Police gone soft?

WTF has that got to do with the police harrasment in Wakefield where he has had to take the local (RoP loving) plod to court twice for their ridiculous actions in harrassing him?

I generally check the company I keep before I go into bat for them.

Even Russian stooges have the right to freedom of expression.

But they are still Russian stooges.

Their Telegram channel is quite funny, not quite as sucking Putin's cock as Tommy Robinson's. Give it time.

Same reason council officers pull in law abiding people for littering and 'dangerous dog' offences. Quick result and less paperwork.
Pick the low hanging fruit, all government agencies do it. So much easier to harass a law abiding member of the public with assets, identification and values for a minor infringement than the people who don't have any values or are wealthy and connected enough to make prosecution difficult.

Do tell...?

We've found improvised weapons, knives and a couple of blood filled syringes while clearing homeless types out the way (all this year). My colleague has had a bike thrown at them, I've been punched, as have a couple of others, two of us have been run over, and there's been at least three guys threatened with machete's. I've also stopped two drug dealers, and the number of RS/SD's I've dealt with having a full on mental episode is no small number. Or dealing with them when they OD, I'm on five of those this year alone.

My PPE consists of BWV, that's it, no armour, no defensive tools, nothing... Oh wait I forgot, we can have as many pairs of blue examination gloves as we want. I have had no more than an hours training, and that wasn't on self-defence. Whenever we put in a call for help we're always told that 'there's no Uniform available'.
So please do tell me how dealing with a 6ft drunken Polish gorilla who keeps on trying to push you away and intimidate you into leaving (4x in the last week, same chap who is breaching the Public Space Protection Order, and you're trying to get him to **** off somewhere else) is 'going for the easy targets'?

That doesn't include all the racist crap we suffer when patrolling our migrant ghetto.

There's a lot of people who think they know what they see. Only last week we had a couple of people hurling abuse at us as we went to check on a RS. We'd not see the RS move in over an hour and couldn't tell if he was breathing. Thus logically a welfare check was needed to see if he was still alive. As we approach the abuse from the MoP's starts. 'Leave him alone you ****' etc. They assume as we're going towards the RS we're going to beat him up or some shite. Remember you see/hear about a 4 minute interaction between the council officer from their entire week.
Also when we do stick someone with a FPN, we always explain how to appeal, and give pointers on that appeal. We often use words of advice when we can. If we were being ****'s we'd have a vastly higher tally of FPN's.

@Listy

Stay safe mate. I do not miss the reality of having to deal with that sort of stuff.

Do tell...?

We've found improvised weapons, knives and a couple of blood filled syringes while clearing homeless types out the way (all this year). My colleague has had a bike thrown at them, I've been punched, as have a couple of others, two of us have been run over, and there's been at least three guys threatened with machete's. I've also stopped two drug dealers, and the number of RS/SD's I've dealt with having a full on mental episode is no small number. Or dealing with them when they OD, I'm on five of those this year alone.

My PPE consists of BWV, that's it, no armour, no defensive tools, nothing... Oh wait I forgot, we can have as many pairs of blue examination gloves as we want. I have had no more than an hours training, and that wasn't on self-defence. Whenever we put in a call for help we're always told that 'there's no Uniform available'.
So please do tell me how dealing with a 6ft drunken Polish gorilla who keeps on trying to push you away and intimidate you into leaving (4x in the last week, same chap who is breaching the Public Space Protection Order, and you're trying to get him to **** off somewhere else) is 'going for the easy targets'?

That doesn't include all the racist crap we suffer when patrolling our migrant ghetto.

There's a lot of people who think they know what they see. Only last week we had a couple of people hurling abuse at us as we went to check on a RS. We'd not see the RS move in over an hour and couldn't tell if he was breathing. Thus logically a welfare check was needed to see if he was still alive. As we approach the abuse from the MoP's starts. 'Leave him alone you ****' etc. They assume as we're going towards the RS we're going to beat him up or some shite. Remember you see/hear about a 4 minute interaction between the council officer from their entire week.
Also when we do stick someone with a FPN, we always explain how to appeal, and give pointers on that appeal. We often use words of advice when we can. If we were being ****'s we'd have a vastly higher tally of FPN's.
For the uninitiated of us....any chance of the correct key setting for this?

RS? SD? MoP?

Do tell...?

Wouldn't know about any of that I never left the station. You don't get promoted by getting your hands dirty and feeling collars. Why work at doing the job properly when you can mince around creating pointless projects and initiatives each one of which gives you another step up the greasy pole.

We use SD for street drinkers, but there's not much ground between the two meanings.
In the great pavements upgrade of 2014, Croydon council decided to stick park bench type street furniture on errm the streets.

Well done, even the fFrench would turn up their noses at such public pissoirs.

Chef

LE
Do tell...?

To be fair the section you culled from my post was about council 'enforcement officers' and I did mention that the police deal with the more thuggish members of the public.

I have said a few times that perception and public relations aren't doing the police any favours. Every news item that tells of members of the public being pulled in for 'crimes' that could have been dealt with on the spot, a while back a copper did someone's toddler for driving in one of those battery powered toy cars, insurance and some other bits and bobs. At a time when electric scooters, mostly street illegal drive round with impunity, do you wonder why the public look askance at rainbow days and greetings to our pagan friends etc.

