Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Police gone soft?

Do you have a problem with a Guardsmen wearing a Sikh turban on Trooping The Colour?
No.
Different situation but I concede it's a hard one to argue.
In the Guardsman wearing a turban situation, he may have said 'This item is important to me, may I wear it?'
The police situation appears to be the police saying 'Can we design a new uniform just for female Muslim officers?'.

Last edited:
No.
Different situation but I concede it's a hard one to argue.
In the Guardsman wearing a turban situation, he may have said 'This item is important to me, may I wear it?'
The police situation appears to be the police saying 'Can we design a new uniform just for female Muslim officers?'.

To be honest, I don’t really care a jot about either scenario. If a Muslim female in an area that is heavily populated with other Muslims, has the fortitude to kick the mould and join then I’m not particularly bothered if they provide a uniform in which she feels more comfortable. As was mentioned, the Force was approached, they didn’t unilaterally decide.

I’m fairly sure that it will be important to some Muslim females. I know Sikh colleagues who don’t wear a turban but that doesn’t lessen others feelings.

To be honest, I don’t really care a jot about either scenario. If a Muslim female in an area that is heavily populated with other Muslims, has the fortitude to kick the mould and join then I’m not particularly bothered if they provide a uniform in which she feels more comfortable. As was mentioned, the Force was approached, they didn’t unilaterally decide.

I’m fairly sure that it will be important to some Muslim females. I know Sikh colleagues who don’t wear a turban but that doesn’t lessen others feelings.
True.
Being honest, my judgment may be clouded by my personal views about that faith. I cannot argue with the logic you present and I hope it works out (genuinely - it may do).

I think we had him here as our C.C.
Not the man you are thinking of Joshua. This one has never policed a day in his life.
He was a railway inspector who was given the task of reforming Police TCOS...mainly to save money. He zealously applied himself and basically screwed over an entire generation of bobbies who overnight needed to work ten years longer for a lower pension. I'm fortunate to be an old git so was in a protected category, but only just. The pension was just part of his hatchet job.
He showed no understanding of the demands of policing.
But he does love to dress up in his HMIC uniform.
Tom Winsor....look him up.

Not the man you are thinking of Joshua. This one has never policed a day in his life.
He was a railway inspector who was given the task of reforming Police TCOS...mainly to save money. He zealously applied himself and basically screwed over an entire generation of bobbies who overnight needed to work ten years longer for a lower pension. I'm fortunate to be an old git so was in a protected category, but only just. The pension was just part of his hatchet job.
He showed no understanding of the demands of policing.
But he does love to dress up in his HMIC uniform.
Tom Winsor....look him up.
aha he looks very similar a wet behind the ears nothing,

@wetsmonkey

That'd be the "independent" pay review board that introduced us all to "Healthy Churn"!

Like the "independent" HM Inspector of Constabulary......

Look at all that braid. Unlike Judas he doesn't even need to use his 30 piece of silver to buy a rope.

tom_winsor_2687946b.jpg

Feck, he just looks ridiculous.
If I was ever smart (and connected) enough to be appointed to that role, it would be smart suit every time.

There is, the Police Federation.

Have a look at how much Mrs May hated them

On a point of historical curiosity, UK Police have had no industrial rights since 1919 and the police strike.

Indeed, were police officers to discuss a work to rule, handing in driving/firearms tickets, I would imagine this bit of law would be given a run out

And indeed, even if you blow a whistle (on what the commissioner was force to admit was true), you'll be hounded until you resign.

Whistleblower resigns from police

So really, as a UK police officer you may as well just lay back and enjoy it.

Though if you said that to a victim, you'd be sacked.

Regarding AFO's handing in their blue tickets: didn't that happen during the investigation into the Harry Stanley shooting? I would imagine few things concentrate the minds of politicians like the possibility of losing their Pretorian Guard.

Regarding AFO's handing in their blue tickets: didn't that happen during the investigation into the Harry Stanley shooting? I would imagine few things concentrate the minds of politicians like the possibility of losing their Pretorian Guard.

It was certainly discussed. I don't think it was actually carried out, primarily due to the threat under the offence at the Police Act of casuing disaffection.

Thing is, there is always the urge to escape relief policing and go to SO. The continual waste of highly trained personnel leaving is another thing, but the job has demonstrated it doesn't give a hoot about the loss of capability.

The mantra will always be, we can cope. Until the senior leaves, and then they sudden grow a spine.

It was certainly discussed. I don't think it was actually carried out, primarily due to the threat under the offence at the Police Act of casuing disaffection.

Thing is, there is always the urge to escape relief policing and go to SO. The continual waste of highly trained personnel leaving is another thing, but the job has demonstrated it doesn't give a hoot about the loss of capability.

The mantra will always be, we can cope. Until the senior leaves, and then they sudden grow a spine.

Your Wiki Powers are weak, old man. You should not have come back. ;)

In protest over the suspensions, 120 out of the 400 Metropolitan Police officers authorised to carry firearms handed in their firearms authorisation cards, with Glenn Smyth, a Police Federation spokesman, saying, "The officers are very concerned that the tactics they are trained in are now in doubt".

After speaking to a mate (although a while ago)who was an AFO,it seems to me that the very LAST thing the cops want is for an AFO to actually use his weapon.Also,I get the impression that former squaddies don't often get on a firearms unit.
Correct me if I am wrong.

After speaking to a mate (although a while ago)who was an AFO,it seems to me that the very LAST thing the cops want is for an AFO to actually use his weapon.Also,I get the impression that former squaddies don't often get on a firearms unit.
Correct me if I am wrong.

I know of plenty of ex mil who are AFO/ARV/SFO/CTSFO. I also know of some who didn’t get in and are not suitable.