Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police gone soft?

Plenty go the other way to The Met, for the money, better jobs, quicker promotion and excitement.
iu

The joke was join the met, do two years to get out of probation and then transer to county force....

And remember to dye your shirts in the laundry room in the tunnels under the blocks at Hendon.

Now that's showing my age - the Hendon tunnel rat club. What's done there stays there.
Well when I was looking at joining the counties were all pretty tight on recruiting and that is what the aforementioned DCI recommended I do. Do a few years in the smoke and then get out.

anglo

LE
Perhaps, until the point that people need police.
My perception of the police, if you want them because you've been burgled,
"have a crime number, we'll see you when we get time"
if you need them in a big hurry, they will be there,
The police are short of manpower, the saying is,
They are just fighting fires
{going from one emergency to another}
And, coppers not get support from their top ranks, derisory sentences for the scrotes they catch,
not enough coppers on the ground,
To be honest, why waste time catching the lawbreakers, and why stay in the thankless job.

Well when I was looking at joining the counties were all pretty tight on recruiting and that is what the aforementioned DCI recommended I do. Do a few years in the smoke and then get out.

Good Luck in the Met.

Make sure you have more armour packs in the back of the vest than the front, would be my advice.

Yes, it seems we never get it right. When you look at the coal strike and police in full serge and shiny button uniform fending off strikers it seems absurd, but foot patrol in a market town in grubby misshapen fleeces and baseball caps seems the other extreme. There must be a middle ground? I guess the police, like everyone, are purchasing for the lowest cost and that doesn't help.

The ground is that police can have a degree of protection and do their job better.
Not dress to a standard for the benefit of sad old men. You sneered at their yellow vests before and now it turns out they wear them for their safety, but that wasnt important to you was it?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It's the greatest thing I've ever done and will ever do.

It only takes one good job that was satisfying or where you reckon you made a real difference to someone to remind you why.
I feel the same whenever I pull out of an Afrikaans chick.

This is quite interesting and actually the discussion I was hoping have before some boring storemen rocked up and started talking about the Army, Pedo COs and all manner of unreleted nonsense.

Didn't realise it was county thing. IIRC It used to be Met wore white shirts and carrots wore blue, then they all went white shirts.
I noticed during the BLM protests that the met in white shirts, stab vest and flat hats, it looked quite proper.
In fact I'd say the Met generally have it right, I think when you get out to ruralshire then it is at the whim of CCs and PCCs.

And that is really my point I suppose, I think Shirts look better that polos, flat caps look better than a baseball hat and get rid of all the shite dangling off the vest.

I'm fairly relaxed about tattoos, whilst not my thing, if you banned people with tats from joining you'd have no bugger left.
"Them bastards in white shirts" regularly heard complaint during the miners strike, it wasn't always the Met, West midlands also wore white shirts. The first issue of short sleeve shirts that you could wear with the collar open were issued during the summer of the Brixton riots and were such a cunning design you couldn't wear a tie with them even if you wanted to.

DarkBrig

War Hero
Security firm I used to work for had a manned guarding sector. The boss of the firm was quite elderly and set in his ways. His idea of an appropriate uniform for the guards was cheap blue ‘bus driver’ trousers, blue shirt, clip-on tie and some ludicrous V-neck jumper. They looked like milkmen when they wore their peaked caps too.
Bosses’ son started taking over the reins of the company and changed the uniform- to black polo shirts and black cargo/combat style trousers. Guards on front desk duties started noting they were getting talked down to less by customers etc. Many put it down to the new uniform looking less ‘subservient’.
Depends on the client and the clients staff, I was the ops manager for a small manned guarding security company in Glasgow, mostly supplying reception staff to the financial district, if we had put our staff in Polo shirts and cargo trousers we'd have been out the door.

and a voice called back from the distance, "only 20K, I don't vote for the man that got rid of two departments, or the man who created an ineffectual third". Having said that having served as a constable for a year before I got under my supers Skin, "change, what f'kin change." And no a coppers uniform wasn't suitable for purpose. Either freezing cold or hot and sweaty.
A blind man could have seen what a crap idea that wa....oh hang on a minute.

This is quite interesting and actually the discussion I was hoping have before some boring storemen rocked up and started talking about the Army, Pedo COs and all manner of unreleted nonsense.

