Police Manpower Cuts & selling off Police Stations

With the Tory-Conm's obsession with 'short-terminism' in public funding cuts to local government, police etc:; and the increase in serious crimes such as knife, rape, assault and murder. Should the police make use of Military secure accommodations like the MCTC outside Colchester, Essex to house the overflow of prisoners and arrestees with the closure of Police Custody Suites around the country?

With the reductions in manpower of all three Armed Forces, the numbers of SUS undergoing training at MCTC has reduced in recent years. Rather than close down the Military Prison as well, should the MoD and Police forces form a partnership of sorts to make more use of the facility. The need for police custody cells is especially a problems in the East Anglia area with the Tory's obsession with cutting police numbers and good, functioning police stations with custody suites. Even Courts are being closed down and the buildings sold off.

Has he Conservative government gone too far in these cases?

With the Tory-Conm's obsession with 'short-terminism' in public funding cuts to local government, police etc:; and the increase in serious crimes such as knife, rape, assault and murder. Should the police make use of Military secure accommodations like the MCTC outside Colchester, Essex to house the overflow of prisoners and arrestees with the closure of Police Custody Suites around the country?

With the reductions in manpower of all three Armed Forces, the numbers of SUS undergoing training at MCTC has reduced in recent years. Rather than close down the Military Prison as well, should the MoD and Police forces form a partnership of sorts to make more use of the facility. The need for police custody cells is especially a problems in the East Anglia area with the Tory's obsession with cutting police numbers and good, functioning police stations with custody suites. Even Courts are being closed down and the buildings sold off.

Who will staff these places? The Prison Service tell us the woeful lack of staff is already making prisons unsafe.Private companies doing the job? they need a profit.Can't see it ever happening.

You will probably find that detainees possibly wont get a custodial sentence for AWOL soon. The americans are trailing it - just an admin discharge now. It would not surprise if the brits follow suit. Albiet I can see desertion still being a custodial offence. Its all about money and the MOD has overspent and they need to do some salami slicing somewhere...

ugly

LE
Who will staff these places? The Prison Service tell us the woeful lack of staff is already making prisons unsafe.Private companies doing the job? they need a profit.Can't see it ever happening.
I visit prisons, women ones anyway and I have endured both private and HMP facilities. Very little to choose between them to be honest!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I visit prisons, women ones anyway and I have endured both private and HMP facilities. Very little to choose between them to be honest!
I used to do that too, until the injunction.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
When I joined it was 11 weeks, followed by a further 2 weeks back at division then 2 other sessions of a week each over the 2 years probation.
Of course in those days young Sir Robert Peel used to take some of the lectures.

I thought police basic was longer than nine weeks.
It has varied wildly over the last decade, 11 years ago when I joined, it was 23 weeks. Most new police recruits now are ex PCSOs and Special Constables who have had to pay for a University based knowledge course themselves and have learnt a lot of the basics whilst employed or volunteering. Therefore basic courses have been slimmed down.

Most Detained Persons in Police Custody are there for less than 24 hours and are in varying states of sobriety and attitude on arrival. I don’t think MCTC is designed for that type of detention.

Student Officers or Probationers return to do training modules and attachments throughout the 2 years and have an extensive portfolio to complete towards an NVQ 4 or Foundation Degree dependant on Force.

Latest Threads