Police gone soft?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
An actual incident, much to the surprise of all officers involved but once the perceived crime has been mentioned the 'Log Police' descend and even if your not making a complaint a crime must be recorded.
Excellent.
Are you able to give details ?

If a crime must be recorded one would assume that it must have been committed by someone.
Does this then mean that the gentleman concerned now has a criminal record ?
Logically it should, and has the advantage of cutting out the expenses of any pointless investigation and frivolous court case.

Excellent.
Are you able to give details ?

If a crime must be recorded one would assume that it must have been committed by someone.
Does this then mean that the gentleman concerned now has a criminal record ?
Logically it should, and has the advantage of cutting out the expenses of any pointless investigation and frivolous court case.
Any allegation of a crime HAS by law to be recorded. That doesn’t mean that any action will be taken by police or that an official written complaint need be made.

Often happens that police attend after being called or stumble across something and actually nobody wishes police to do anything. Nevertheless Home Office Crime Recording Standards state that it must be recorded. When HMICFRS visit and inspect forces, they travel through reported logs to see that any allegation of a crime has a matching crime reference number. Any non compliance is recorded as part of the inspection.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...t_data/file/721595/count-general-jul-2018.pdf

Please peruse the 50 page PDF for confirmation.

I hope to God police can apply some common sense when dealing with the sort of case being discussed. I don't know the age of the bloke involved but, if you have answered your door four times that morning to people trying to sell you something, or asking for money for save this or that, a degree of frustration might be natural, particularly if getting to the front door is a big effort.

Last edited:
Any allegation of a crime HAS by law to be recorded. That doesn’t mean that any action will be taken by police or that an official written complaint need be made.

Often happens that police attend after being called or stumble across something and actually nobody wishes police to do anything. Nevertheless Home Office Crime Recording Standards state that it must be recorded. When HMICFRS visit and inspect forces, they travel through reported logs to see that any allegation of a crime has a matching crime reference number. Any non compliance is recorded as part of the inspection.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...t_data/file/721595/count-general-jul-2018.pdf

Any incident that makes it to our logging system will have a crime number generated for it. That doesn't mean we have to write it up as such. A log entry that fully satisfies the requirements that there is no crime may be sufficient. If a Home Office code has been applied [ie it meets certain criteria] then we have to and more detail and record it, but we can apply to cancel it at that point if the further information we have gathered indicate it is a non-crime. It does mean that some things that seem trivial and turn out to be such have time spent on them but that is where we are.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
On this occasion I'll take the word of a random internet user as gospel.

But cheers for the informative and referenced reply.

I hope to God police can apply some common sense when dealing with the sort of case being discussed. I don't know the age of the bloke involved but, if you have answered your door four times that morning to people trying to sell you something, or asking for money for save this or that, a degree of frustration might be natural, particularly if getting to the front door is a big effort.
As has been mentioned, it was a job that was going nowhere but it still tied up a Bobbie filling in the all important forms. There's a van knocking around where I am that has in its rear window something similar to this.
1541228308627.png

Someone phoned in to say it upset them......well you know what happens next.

Police in talks to scrap 'reasonable grounds' condition for stop and search

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks, but I seem to remember, not very long ago, police chiefs being quite supportive of moves to restrict stop-and-search powers as they affected disproportionately black youth.

Perhaps the demonstrably disproportionate black-on-black street murder statistics have something to do with this apparent change of mind.
"Let's target those most likely to commit crime".

Nah, can't see that taking off.

Police in talks to scrap 'reasonable grounds' condition for stop and search

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks, but I seem to remember, not very long ago, police chiefs being quite supportive of moves to restrict stop-and-search powers as they affected disproportionately black youth.

Perhaps the demonstrably disproportionate black-on-black street murder statistics have something to do with this apparent change of mind.
And so begins the virtue signalling

Professor Green: Making black youths the face of knife crime is institutional racism

Sorry but when you look at all the victims there does appear to be a pattern....

I'm bloody glad I'm out.

The stock solution to a problem like this is to throw police at it. This means cancelled rest days and long hours policing areas on the other side of the Met to where one normally works and with which you're entirely unfamiliar. Just going through the motions, really.

All this in a time of greatly diminished numbers. Good luck to those still in.

No taxation, without representation was the cry..... If you strip away all the emotions. To whom do the police work for and where does their duty lie ? it would be my argument, they work for the government and their duty is to the law.

On that basis, the local council police allocation should be assigned to a local force who are dedicated to protecting me and mine, whilst retaining independence to how they apply laws pertaining to that role. If the government want the police to do more than protect the streets, then it should pay for it out of direct taxation and create a national force for all those nice to have niche roles.

It's called tactical contact, as an option to terminate a follow.

One might think of a question, that if the Met have opted for such a option..... how out of control must certain offender patterns be? Given the risk aversion of the Met I knew, I'd also be wondering what traffic drivers you can get to do this.

I wouldn't carry a firearm for the job, I certainly wouldn't "tactical contact" a moped to find the robbery suspect I was following suddenly turned into a dead potential footballer and loving young father and I was a racist murderer.....

It's called tactical contact, as an option to terminate a follow.

One might think of a question, that if the Met have opted for such a option..... how out of control must certain offender patterns be? Given the risk aversion of the Met I knew, I'd also be wondering what traffic drivers you can get to do this.

I wouldn't carry a firearm for the job, I certainly wouldn't "tactical contact" a moped to find the robbery suspect I was following suddenly turned into a dead potential footballer and loving young father and I was a racist murderer.....
I should think Mr Plod would have to catch em with the MK1 eye ball first

Latest Threads