Didn't realise it was county thing. IIRC It used to be Met wore white shirts and carrots wore blue, then they all went white shirts.
I noticed during the BLM protests that the met in white shirts, stab vest and flat hats, it looked quite proper.
In fact I'd say the Met generally have it right, I think when you get out to ruralshire then it is at the whim of CCs and PCCs.

And that is really my point I suppose, I think Shirts look better that polos, flat caps look better than a baseball hat and get rid of all the shite dangling off the vest.

I'm fairly relaxed about tattoos, whilst not my thing, if you banned people with tats from joining you'd have no bugger left.

Still on the reversocycle as yet another cop valued ability above the dress standards of a sad old man.

Still on the reversocycle as yet another cop valued ability above the dress standards of a sad old man.
Not really as we are discussing points of nuance which is something that escapes you.
Somebody has made a cogent point and my POV can change. I am fully prepared to be convinced.

But because you work in absolutes and are so confrontational you see this as u turning/revercocyle or whatever. Which is a pretty immature way of approaching discussion. I'm guessing you see getting banned from CA and being put on ignore by people as a badge of honour.

I wondered (and asked) why you kept bringing up irrelevant army comparisons and then it dawned on me.
Its because you don't have anything else. You grew up in the military, worked in the military and it's all you know. Well the Army is nothing like civvy street; but you haven't caught on fully yet it seems.

e.g. I asked you if you have ever worked with the UK Police and instead of saying no, you start going on about some spurious criminal connections and blankehagen and the RMP and random RLC COs, blah blah.

You've spent so many years dawdling around in military storehouses in second rate RLC regiments. Now you've left and you've continued dawdling round a storehouse/DC/warehouses, except now you can grow a beard. oooh how rebellious. Going to try a bit of weed at the weekend? so exciting.

I walk round DCs/Warehouses, the main difference being when you have to be checked by security before you are allowed out of it, I'm not; because I'm a grown up. Or you work at the music magpie (et al) site and no one cares.
I've spent 10 years now managing civvies. Not one or two in a little shed, but hundreds of people, in multiple sites in multiple countries. Guess what, its nothing like managing military people. So I won't be taking leadership or management lessons from you. Empty vessels and all that.
Its fair to say I know a lot more about civvy life then you do. I even had a proper civvy job and house with mortgage before I joined, so stay in your little bubble.
Top tip, you are probably not as good at your job as you think you are, because you will have weak managers who don't want confrontation and find it easier just to agree so you'll go away.
And you might feel like sticking up for your people, you'll tell management how it is etc etc. But those same people will stab you in the back for a £5 raise. You simply cannot compare the tiny victorian world of the Army with civilian life.

Which leads on to the second reason and why you keep raising Corrie (tbh I'm not entirely sure who he is) and other comments. Its because your trajectory is to your hobby horse which underpins nearly all of your narrow world views You hate officers and they are everything wrong with the Army. <yawn>.
I'll paraphrase but you go a bit like this:
All officers are *******, all the Lads are great.
Stacker knows all and if only ****** officers listened to him blah blah
Now adds, All managers are *******, CEOs are ultra *******, workers are great
Stacker knows all and if only ****** managers listened to him blah blah

Ever noticed how when senior people are visiting you are never introduced?
You won't care, because they are *******, etc etc.
I once thought like that but then I grew up and caught myself on.

But back to the thread.
You said you would wear a suit to an interview because that was what was expected.
But I thought it was about being good at your job and it didn't matter what you wore?
so that what was my point. about perception and image.

You have ignored that and latched on to the line and about being smart and tidy.

As always the bigger picture alludes you.

You used to be interesting and make the odd good point, now you are boring and repetitive.

Stacker.

Just f*cking stop it.

You are in danger of becoming a knob.
You also have opinions of some people with large opinions of themselves, their relevence and their business acumen. I put it to you that you are either a knob or...simply trying too hard to play devil's advocate.
Learn when to back down.

Otherwise you risk looking like a knob.

I have no idea what the rank structuire was in whatever you did in the army but...Im certain that if you got to the point you said you had reached...you would recognise ceratin traits. Your own included.

You cant be doing that well yourself if you're banging out 12 hours a day on here,

Think on.

Stacker.

Just f*cking stop it.

You are in danger of becoming a knob.
You also have opinions of some people with large opinions of themselves, their relevence and their business acumen. I put it to you that you are either a knob or...simply trying too hard to play devil's advocate.
Learn when to back down.

Otherwise you risk looking like a knob.

I have no idea what the rank structuire was in whatever you did in the army but...Im certain that if you got to the point you said you had reached...you would recognise ceratin traits. Your own included.

