Police gone soft?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I would Imagine it hinges on any application to march under the Public Order Act. Police must balance any lawful protest.

Problem is when people go in excess of the agreed protest (or break the no-surprises policy).

And frankly, I would be surprised if Cambridgeshire Constabulary could cope with cell space for 20 from one incident, and write off 80 officers (say 4 per detainee to arrest and remove).

I am merely commenting from the outside though.
Oddly enough, we had a day like that when I was custody officer. A Saturday - which was surprisingly quiet on a 3- 11 shift. Only 3 in custody. The shift Inspector arrived at about 4 pm and said, in a very excited tone, 'No wind up, there has been a murder at Newmarket Races and there is a coach load of suspects coming in'. There were 49 of them, and it became a very busy evening/night. With loads of overtime!

Newmarket, despite being in Suffolk, one of the race courses is in Cambs.

Can I ask any of the presently serving - or recently retired - bobbies on here; Extinction Rebellion, On Saturday they held a blockade of a garage in Cambridge ( Elizabeth way BP for anyone who knows the area). Ok, the garage is private property, owned by 86 year old Ted Salisbury, a man responsible for an awful lot of employment in the city at times. The group then decided to block Elizabeth Way itself. This is a main artery running into the town centre and caused considerable delays. Today they blocked Newmarket Road, again a main artery, causing huge tailbacks of traffic.
Oh FFS, I've got to go that way on Thursday.

Newmarket is a pain in the arrse for jurisdiction. The outskirts are Cambs, and the city are Suffolk, so you get a doughnut effect around the lace, so often you get the wrong paperwork through. We'd often get applications in, look at it and say this is Suffolk, and have to ping it back.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Newmarket is a pain in the arrse for jurisdiction. The outskirts are Cambs, and the city are Suffolk, so you get a doughnut effect around the lace, so often you get the wrong paperwork through. We'd often get applications in, look at it and say this is Suffolk, and have to ping it back.
Totally agree, muddled jurisdiction and boundaries. Nasty little place too, got called to assist in some major fights there at times.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
And frankly, I would be surprised if Cambridgeshire Constabulary could cope with cell space for 20 from one incident, and write off 80 officers (say 4 per detainee to arrest and remove).
Having assisted the SAP and SAPS while off duty on a number of occasions, how does the law work in the UK ?

Are members of the public constrained to assist police officers in the course of their duty or is it voluntary ?

Further, may police officers request and require assistance from the public ?
eg. in a similar manner to "deputising" in the old west ?

Having assisted the SAP and SAPS while off duty on a number of occasions, how does the law work in the UK ?

Are members of the public constrained to assist police officers in the course of their duty or is it voluntary ?

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Police can request all the help they like, not getting it in my miserable experience.

Oddly enough, we had a day like that when I was custody officer. A Saturday - which was surprisingly quiet on a 3- 11 shift. Only 3 in custody. The shift Inspector arrived at about 4 pm and said, in a very excited tone, 'No wind up, there has been a murder at Newmarket Races and there is a coach load of suspects coming in'. There were 49 of them, and it became a very busy evening/night. With loads of overtime!

49 nurses????

Sierra Charlie

War Hero

Not the same as SA, most people here don't give a shit

If a police person ask you to assist it is against the law to refuse, however I have seen nobody done for not helping.

If a police person ask you to assist it is against the law to refuse, however I have seen nobody done for not helping.
And some went on to be Prime Minister after having spent years ignoring requests for help.

par avion

War Hero
I found that in Hillingdon (Met police) members of the public were more than willing to assist police.

However in Harlesden they were more likely to assist the suspect.

Not quite sure why that was ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I found that in Hillingdon (Met police) members of the public were more than willing to assist police.

However in Harlesden they were more likely to assist the suspect.

Not quite sure why that was ?
Can you explain the demographics ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
He's talking about Boris and his eight years as nominal* PCC for the Met.

(*the actual PCC is one of the Asst Mayors)
So not a request for assistance during an actual incident ?

Or in other words, bollocks.

par avion

War Hero
Can you explain the demographics ?
Hillingdon - mainly white european.

Harlesden - mainly afro caribbean.

To be fair, good and bad on both sides.

One of my favourite pastimes when driving around Harlesden in a marked police car when spoting a young black youth sucking his teeth and giving the evil eye to the facist feds, was to give him a cheery wave and "hi".

It never failed to work. The West Indian is a cheery soul and freed from his preconceptions would always start smiling and give a cheery wave back

Last edited:
Not the same as SA, most people here don't give a shit
Depends where in SA. In some places assistance would be given to cops, others you'd have folks helping the perps and in many cases it would all turn to ratshit because the cops would likely be the perps.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
He's talking about Boris and his eight years as nominal* PCC for the Met.

(*the actual PCC is one of the Asst Mayors)
I thought he was talking about Theresa May who as Home Sec consistently turned a deaf ear to requests for assistance to the police, but turned the screw on funding resulting in many, many police posts ( 20k ish) being lost.

That worked well didn't it.

Last edited:
I thought he was talking about Theresa May who as Home Sec consistently turned a deaf ear to requests fior assistance to the police but turned the screw on funding resulting in many, many police posts ( 20k ish) being lost.

That worked well didn't it.
Indeed. Another of my friends resigned this month.

Taking 15 years detective experience with them. No one even asked why.

Still, they can employ two direct entry people who'll stay half the career of my friend.

Still, Mrs May got to be PM and a bunch of senior police all got promoted saying we can do more with less. And that is what matters.

Anymore knife enabled murders overnight?

Latest Threads