Police list Extinction Rebellion as 'extremist ideology' - and then changed their mind!

The Guardian is reporting that Extinction Rebellion has been listed as an extremist ideology.
Does this mean that the powers that be will now start to clamp down on their activities?
Mods, I know that there is another long running ER thread, but I do feel that this latest news deserves it's own thread.
However, feel free to merge this one with the ongoing one.

"UK counter-terrorism police list Extinction Rebellion as 'extremist ideology,' The Guardian reports" UK counter-terrorism police list Extinction Rebellion as 'extremist ideology,' The Guardian reports

Edited to add: It appears that I am mistaken. Apparently, the police had a change of heart after being approached by The Guardian.
FFS.

Last edited:
According to the link it was in a prevent leaflet which has already been withdrawn.

I don't think we're going to see Greta hauled off to chokey anytime soon.

According to the link it was in a prevent leaflet which has already been withdrawn.

I don't think we're going to see Greta hauled off to chokey anytime soon.
Yeah, I edited my original post to mention this when I realised mate.
Sorry gents.
However, it does beg the question as to why they (ie the powers that be) changed their minds.

This came out earlier in the year, highlighting the extremist origins of XR

One of the issues that does crop up is that for all their tactics/approaches/awareness raising, its all mostly greenwash.
This nutter doesn't really rate them

Today, Extinction Rebellion and the climate strike movement haven’t quite embraced the population’s contribution to the crisis. Other high-profile population awareness organisations are working hard to be acceptable, so suggest zero or one offspring, and still say stop at two. Two is too many: computer models suggest even one-child families would result in 5-10 billion people by 2100.

XR are wusses, modest proposals such as these are well beyond them...

I'm more interested now as to why the decision was reversed mate.
I would think because someone realised the wah level would outweigh any useful intelligence from likely uncooperative 'partners' in the prevent programme.

It manna from heaven for guardian sorts, little Cressida being put on a list with ISIS just because she doesn't want the planet destroyed by the bad orange man and his rich friends etc.

Enviro nutters are also a bad fit for prevent, the radical ones go through a pretty public arc before they start plotting to blow up power stations so tradition intel gathering on demos, membership of groups etc should light them up more effectively than hoping their teacher or social worker grasses them up.

Indeed so. Wonder if the Home Secretary was consulted....
Good point.
I'm wondering whether this has come to light now because the usual outrage papers are preoccupied with Harry and Meghan.

Latest Threads