Police lose over 5300 firearms in two years.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Cutaway, Jun 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

From the same people who are trying to convince the populace that the only safe place for a firearm is in their tender care comes this admission - and it wouldn't surprise me if the figures have been massaged down to make the police appear more responsible than is the case.
    To those of us who have had to deal with the SAPS on a regular basis this comes as no great surprise, but how do others react, especially as the country is playing host to many visitors from overseas for the next few weeks ?
    Does it change anyone's views on the arming of every Brit police officer ?

2. I have seen a police indoor pistol range. The ceiling had more holes in it than Tropper's flakvest.
  3. Doesn't change my view that more (not necessarily all) UK police officers should be armed. Let's be fair, whilst the Brit plod don't always get it right, they're probably a far more professional and less corrupt organisation than the OB in South Africa.

Probably would have been a bit more of an accurate thread title if you said SA police lose 5300 firearms eh?
  4. The fact that this is about the South African Police, did require that I was several paragraphs in to the article before I lost interest.
    Why would the South African police, losing firearms, be of any import as to possible regulations in the UK anyway?
  5. I suspect a significant percentage of Cumbrians would agree with you in light of recent events.

While the courage of the unarmed officers who attempted to follow Bird while he was playing GTA: Cumbria is not in doubt, the fact remains that is had they been armed, lives would have been saved.

However, I don't see it happening; firearms training costs money and CivPol is as fcuked as everyone else in that respect...
  6. Having had the pleasure of the company of both overnight, I can assure you that the SA police treated me far more fairly and graciously than our own filth (though I still think it likely that they helped themselves to my phone and wallet).
  7. I wonder how many of these 'lost' weapons found their way into AWB hands? Odd that the article should be printed now, with the World Cup imminent...or maybe just well-timed...(gnaws tinfoil hat)
  8. Why ? What happened in Cumbria ?
  9. A crime against humanity was committed - he missed you.
  10. He deserves to be shot for such a p1ss-poor Wah... :roll:
  11. The South Wales Police,back in the early 80s built an indoor range without any ventiation system, and then wondered why they were all getting lead poisoning
  12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I think you've misunderstood the post.
    I wasn't implying that this would have any effect on the private ownership of firearms in the UK but asking two different questions.

1. What is the view of posters on this, (in my opinion massive,) loss of wpns, particularly in light of the floods of foreign visitors for the forthcoming World Cup and the reputation ZA has for violent crime ?

2. I also wondered if the fact that a police service well versed in carrying firearms can lose so many in such a short time would have any effect, either way, on people's thoughts regarding arming the British police.

As you are probably aware, the SAPS are issued firearms as a matter of routine, and the officers therefore become very familiar with carrying them.
    Over a period of time this can lead to the offrs treating them like any other item of eqpt and becoming lax in their drills and security of the items.

Should the police in Britain all be armed on a day to day basis I'm sure effective methods regarding the security of the wpns will be put in place, but a few years down the line when buckling on a pistol is part of the offrs' everyday, it would be difficult to guarantee that neither weapons nor ammunition will go missing.
  13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I imagine that the AWB question was tongue in cheek, but if not then I'd guess between very, very few and vokoll.

As to the timing of the article, Nathi Mthethwa released the information on Wed 02 Jun I believe.

I think the tinfoil trilby can be if not removed, then at least held in reserve.
  14. Between Jan06 to Dec 08 the MOD lost 35 pistols,42 rifles,and 3 Machine guns, and over 40.000 rounds of ammunition in one way or another. and at least one police officer, WPC Rachael Brown was killed with one of these weapons
  15. Thats nowt. Between Nov 08 and Jun 10 I lost 6980 minutes of my life reading your shite cut n paste posts and black dogging exploits.