Police force issues Muslim detainees with compasses

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Bukit_Basha, Jul 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Police force issues Muslim detainees with compasses so they can face Mecca to pray.

Norfolk Police is offering compasses to suspects so they can face accurately towards Mecca when praying.

The force had already painted the ceilings of some of its cells to point worshippers in the right direction.

FFS is there no end to this nonsense
  2. What next? Picks and Shovels or just the keys?

P.S. How about a link to the original article , please?
  3. I agree, we shouldn't be giving people compasses- imagine the damage they could do with the sharp pointy bit.

On the other hand, painting an arrow into the ceiling is a good, common sense measure to address this.

I don't think it should be a big deal really. Our best weapon against religious fanatics is to show tolerance to mainstream religion.
  4. Have any of Norfolk's finest visited a muslim country and found out how the local plod deal with this?
  5. A compass is feck all use if you don't know where Mecca is in relationship to where you are!!
  6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I know there used to be a Mecca in Norwich, but that was an awful long time ago, and the one in Cambridge closed recently. Anyway, why would detainees, especially Muslim, want to play bingo?
  7. Outrage bus go! :roll:

What's the problem? Everyone has a right to practice religion - remember these are detainees: not convicted criminals.

If this was the NAAFI I would mention something about issuing magnets to the custody Sgt to see how many different directions he could get prisoners pointing in. (But it's not - so I won't.)
  8. Is that right? :p

9. And you are quite right, but where are the special concessions for Christians and others? As others have pointed out a sodding arrow on the floor is enough. FFS man why does everyone in this PC world think that Muslims are all pious religious folk rather than the normal mix of humanity?
  10. Superb - how does that work then, if you're in Pentonville nick?

Occurs to me that the iron bars across the windows might hinder prayer heading in the correct direction too!!
  11. And who has not peeled off the mecca arrow in hotels and changed its direction?
  12. I'm agnostic so I have a giggle at most religions are a bit daft. As for concessions for Christians and other religions - the vast majority of people in custody are treated very well. It is very hard to be mistreated when the custody staff go through their process by the book. (I must add that I have regular 1st hand knowledge of this but I do not work in a police custody role.)
  13. I think there's a difference of opinion among muslims about which direction they point in.

Some argue that you should draw a straight line on a map between where you are and where the kabbah (sp?) is. Hence they point south east.

Astute, muslim navigators go for the shortest path, the great circle route to Mecca so they point north east.

It's all a load of rubbish anyway. Muslims who don't know the way to Mecca can just guess. You can't really point at anything except outer space if you're kneeling on the surface of a sphere anyway.
  14. I think a nice compass mural on the floor of every police cell would be a nice touch, or they temporarily get use of a cheep button compass :?

Not really an issue is it? Put the bus away for when we really need it :roll:
  15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

No compasses, just a sign on the door, wall, or ceiling. Fair enoughski.