Police gone soft?

This whole thing is a joke, amount spent on MPs 2nd home expenditures,and faster rail system, could pay for the 20,000 short fall in police,also get the best support for overworked and disrespected police force,it not about arming them it's about getting respect back
I agree, that getting numbers back to a correct level is the priority. Arming is a discussion to be had at sometime.

With natural wastage and turnover, the estimate is that closer to 50,000 cops will need to be recruited over the 3 years to get to a plus 20,000 figure from now. My force are estimated to have 156 extra officers at the end of this recruiting years, we have lost 1000 warranted officers. So we will be nowhere near 2010 numbers for a long time. That doesn’t factor in population growth and the increase in legislation and the complexity of crime.

The rest of The CJS also needs scaling back up to provide courts, prisons and probation etc.

I agree, that getting numbers back to a correct level is the priority. Arming is a discussion to be had at sometime.

With natural wastage and turnover, the estimate is that closer to 50,000 cops will need to be recruited over the 3 years to get to a plus 20,000 figure from now. My force are estimated to have 156 extra officers at the end of this recruiting years, we have lost 1000 warranted officers. So we will be nowhere near 2010 numbers for a long time. That doesn’t factor in population growth and the increase in legislation and the complexity of crime.

The rest of The CJS also needs scaling back up to provide courts, prisons and probation etc.
Mate you have my utter respect and sympathy,but the country will realise that it's been fucked backwards and say enough is enough

Most jobs are as far from the Armed police debate as can be. Those who think the job is made up of snowflakes would be welcome to have taken my second job of the shift today. There ain’t much to a dead body, except we have to check it over, tag it (wrist and opposite ankle) and record the circs. This one was several days old and the lady had keeled over while on the toilet. No dignity in death and I’m the one dealing with the woman who has just lost her only family member and trying my go to get the smell out of my nose (I do carry a pot of Vicks for the top lip but I save that for the really smelly ones)
I clapped for you the other Thursday, quit whining...

We're not 99% of the rest of the world.

Tell me honestly, how often would having a 9mm make a difference?

Much more importantly, why are you putting the cart before the horse?

We (the public) want decent policing.

You (the police) want to tweak things for your preferences.

Wrong way round. You work for us.
We're not 99% of the rest of the world.

Tell me honestly, how often would having a 9mm make a difference?

Much more importantly, why are you putting the cart before the horse?

We (the public) want decent policing.

You (the police) want to tweak things for your preferences.

Wrong way round. You work for us.
You the public should be supporting the police,they have few resources,few officer's, but still there when you need them,if there is enough to go around,or better still join them and make a difference yourself

Mate you have my utter respect and sympathy,but the country will realise that it's been fucked backwards and say enough is enough
Thanks. But I’m not sure that they will. We have highlighted this and what has come to pass for a decade and it’s not really been taken on board.

It really is difficult to explain to people how bad things have become and I personally feel angry and ashamed about it. I hope that things improve and people get the service that they deserve, however, I can’t see an improvement coming anytime soon.

the issue of the police cutlass could slash crime ?

Personally I'm unfussed. I'm a central london response copper (unarmed). I've no great fear of carrying one, but equally I've really no great desire to go out armed. I'm by and large satisfied with my kit.

But I will note that I think culturally this country couldn't cope with it. I don't even mean the notion (however twee or inaccurate the concept is or isn't) of a 'middle-englander' getting upset that his bobby on the beat now has a baseball cap and a handgun.

I think there's a lot of communities whose already strained Police relations would suffer for it. There are a lot of idiots too who shouldn't be given a pistol...

The Fed (possibly just the Met Branch) did a survey a few years ago. I can't remember the response though.

Thanks. But I’m not sure that they will. We have highlighted this and what has come to pass for a decade and it’s not really been taken on board.

It really is difficult to explain to people how bad things have become and I personally feel angry and ashamed about it. I hope that things improve and people get the service that they deserve, however, I can’t see an improvement coming anytime soon.
Next governments election campaign slogan ,we will support our police and mean it this time

Personally I'm unfussed. I'm a central london response copper (unarmed). I've no great fear of carrying one, but equally I've really no great desire to go out armed. I'm by and large satisfied with my kit.

But I will note that I think culturally this country couldn't cope with it. I don't even mean the notion (however twee or inaccurate the concept is or isn't) of a 'middle-englander' getting upset that his bobby on the beat now has a baseball cap and a handgun.

I think there's a lot of communities whose already strained Police relations would suffer for it. There are a lot of idiots too who shouldn't be given a pistol...

The Fed (possibly just the Met Branch) did a survey a few years ago. I can't remember the response though.
What do you think makes us different to the rest of the world? I agree that in an ideal world, we wouldn’t need to do it, however things aren’t like they used to be.

Violence in London is probably higher than most places, but you are rarely alone or far from a number of colleagues for understandable reasons.

I work in a large town of about 175,000 people with an additional rural area of about 250 square miles, it’s not uncommon to be single crewed with 6 or 7 on duty. That’s a long time waiting for help.

sand_rat

Old-Salt
What we need is to set the number of police per million of population,
Set by area and density, enshrined in law to stop the politicians
frecking the police about, population rises so does the police numbers
I have advocated this for years, and have a like.

'middle-englander' getting upset that his bobby on the beat now has a baseball cap and a handgun.
its yakuza lite tattoo sleeves which look like they have been crafted with a crayola crayon which grind my gears....

its yakuza lite tattoo sleeves which look like they have been crafted with a crayola crayon which grind my gears....
I always feel like that, when I see it on RSMs/LE and sometimes DE Officers.

It’s the times we live in.

I don't want the police routinely armed.

I like the UK as it is, pretty much, and that's a profound change that needs to be in a manifesto.

I just don't see a need. How often, in reality, is there not a firearms cop when you need one? How often does an unarmed (apart from pepper spray, tazer and stick) think "oh l really need a 9mm"?

Plus, on a practical level, the current firearms cops are apparently pretty well trained and equipped.

What sort of time input is needed to remain proficient to a modern policing standard on a pistol? That time is time away from policing. We are chronically short of bobbies as it is.
Have a listen to this, and then give us a sensible reason why UK Mainland Police are the only cops in Europe expected to do this.

Chef

LE
What we need is to set the number of police per million of population,
Set by area and density, enshrined in law to stop the politicians
frecking the police about, population rises so does the police numbers
Excellent idea. I've always felt that the HoC should have the same level of policing as, say @wetsmonkey's patch and build up from there.

When MPs feel safe they can tell the electorate:

'We feel safe with this level of policing and it's the same as your getting in Loamshire.'

At the moment they're usually in sight of two coppers anywhere in Westminster. No wonder the politicos don't see reduced numbers of police as a problem. A bit like diversity in Tower Hamlets is not the same as diversity in most of the areas that they and the chatterati live in.

Going back, Pc Brereton was killed by Michael Ryan in Hungerford in 1987. Admittedly Ryan had access to effective weaponry, but a PPW might have given Brereton more options.
Had there not been a bloody epic fail by the police in the first place there might not have been any deaths. Dunblane, yet another police balls up.

Latest Threads