Police may be forced to delete records

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by theoriginalphantom, Jul 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. not found this elsewhere.

from the times
    and

now is this a good thing? Isn't it about time that those not charged with an offence or convicted be taken off the system, or will it be a blow to law enforcement? Will be we cursing the human rights laws in a few years time when someone slips through who could have been caught using stored DNA?

2. Thank God for that

3. There used to be a little thing in this country about being presumed innocent until proven otherwise.
    Despite atempts to destroy that ethos over recent years it should still be a fundemental right.
    My DNA is on file and I seriously object to it being so.
    My crime? traffic offences, does that really mean I'm a muurder or rapist in waiting? No, I think not.
    Its quite right that these records should be reviewed and not kept just in case somebody like myself suddenly decides to become a mass murderer who could be tracked down via my DNA.

4. It's not so much the database itself that's the problem, TOPs, but the arrseholes who have access to, including the present and future slimy gobment arrseholes, and who WILL misuse and abuse it.

It's the thin-end-of-the-wedge, slippery-slope aspect again. The proof that such things and also laws are thoroughly abused and misused by all manner of scumbags is blatantly evident. This database will be no exception.

I reckon it's a good thing that somebody's finally woken up and taken steps to dampen down all this unnecessary surveillance. Yes, I agree that here and there some nonce might walk, but that's the nature of the beast. Due to the misuse and abuse that WILL happen, the alternative that at some point in the future every citizen will have to give a DNA sample by law just doesn't bear thinking about.

MsG

5. That seems like excellent news. Many people do silly things as kids, and it is a crying shame when such things come back and bite them on their arrses in later years when they have become solid, honest citizens.

Obviously there must be some exceptions, but this piecemeal system of some forces keeping some things for 100 years and others weeding records routinely is a joke. Time for national standards, this whole CRB issue is becoming ridiculous.

As for DNA taking, I have no real objection to it if we're all put on the database, not just those who are merely arrested and never charged for any offence.

I line with what Bugsy says, I think it's far better a handful of guilty suspects are left to roam free (until they are eventually caught red handed) than for an entire population to be treated as suspects and their lives ruined by a police state.

6. I think that if it was:-

A) A Minor Offence (eg possession of class C drug, D&D, theft <£50, Damage <£100 or similar).
    B) They received a caution for it.
    C) They have not reoffended since.
    D) They're under the age 17 (after that you really should know better)

Then, after 3 years the record should be deleted. Though the police should still be able to keep the DNA and descriptive details of the person that are collected during the prosecution process.

We've all done something a bit dull when we were younger, me included, there's no point in continuing to make life hard for someone who's done something a bit silly.

Edited for mlaaar spelling

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Why keep the DNA? Surely without the details names adresses etc its worthless?

8. I did say "along with the descriptive details" This includes, name address, date of birth, and description. This is kept on the PNC but is not a criminal record.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So in addition to the pnc having all sgc and fac holders details it will still apparently hold illegally all the dna and personal details of persons not charged and those juveniles where reoffending hasnt occurred for more than 3 years?
    Great now I know why I love this country!

10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I was all for this, when I thought it meant the wholesale destruction of records, such as those by Ken dodd, Black Lace and anyone who uses the names that include a hyphen and a letter; ie, Jay-Z .

However, since it means something else, then yes. It's not a bad thing.

Our ruling elite have become obsessed to the point of madness with recording and collating details of all of us. Simply put, they would be best pleased were a chip implanted in each and every one of us recording every movement, deed and thought that we make.

The collection of dna and it's entry on a national database may seem like a good idea in the fight against crime or the war on terror, and it certainly has produced some startling rsults. But, just pause for a moment. Do we have a government that we trust? Do we have trust and faith in our police (and I do rule out the foot soldiers here)?
    Is it totally beyond the bounds of possibility that if there were to be someone whom the government wanted silenced, or discredited, could not the database be manipulated? Could "evidence" be found to fit the facts?

Yes, I know it sounds far fetched, and like the plot of a bad novel. It will be said that it could not happen, there are too many safeguards. But who controls those safeguards?
    Of course it could not happen. Just as a leading scientist, a critic of the government and a whistleblower who was found dead in strange circumstances, could not possibly have been muredered, nor his death covered up. No, Dr David Kelly's death was straightforward, just as no government department would ever misuse the dna databse or any other records.

11. So, they are no longer criminals but you would still like to see data on them kept? That IMO is wrong, why should you have access to data such as that, just "incase" someone re-offends?

Goes against the basic principles of human freedoms if you ask me

12. It doesn't matter what the law says. the government will simply send all the details abroad for foreign governments to keep, if they have to delete the info here. Your ID, DNa, iris scan etc does not belong to you, they belong to the state and they can do anything they want with them. (so labour believe anyway.)

13. It would be a good thing if people whose DNA was taken when arrested but not charged was removed. These days it is very easy for a victim of crime to end up being arrested. Anyone who has been found guilty of a recordable crime should have it retained.

Jagman. If they have your DNA for a 'traffic offence' it can't have been for something minor and not recordable. Driving over the alcohol/drugs limit, disqualified driving, unauthorised taking of a conveyance, deat b dangerous driving, to some people these are 'traffic offences.

14. Keeping such details makes a mockery of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Where the conviction is spent, so should the records be removed.

15. that applies only if we are a nation of citizens. We are a nation of suspects, nothing more.

cynical, moi?