Police gone soft?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
There was a serving/ex copper who did a series on Radio 4 a while back who 'swore in' the audience and then ran them through various scenarios drawn from his experiences. he came up one case of a drunk and disorderly on a Saturday night and asked the audience whether to arrest the man or give him a verbal warning, he then pointed out that there were only three or so cops in the area and arresting the man would mean he was off the street for at least an hour doing the paperwork.*

The audience agreed that a warning would probably suffice. All through this shift as various events occurred there simply weren't enough boots on the ground to arrest the 'minor' offenders until they pushed their luck too far.

It was quite an eye opener to listen to.

Maybe handcuff them to a lamppost for a roving van to pick up Judge Dredd style might be looked at.:cool:
or Drunk Tanks
very common at one time

needlewaver

War Hero
I did not write that.
You are showing yourself to be twisting and turning rather than answering and I see no reason to bother with you any further.
Mind how you go

lextalionis

Old-Salt
One last time; how many more people are there to police now as to the sixties? How many more offences on the statute books?

You said yourself, numbers crashed post 2010. We are policing 2020 population numbers with police numbers that haven’t kept up.

You’re obsessed with the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I'm obsessed with the past because things seemed to work back then, with lower numbers and much less money splashing about.

You keep harping on about police numbers, but these have moved largely in tandem with the general population. The massive increase in crime (a hundred-fold, at least) occurs after "modern" police methods were introduced.

The old methods demonstrably worked for over a century, despite absolutely massive social changes and two world wars. The current methods have consistently failed, despite every possible adaptation and reform.

We haven't got money to waste; back to bobbies on the beat!

needlewaver

War Hero
[
I'm obsessed with the past because things seemed to work back then, with lower numbers and much less money splashing about.

You keep harping on about police numbers, but these have moved largely in tandem with the general population. The massive increase in crime (a hundred-fold, at least) occurs after "modern" police methods were introduced.

The old methods demonstrably worked for over a century, despite absolutely massive social changes and two world wars. The current methods have consistently failed, despite every possible adaptation and reform.

We haven't got money to waste; back to bobbies on the beat!
Like I said, visit your PCC.

lextalionis

Old-Salt
I have written to my PCC several times; once to bring the ability of the Chief Constable of Durham to reduce crime despite the cuts and, another time, to remind him of the Vagrancy Act and that begging is illegal and that this law should be enforced.

In return, I just receive the odd patronising email reminding me How Those Evil Tories Took Away Our Policemen.

Why can't people do their job?

needlewaver

War Hero
I have written to my PCC several times; once to bring the ability of the Chief Constable of Durham to reduce crime despite the cuts and, another time, to remind him of the Vagrancy Act and that begging is illegal and that this law should be enforced.

In return, I just receive the odd patronising email reminding me How Those Evil Tories Took Away Our Policemen.

Why can't people do their job?
Is that s3 or s4 of the Vagrancy Act? I know you hate the police but has it occurred that just maybe we’re not exaggerating? That nationally we have been seen off and there actually isn’t enough of us to function properly?

There’s 120,000 of us, we’re not all lazy twat. Anyway, earlies tomorrow, I’m off, don’t have nightmares.

6DE574AB-6BEE-4C99-A628-75F9EDF9A717.jpeg

Chef

LE
@solomon88 @ExREME.TECH

That's the badger, entertaining, informative and surprisingly funny for a BBC comedy slot

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, he was joking right? On a Saturday night in Brent or Hillingdon in the Met, it would take 4 hours just to book them into custody. I have happy memories of Hillingdon one summer night of groups of officers and there prisoners (still cuffed) sitting by the vans happily chatting away waiting to be booked in. The same drunken prisoner you were fighting on the streets with less than an hour before. They would usually be sober by the time they were booked in. Some of the Drink-Drive still blew over though.
It was a while since I heard the programme so I got the timings wrong but did remember it was hours, I suspect he might have said something along the lines of half a shift at the station plus the paddy wagon VOR for the rest of the night if somebody threw up in it.

Either way the time out per case is alarming.

OT I lived in Willesden for a while which was quiet compared to Neasden. Although chatting to a barmaid in the late 90s she reckoned it had got worse since her previous 'tour' at Green's pub near the north circ. The second time around her boss paid for a cab to get her home at closing time.

Is that s3 or s4 of the Vagrancy Act? I know you hate the police but has it occurred that just maybe we’re not exaggerating? That nationally we have been seen off and there actually isn’t enough of us to function properly?

There’s 120,000 of us, we’re not all lazy twat. Anyway, earlies tomorrow, I’m off, don’t have nightmares.

View attachment 475973
Bloody hell, Shaw Taylor... complete with 70s balding man's artfully teased Neil Diamond hairstyle. Was he Jewish? If he wasn't, he should have been.

Keep 'em peeled!

Traffic wardens? Are you Sam Tyler, and you have woken up in 1973? Police traffic wardens haven’t existed for decades.
My force until 2011

I believe all forces finished 2015/2016 ?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Returning to my post on Friday and Cutaway's comments, another problem with the causes of the lack of efficiency of the modern police force apart from the well identified external causes there seems to be a major internal problem, the selection and training of senior officers. The fact that a craven coward such as brave Sir Clive can have his lack of moral fibre endorsed and excused by the only officer senior to him Caressa Dick seems to speak very loudly as to the qualities required to be a senior officer. The senior officer unidentified by Cutaway seems cut from the same cloth, a bully in uniform. Until the Police can completely review their selection and procedures and identify brave competent officers who may not meet the woke political requirements imposed on the police externally and promote the best people for the job I believe the Police remains stuffed.

How do other countries police forces cope, or do they put up the ones that
can't be trusted with a sharp pencil?, what's the différance between them
and the UK?
The American experience would seem to be a lot of innocent people shot by poorly trained officers.

Latest Threads