Police get to pay £42 million in damages.

Another victory for common sense and natural justice. Not.

Police are facing a £42 million bill for the damage caused during a riot in which part of a brand new immigration centre was burned to the ground.

Judges ruled yesterday that Bedfordshire Police Authority can be sued for damages following the disturbance at Yarl’s Wood immigration detention centre in 2002.
Source:The Times

While I understand that it's the police insurers who may have to pay, this just defies common sense.

I think the first comment under the article sums it up quite neatly.

The motion is:
Replace Great with Grate in Great Britain.

Who's got the Webley? I may have a job for it.

PE4rocks said:
Another victory for common sense and natural justice. Not.

Police are facing a £42 million bill for the damage caused during a riot in which part of a brand new immigration centre was burned to the ground.

Judges ruled yesterday that Bedfordshire Police Authority can be sued for damages following the disturbance at Yarl’s Wood immigration detention centre in 2002.
Source:The Times

I was at Yarlswood during the riot, and the day after sorting out the scumbags who caused this damage. damage to probably Europes newest, and best equipped purpose built centre. We heard at the time that Beds Police were going to get sued for the damage caused by the illegals, but we all thought it was a bit of a joke. Now this just beggars believe. Is it any wonder why all those parasites at Sangatte wanted to get into the UK before claiming asylum :frustrated:

While I understand that it's the police insurers who may have to pay, this just defies common sense.

I think the first comment under the article sums it up quite neatly.

The motion is:
Replace Great with Grate in Great Britain.

Who's got the Webley? I may have a job for it.

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Mr davies puts it most succinctly I believe. The Lunatics most certainly are in charge.

Fuc ka stoat...... Now, where did I leave my lawyer......?

Times - Old Story

According to the original story, it seems that Gp4 (as was) claimed from their insurers, and the insurers sued the police.

The above Times article is worth a look:

After the trial, Detective Superintendent Andrew Richer, the officer in charge of investigating the incident, was critical of Group 4 over a witness training programme that it set up for the trial.

“At least one defendant’s directed acquittal can be traced directly back to suspected contamination issues resulting from this ill-advised venture into what appears to be little short of illegal witness coaching,” he said.

He also said that Group 4 had given counselling sessions to its staff against police advice in the weeks after the riot and that it had encouraged staff and inmates to view detainee information records to identify offenders.

So, because of Gp4, at least one person who should have been convicted escaped prison.

During the serious disturbance, Momodou [a Nigerian detainee] was said to have broken a reinforced window and helped to throw missiles through it, striking one of the security guards.
Is it asking for too much for 'reinforced' windows that asylum seekers can't smash? Not as if disturbances are a complete surprise at such places.

there was confusion about who had been detained at the centre because records were destroyed in the blaze. CCTV footage that might have helped was lost because hard drives were kept in the building that burnt down.
How professional, not keeping off site back ups.

The Home Office allowed the centre to be built without a sprinkler system, even though Bedfordshire Fire Service had recommended that one be installed.
Not just Gp4 that didn't do their job properly.

Still, amazing that Gp4 could make all these c0ck ups, then they (or their insurers) have the chutzpah to turn around and sue the police!

Thats because there is an ancient piece of legislation that says Police are responsible for damages resulting from Riots.

Hence the Police are always very reluctant to call anything a Riot. There are lots of large violent disorders instead!

A stupid piece of legislation that the Private Security Company are relying on to pay for the damage caused at their establishment that they failed to keep order at!

Beggars belief!

vvaannmmaann said:
Will this come from the annual budget?
Possibly Insurance (then there will be a huge excess, min £250,000) or out of the budget if not covered by Insurance.

Thats 10% + of most provincial Forces Annual budget.

They have to win the case first though, I would have thought.

MM

Wasn't Yarls Wood built without sprinkler systems despite advice to the Home Office to fit them when the centre was being built.

Can hardly see the fault of that being at the cost of the police!