Police gone soft?

Better yet, prosecute him.

(Big, big, nod, to Pete Leng)

REGINA V DYTHAM: CACD 1979
February 18, 2017 dls Off Crime, Police,

References: [1979] 1 QBD 722, (1979) 69 Crim App R 722
Coram: Shaw LJ, Lord Widgery CJ, McNeill J

Ratio: A constable was 30 yards away from the entrance to a club, from which he saw a man ejected. There was a fight involving cries and screams and the man was beaten and kicked to death in the gutter outside the club. The constable made no move to intervene. He drove away when the hubbub had died down stating that he was due off and was going off. He demurred to the indictment on the ground that it disclosed no offence since misconduct of an officer of justice involved malfeasance or at least a misfeasance involving an element of corruption and not merely non-feasance as alleged in the indictment.
Held: The conviction of the officer for wilful neglect to perform a duty was upheld.
Lord Widgery CJ said: ‘the allegation made was not of mere non-feasance but of deliberate failure and wilful neglect . . This involves an element of culpability which is not restricted to corruption or dishonesty but which must be of such a degree that the misconduct impugned is calculated to injure the public interest so as to call for condemnation and punishment. Whether such a situation is revealed by the evidence is a matter that a jury has to decide. It puts no heavier burden upon them than when in more familiar contexts they are called upon to consider whether driving is dangerous or a publication is obscene or a place of public resort is a disorderly house’

Regina v Dytham: CACD 1979 - swarb.co.uk
Ah, thanks - that was the stated case I was drawing attention to in another thread.

Beloved of standards and senior officers when prosecuting juniors on discipline matters.

It just doesn't seem to apply above a certain rank ceiling though...

Gone soft?! Nah . . . !!!

There are "brave" thugs in uniform . . . when it comes to facing, peaceful, old-age-pensioner, unarmed, white folk . . .

and again . . . .

Was that the demo which caused a bunch of children to flee in panic?

It's quite simple to demonstrate peacefully.

Funny how it just seems a bit beyond certain groups.

I did chuckle to see on social media some desperate attempts to distance themselves from the bloke in the demo giving a Hitler salute. Funny how said lot always seem to have one doing thst wherever they go.

Anyway, who cares. It's all the Met's fault.

Ah, thanks - that was the stated case I was drawing attention to in another thread.

Beloved of standards and senior officers when prosecuting juniors on discipline matters.

It just doesn't seem to apply above a certain rank ceiling though...
Wind your neck in, son. According to Commissioner(doesn't like)Dick, there was nothing the poor, misunderstood chap could have done. Indeed, his response was both appropriate and up to the highest standards of the Met Police. Any junior ranks who criticise him are nothing more than nasty bullies.

Along with the NCA proudly showing off how much more money they have.
Organised crime 'costs UK £37bn a year'

I agree with what she's saying though.

Why is the fact you were bummed in the 70s when you were at X school by the Head teacher who is now dead something that needs to be investigated? Just because your Shrink has told you to tootle along the closest cop shop and make it their problem 40 years on isn't going to get you any justice. It will however prevent assorted people dealing with real jobs that are actually happening now where there is some prospect of justice prevailing.

Oh and the majority of bike thefts shouldn't be investigated beyond one simple question.
'Did you lock it?'
A 'No' response means no crime.

Last edited:

Why is the fact you were bummed in the 70s when you were at X school by the Head teacher who is now dead something that needs to be investigated? Just because your Shrink has told you to tootle along the closest cop shop and make it their problem 40 years on isn't going to get you any justice. It will however prevent assorted people dealing with real jobs that are actually happening now where there is some prospect of justice prevailing.

Oh and the majority of bike thefts shouldn't be investigated beyond one simple question.
'Did you lock it?'
I disagree there re. bike theft. An unlocked bike is a concern to a person's insurer. The theft should be something the police look into. It's the police stopping looking into thefts, assaults, etc that is the issue.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Why is the fact you were bummed in the 70s when you were at X school by the Head teacher who is now dead something that needs to be investigated? Just because your Shrink has told you to tootle along the closest cop shop
Must be something subliminal, I read that as "closet cop shop."

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I disagree there re. bike theft. An unlocked bike is a concern to a person's insurer. The theft should be something the police look into. It's the police stopping looking into thefts, assaults, etc that is the issue.
But if the theft keeps just one bike off the road, it's worth it.

