• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Police LSCG medal - Its a long wait

In line with almost every other country in the world, the United Kingdom rewards the men & women of it's Emergency Services for the valuable work they do, risking their lives every day of their service, with a Long Service Medal. The Police Service after 22 years. Fire & Rescue Service after 20 years. Ambulance Service after 20 years. Prison Service after 20 years. I urge the Prime Minister to please instruct the relevant body to prepare an ammendment that would allow the Queen to reduce the award point of the Police long service medal from the current 22 year point to a new 20 year point. This ammendment would be extremely simplistic, and it would cost little or nothing to impliment. But what it would do is bring fairness, equality and continuity to ALL the long service medal award points within the United Kingdom Emergency Services.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/plsgcm/

hellweg said:
In line with almost every other country in the world, the United Kingdom rewards the men & women of it's Emergency Services for the valuable work they do, risking their lives every day of their service, with a Long Service Medal. The Police Service after 22 years. Fire & Rescue Service after 20 years. Ambulance Service after 20 years. Prison Service after 20 years. I urge the Prime Minister to please instruct the relevant body to prepare an ammendment that would allow the Queen to reduce the award point of the Police long service medal from the current 22 year point to a new 20 year point. This ammendment would be extremely simplistic, and it would cost little or nothing to impliment. But what it would do is bring fairness, equality and continuity to ALL the long service medal award points within the United Kingdom Emergency Services.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/plsgcm/
I take it you're just about at your 20 year point then?

What is the point of the police LS&GC medal? Everyone gets it, whether your useless or the best. It's an achievement not to be awarded it. I never wore the ribbon and no-one ever even noticed.

Hmmm. Army LS&GC is issued at? And with respect, I don't think every member of every part of the emergency services risks their life every day. Why don't you just be good for 24 more months?

That said, I wound up about 30days short for an ACSM (if that's the right title)...

rockpile said:
What is the point of the police LS&GC medal? Everyone gets it, whether your useless or the best. It's an achievement not to be awarded it. I never wore the ribbon and no-one ever even noticed.
You get a free buffet, there's evry point to that. :D

Specials get theres at, wait for it, nine years, go figure.

There was a bloke in my intake in Hendon, in his early 30's who allready had it when he started basic training for the regs!

Trotsky

Trotsky said:

My Bold - Yes they do, so what? The TA get their long service medal a lot faster than the regular army; are you suggesting that they're brought into line?

The Specials medal is awarded earlier to recognise that they are making a commitment along side their full time employment.

WM

good for your mate. Some tecs won the iraqi reconstruction medal which bares the question if they had tunics would they be allowed to wear them?

Trotsky

Trotsky said:

There was a bloke in my intake in Hendon, in his early 30's who allready had it when he started basic training for the regs!

Trotsky
After 9 years of giving up their time for free I think they deserve it.

rockpile said:
No different to the three strands of the armed forces.

rockpile said:
Sad that you feel that way

hellweg said:
rockpile said:
Not really......A previous sergeant of mine received his long service/good conduct medal in an internal mail brown envelope without so much as an invite for a cuppa tea with the chief supt. Not exactly the image of a careing and grateful employer.

Johnny

Ventress

LE
johnnyonthespot said:
Not really......A previous sergeant of mine received his long service/good conduct medal in an internal mail brown envelope without so much as an invite for a cuppa tea with the chief supt. Not exactly the image of a careing and grateful employer.

Johnny
The Old Bill are the worse employers I've come across, they make the MoD look compassionate.

A mate of mine was told to turn up at Div HQ for his LS&GC presentation which he duly did, only to be told the presentation had been cancelled because the ACPO rank due to present it had gone sick. They never even bothered to let him know about the cancellation......
That said, mine is due in March 2010. I intend going to HQ for a proper day out, free lunch & bunch of flowers for Mrs.BDS, simply because I can.

hellweg said:
rockpile said:
Perhaps you can elaborate on why I should feel so elated about receiving a gong that doesn't mark me out as having achieved any more than the most uselss and inefficient member of the relief.

Seagull. You are correct in the fine buffet aspect. The Met caterers did a fine job. I attended with two young and attractive female members who are part of the 'visual minority' and was pestered by senior officers who were like flies round a jam pot. I could hardly eat a samosa.

ugly

LE
Fecking hell you get a great pension albeit paid a lot into and if you are canny you can sue the job for discrimination and walk away with millions, and you want a medal for 22 years of undetected perjury?

Latest Threads