Not edited enough - but damn my pedantry Sir!

Have to agree with most of the sentiments here. But wasn't she off duty and we have to assume out of uniform? In which case slight female taking a clobbering from a monstrous oaf and not a single knight in shining armour to help out? More a comment on our social 'development' methinks rather than any relationship Joe Public may have with Her Majesty's Constabulary!