No the individual needs to take responsibility for their own actions.
Eg:

MOP - My 5 grand mountain bike was stolen when I popped into the shop.
Police - Was it locked?
MOP - No, I was only in for a minute.
Police - So your surprised that your bike, which is its own getaway vehicle, gets stolen because you're an idiot and or lazy?

Or for a more entertaining version, about 45 seconds in is all you need.

No the individual needs to take responsibility for their own actions.
Eg:

MOP - My 5 grand mountain bike was stolen when I popped into the shop.
Police - Was it locked?
MOP - No, I was only in for a minute.
Police - So your surprised that your bike, which is its own getaway vehicle, gets stolen because you're an idiot and or lazy?

Or for a more entertaining version, about 45 seconds in is all you need.
True indeed. It's the responsibility of all citizens to ensure that they do their best to deter crime. I get fed up of snowflakes on the canal complaining about bike thefts. If they do lock it, it'll often be with a gash bit of 5mm chain. Doesn't matter how good the lock is, a set of 12in bolt crops will go right through.

A very interesting article from the BBC re. a senior police officer sticking her head above the parapet and calling for forces to focus on crimes such as assault and burglary rather than fashionable hate crimes, the police interest in which is being driven by pressure groups, she says.

Focus on basics, police chief urges
A commendable speech, she has however been in that position for some years and has never said similar before, allowing this to become an issue.

Soon to retire and now has something relevant to say, let’s hope she is heeded.

'Did you lock it?'
Do you understand the headline?
That’s the cost to the nation of OCGs not the running cost of The NCA. Funding to The Police is a about 1/3 of that figure.

Read the article.

True indeed. It's the responsibility of all citizens to ensure that they do their best to deter crime. I get fed up of snowflakes on the canal complaining about bike thefts. If they do lock it, it'll often be with a gash bit of 5mm chain. Doesn't matter how good the lock is, a set of 12in bolt crops will go right through.
I vary between using a reasonable grade U lock or a hiplock chain. both were well worth the money and cost less than a tenth of what I paid for the bike. I have seen a carbon fibre bike secured with a poundland cable lock before, 12" bolt crops? Any old pair of pliers would be enough. .

Do you understand the headline?
That’s the cost to the nation of OCGs not the running cost of The NCA. Funding to The Police is a about 1/3 of that figure.

Read the article.
I did.

The government, which has published a report into organised crime, will later announce a new strategy and £48m of public money to tackle the gangs.

Did you?

Meanwhile the Home Office try to shift the blame back to PCCs and Forces forgetting its their rules that mean all these non jobs are crimes.

Last week a gentleman had a caller at his address to whom he did not wish to speak.
He somewhat robustly informed the caller that they should go away and slammed the door in their face.
And the caller upset at this treatment complained to the police.
Cue one S5 POA.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Last week a gentleman had a caller at his address to whom he did not wish to speak.
He somewhat robustly informed the caller that they should go away and slammed the door in their face.
Cue one S5 POA.
Can you explain that for the mentally challenged ?

Can you explain that for the mentally challenged ?
The offence is created by section 5 of the Public Order Act (POA) 1986. Section 5(1) provides:

"(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he/she: (a) uses threatening [or abusive] words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or (b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening [or abusive], within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The offence is created by section 5 of the Public Order Act (POA) 1986. Section 5(1) provides:

"(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he/she: (a) uses threatening [or abusive] words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or (b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening [or abusive], within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."
Got that but wondered if SBS was commenting on an actual incident or just giving an example of HO stupidity.

I did.

The government, which has published a report into organised crime, will later announce a new strategy and £48m of public money to tackle the gangs.

Did you?

Meanwhile the Home Office try to shift the blame back to PCCs and Forces forgetting its their rules that mean all these non jobs are crimes.

Cue one S5 POA.
The £48 million is being taken from an existing police budget somewhere else, that’s not being publicised by the Government. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

However, if it was directed at a specific person, it would be a S4 or a S4a.

Got that but wondered if SBS was commenting on an actual incident or just giving an example of HO stupidity.
An actual incident, much to the surprise of all officers involved but once the perceived crime has been mentioned the 'Log Police' descend and even if your not making a complaint a crime must be recorded.