You cant be doing that well yourself if you're banging out 12 hours a day on here,

Think on.

Song remains the same.

Yes, this photo was taken from an article about arrests upon Roma pikey gangs, bothering people in London. That's when I noticed WPC Ftumch on the side.

Not really as we are discussing points of nuance which is something that escapes you.
Somebody has made a cogent point and my POV can change. I am fully prepared to be convinced.

But because you work in absolutes and are so confrontational you see this as u turning/revercocyle or whatever. Which is a pretty immature way of approaching discussion. I'm guessing you see getting banned from CA and being put on ignore by people as a badge of honour.

I wondered (and asked) why you kept bringing up irrelevant army comparisons and then it dawned on me.
Its because you don't have anything else. You grew up in the military, worked in the military and it's all you know. Well the Army is nothing like civvy street; but you haven't caught on fully yet it seems.

e.g. I asked you if you have ever worked with the UK Police and instead of saying no, you start going on about some spurious criminal connections and blankehagen and the RMP and random RLC COs, blah blah.

You've spent so many years dawdling around in military storehouses in second rate RLC regiments. Now you've left and you've continued dawdling round a storehouse/DC/warehouses, except now you can grow a beard. oooh how rebellious. Going to try a bit of weed at the weekend? so exciting.

I walk round DCs/Warehouses, the main difference being when you have to be checked by security before you are allowed out of it, I'm not; because I'm a grown up. Or you work at the music magpie (et al) site and no one cares.
I've spent 10 years now managing civvies. Not one or two in a little shed, but hundreds of people, in multiple sites in multiple countries. Guess what, its nothing like managing military people. So I won't be taking leadership or management lessons from you. Empty vessels and all that.
Its fair to say I know a lot more about civvy life then you do. I even had a proper civvy job and house with mortgage before I joined, so stay in your little bubble.
Top tip, you are probably not as good at your job as you think you are, because you will have weak managers who don't want confrontation and find it easier just to agree so you'll go away.
And you might feel like sticking up for your people, you'll tell management how it is etc etc. But those same people will stab you in the back for a £5 raise. You simply cannot compare the tiny victorian world of the Army with civilian life.

Which leads on to the second reason and why you keep raising Corrie (tbh I'm not entirely sure who he is) and other comments. Its because your trajectory is to your hobby horse which underpins nearly all of your narrow world views You hate officers and they are everything wrong with the Army. <yawn>.
I'll paraphrase but you go a bit like this:
All officers are *******, all the Lads are great.
Stacker knows all and if only ****** officers listened to him blah blah
Now adds, All managers are *******, CEOs are ultra *******, workers are great
Stacker knows all and if only ****** managers listened to him blah blah

Ever noticed how when senior people are visiting you are never introduced?
You won't care, because they are *******, etc etc.
I once thought like that but then I grew up and caught myself on.

But back to the thread.
You said you would wear a suit to an interview because that was what was expected.
But I thought it was about being good at your job and it didn't matter what you wore?
so that what was my point. about perception and image.

You have ignored that and latched on to the line and about being smart and tidy.

As always the bigger picture alludes you.

You used to be interesting and make the odd good point, now you are boring and repetitive.

I brought the military into because that where the majority of the sad cnuts who think looking smart means you are competent at your job come from. Most civvies dont give a ****.
You are unlikely to change your view because that would mean admit all those years you droned on about looking smart, you were talking bollocks.

Why do you confuse not shaving with doing weed? Once again you show what a sad old man you are, growing a beard doesnt affect many jobs where as drug taking does, yet you equate them as the same type of thing. You really do embarrass yourself.

Quite a few cops on here have told you that you are talking out of your hoop, despite your pretense earlier that several were against me.

My managers concentrate on getting the job done, they are not sad old men who confuse looking smart with being competent. Decent managers all over the world do that, They want results,

I mentioned Corrie because he was a rising star in the Army and did scrub up well in his uniform, who else was I going to use? I dont know that many serving nonces. I used him to show what a complete bellthronk you are to judge someone on a photo.

And now you are flailing like a right tit, it was you who brought up CEOs first, not me remember? Apparently the view of a very small minority of people is more important than that the workers.

I wore a suit because that what I thought they wanted me to wear on the interview, if I was a cop I would expect the public to want me to stop crime, but your priority is that they should look smart.

Just so we dont forget your words

Being smart/tidy generally goes hand in hand with being competent.

Latest Threads