• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Police Get New EcoFriendly Patrol Vehicles

Great...... Except for those helmets.

'If you want to look a tw@t, wear a funny hat.'

So these
....give officers greater authority by raising them 8in off the ground.
Pish

Can't cops simply walk on their own two legs anymore?

A complete waste of money

Tell me - what capability gap do these fill?

How to make a copper look like a tit perhaps? :roll:

Shouldnt there be a blue light on top?
THis has to be a wind up of some sort...

Maybe if the chap on the left ate a few less pies and walked a little more often there wouldn't be a need for Segway's to fill the I can't walk more than a couple of yards before blowing out of my arrse capability gap.

There was something up here in Scotland recently about the Police using similar things in some shopping centre or other, stating that they can see over the top of the crowds?????

762baynet said:
Nope. Sad to say these things are used by quite a lot of police forces around the world.

Most of them can afford a decent hat for the person using it though.

Still not as daft as the French rollerblade police I saw in Paris last year. :)

Police, Camera, Action will never be the same.

Regan is turning in his Sweeney grave!

strewth said:
762baynet said:
....and the siren?
There is one at the base of the control stick type thingy

On the coppers themselves:
- Not looking like a tit is important when trying to earn respect.
- Those pictures just put me off ever applying to join.
- What happens if they need to give chase?

On the sedgeways:
- How much do they cost?
- How fast do they go?
- Can you take them off-road?

Ultimately:
- What's wrong with walking?

FFS, what cupid stunt thought this up? And who was using the Family Braincell at the time? 8O :x

I'd be willing to put money that this is so they can recruit "less abled" people into the "service"

Feck knows what they'll do if they get to a set of stairs - its going to be like the daleks all over again!

Of course, if you want to create a fast response police officer, who gan get around quickly and quietly (yet still tackle stairs) then you need to get to

www.ipmba.org

Can you imagine DCI Gene Hunt on one of those things? 8O

No. Me neither. :roll:

You can't get any more environmentally friendly than shoeleather. It'll also be a good deal cheaper and rather than giving them "greater authority", it'd get 'em down among the people they're supposed to be gaining consent from. Maybe that might allow them to realise where we want them to direct their actvities?

Yeah, you're right - a silly idea. Lets just splash out a few thousand more on gimmicky PR stunts.

saw a couple of fools on them in Brighton a couple of years ago very clever
engineering solving a problem that didn't need solving.
apparently if you owned one your not allowed to use them on pavements naughty coppers :oops:
might have a use as making copper very visible or just to annoy a junior officer you don't like.
but an electrically powered bicycle can go faster further and is nearly 10 times cheaper :?

Another great idea from the people who brought you the Skateboarding copper!

The next time I hear a police officer moaning about lack of resources, I will not be responsible for my actions... :evil:

They have these damn things in Glasgow.

But there is a slight problemette:

"I have a self-balancing scooter and I want to ride in on the public road, is it legal for road use?"

No. Vehicles must be approved via ECWVTA or MSVA in order to be licensed and registered. Self-balancing scooters would not currently meet the requirements of these schemes so are not legal for road use.

"I have been riding a self-balancing scooter on the public footway (pavement) outside my house, have I committed an offence?"

Yes. It is an offence under section 72 of the Highway Act 1835 to ride or drive a vehicle on the pavement.

"Where can I ride a self-balancing scooter?"

You can only ride an unregistered self-balancing scooter on land which is private property and with the landowner's permission. The Department would advise that appropriate safety clothing should be worn at all times."

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/regulationsforselfbalancings4565

Yes: they can only be used on private land: hence shopping centres, malls and the like. If chavscum shoplifter makes it out into the wider world and Plod has to get off and, er, plod.

Latest Threads