Given the senior officer's love of policing social media, perhaps they could spend a bit of time on some decent PR.

Wittering on about diversity targets and the like while solving fewer and fewer burglaries, both featuring in the news papers sometimes on the same page is a problem of your PR dept's making. I sympathise with the way it must seem to those of you in the job but forces keep trying the same things PR wise and seem surprised when the majority of the law abiding public ask questions about what the police are actually trying to achieve.

I also appreciate that many of the rank and file wince every time another policeman is pictured skateboarding with protestors or taking the knee and I suppose that @longwayfromhome has the way of it, those hungry for promotion aren't going to change the greasy pole they've scaled and those dealing with the resultant mess are too busy to do much.

And I'd still call the police if necessary.

To be fair the section you culled from my post was about council 'enforcement officers' and I did mention that the police deal with the more thuggish members of the public.

I am a council enforcement officer, hence why I was interested in finding out how I'm targeting the easy marks?
As you note the chances of getting a policeman to deal with low level ASB related stuff is slim, so it eventually gets handed to me to go sort it out.

Don't forget that Public Space Protection Orders need to be applied for, and evidenced that there is a problem before the provision it is granted, and only last for three years, before the entire thing needs to start again.

I have said a few times that perception and public relations aren't doing the police any favours. Every news item that tells of members of the public being pulled in for 'crimes' that could have been dealt with on the spot, a while back a copper did someone's toddler for driving in one of those battery powered toy cars, insurance and some other bits and bobs. At a time when electric scooters, mostly street illegal drive round with impunity, do you wonder why the public look askance at rainbow days and greetings to our pagan friends etc.

Given the senior officer's love of policing social media, perhaps they could spend a bit of time on some decent PR.

Wittering on about diversity targets and the like while solving fewer and fewer burglaries, both featuring in the news papers sometimes on the same page is a problem of your PR dept's making. I sympathise with the way it must seem to those of you in the job but forces keep trying the same things PR wise and seem surprised when the majority of the law abiding public ask questions about what the police are actually trying to achieve.

I also appreciate that many of the rank and file wince every time another policeman is pictured skateboarding with protestors or taking the knee and I suppose that @longwayfromhome has the way of it, those hungry for promotion aren't going to change the greasy pole they've scaled and those dealing with the resultant mess are too busy to do much.

And I'd still call the police if necessary.

A toddler can’t be prosecuted for anything if they are under the age of criminal responsibility 10 years old.

Chef

LE
A toddler can’t be prosecuted for anything if they are under the age of criminal responsibility 10 years old.
Which would presumably be what the copper who brought it in would have been told, in the days when common sense prevailed and box ticking wasn't a the main indicator of doing a 'good' job.

A double hit as the parent is not only cheesed off but later may find that bit of information out. So the next time they have dealings with the police they might be a bit more sceptical about the copper's knowledge of the law.

As I keep saying, I believe the police, in general, do the best they can. However with the proliferation of recording devices they can no longer rely on the Bluff and Cuff Act, and every time they do and get caught out it adds to the general distrust of the police.

I don't know what the solution is, better training, more emphasis on how to deal with the general public and better PR might help.

The US police chief, after career criminal George Floyd died, pointed out the millions of interactions twixt police and BAME people that had positive results. Nobody remembers them.

The media lives on selling news and the police help with own goals

Which would presumably be what the copper who brought it in would have been told, in the days when common sense prevailed and box ticking wasn't a the main indicator of doing a 'good' job.

A double hit as the parent is not only cheesed off but later may find that bit of information out. So the next time they have dealings with the police they might be a bit more sceptical about the copper's knowledge of the law.

As I keep saying, I believe the police, in general, do the best they can. However with the proliferation of recording devices they can no longer rely on the Bluff and Cuff Act, and every time they do and get caught out it adds to the general distrust of the police.

I don't know what the solution is, better training, more emphasis on how to deal with the general public and better PR might help.

The US police chief, after career criminal George Floyd died, pointed out the millions of interactions twixt police and BAME people that had positive results. Nobody remembers them.

The media lives on selling news and the police help with own goals

Are you telling me that a cop has arrested a child under 10 possibly 2 or 3 as you refer to them as a toddler for traffic offences that you wouldn’t normally have to arrest an adult for?

Or are you suggesting that he issued tickets or a summons to a toddler, after cautioning them and reporting reporting them for the offence?

A link would be handy.

Can you clarify?

Chef

LE
Are you telling me that a cop has arrested a child under 10 possibly 2 or 3 as you refer to them as a toddler for traffic offences that you wouldn’t normally have to arrest an adult for?

Or are you suggesting that he issued tickets or a summons to a toddler, after cautioning them and reporting reporting them for the offence?

A link would be handy.

Can you clarify?
I'll try and find a link. From what I remember the parent was involved with concerns about a motorised vehicle on the street with no insurance. Wait one.

ETA I can't find it at the moment, I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
But the youngster should have a parent or guardian who is responsibe for the child.

Ah, I see my error, responsibility.
Apologies to all for raising such an outdated approach.

Latest Threads