Police gone soft?

I look forward to people completing a degree whilst working earlies, lates and nights in an admittedly understaffed police service.

I think a time appreciation has not been correctly done. But what do I know!
It’s another one of those things foisted on us by May/Winsor and The C of P. Not necessary but in my opinion an example of people meddling in things they know nothing about.

I would rather see career long quality training across the board with degrees for those progressing into more complex areas of policing that require more intellectual rigour.

I would rather see career long quality training across the board with degrees for those progressing into more complex areas of policing that require more intellectual rigour.
I think we both know the future of law enforcement....
Data.jpg

There was plenty of criticism. It went on for a long while.
Plenty of criticism from the troops but justification from senior management. Probably before your time but late 70s early eighties Bravo11 chased a motor suspected of drug dealing into Notting Hill. Suspects decamped and crew called for assistance.The local Commander came up on main set ordering no uniform to assist crew got a right beating. The Commander rocks up at District HQ and is greeted by a shower of plates, cups, food etc from upstairs canteen windows. When he gets upstairs canteen empty. Funny about that.

Not wanting to jump on LBE's response but I applied to Gtr Mac & Cheshire constabularies within 3 years of leaving the mob & being ex-inf was told in no uncertain terms that the 'aggression factor' in that 'line of work' wasn't in great demand by either force. I got chinned off at the 2nd interview stage having gone through about 6 months of the usual tests, away day phyz & a weekender lark.
At the time my cousin was a Merseyside DS & said they were pretty much the same thinking. Squaddies with trades were much more likely to get in. It was the start of the drive to get recruits with degree or HND level quals in.
When was this?
A mate of mine has told me that GMP don't seem to accept many ex forces these days.

It's almost like someone was very wrong.

Now who could that be......
Or that the consequences to that persons actions were pointed out years ago, but yet dismissed as wolf noises.
Sadly the rest of The Government said or did very little as well.

On the one hand you have individual officers showing great courage and on the other hand there are the show-off officers who would really rather be celebs. This one seems to have taken it to the next level.

How will the Met handle this, I wonder?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
On the one hand you have individual officers showing great courage and on the other hand there are the show-off officers who would really rather be celebs. This one seems to have taken it to the next level.

Hopefully in a similar manner to that of the ex Nigerian MP.

Sierra Charlie

War Hero

Promotion to commissioner,my guess

ches

LE
When was this?
A mate of mine has told me that GMP don't seem to accept many ex forces these days.
Very early 90's mate. I was gutted about it.
In response to outer points made, there were no Qs from the initial recruit staff. Details were passed over during an away day series of tests we did somewhere in the Midlands - Stoke on Trent area rings a vague bell. There were some sit downs with ppl there where more digging was done on sort of stuff I'd been upto on Banner tours. They didn't seem too impressed with the amount of public order stuff I'd been involved in although I'd have thought that a bonus. One of the comments I distinctly remember was, 'well we don't really need the armys' level of aggression in our dealings with the general public in riot situations (sic)' On the flipside, they weren't too bothered I'd been out to Bots on anti poaching stuff a year or two previous on a UK govt backed private sec contract.

Sierra Charlie

War Hero
In response to outer points made, there were no Qs from the initial recruit staff. Details were passed over during an away day series of tests we did somewhere in the Midlands - Stoke on Trent area rings a vague bell. There were some sit downs with ppl there where more digging was done on sort of stuff I'd been upto on Banner tours. They didn't seem too impressed with the amount of public order stuff I'd been involved in although I'd have thought that a bonus. One of the comments I distinctly remember was, 'well we don't really need the armys' level of aggression in our dealings with the general public in riot situations (sic)' On the flipside, they weren't too bothered I'd been out to Bots on anti poaching stuff a year or two previous on a UK govt backed private sec contract.
But with the current level of violence on the streets, that may soon change

But with the current level of violence on the streets, that may soon change
Regarding public order,I think back to the recent(ish) riots. Admittedly watching from a distance, I thought that plod seemed reluctant to go in hard. I expect that if this is the case,it was for political reasons not because the officers involved didn't want to. To me,it looked like the cops were losing, and a bit of NI style stick and shield would have ended it a lot sooner.

To me,it looked like the cops were losing, and a bit of NI style stick and shield would have ended it a lot sooner.
Given an investigation into one officer from the 2010 Student riot has just finished last year, unlikely anyone is going to go stick and shield for a long time!

Sierra Charlie

War Hero
Regarding public order,I think back to the recent(ish) riots. Admittedly watching from a distance, I thought that plod seemed reluctant to go in hard. I expect that if this is the case,it was for political reasons not because the officers involved didn't want to. To me,it looked like the cops were losing, and a bit of NI style stick and shield would have ended it a lot sooner.
But then the cry would be" the end of democracy" you can't win

Like I said,political reasons.
Well, little bit of column A little bit of column B.

Were officers to feel that use of force in public order were given the top cover that use of force in counter-terrorism....

And likewise, use force in normal policing and you're playing the lottery of "social media suspension" due to risk averse seniors.

Wishing to avert risk to their careers, that is (IMHO).

Ultimately, it will take something the widespread disorder in 2011 in London for people to remember how precarious public order is.

Just on that, there is a substantial cultural issue between farces..

When I joined the Met, baton was seen as lesser force than a CS spray.

When I transferred out, the force I joined had no problem with PAVA spraying almost anyone. When I drew my stick during an incident, I was viewed as going a bit far.

Now TASER may be replacing both options for those equipped with it.

As I have said repeatedly. It is a great negotiating tool. The presence alone can defuse; but ultimately red-dotting people gve them an option to back down and keep face. If they needed to ride the lightening to learn the lesson so be it.

Be under no illusions - May was the impediment to widespread TASER roll-out, as she refused to fund it.

Whilst hiding behind her prot squad in the heavily defended Government Security Zone of Westminster.

Still funny she f*cked her career - burn in hell.

Latest Threads