Police fire arms

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by doc53, Apr 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this is the right forum or if this has been don before but here goes.

I have just been over on closeprotectionworld.com and in there they have an armed cnnie police bit. Now they are getting relly excited about being issued M4, HK36 and steyer assault rifles.

Am I the only one that thinks these weapons are not really appropriate for the poilice in built up areas?

Discuss

2. It's all in the, y'know, "Commit a crime and we'll shoot your whole family and friends by mistake" campaign. Have you not heard of it?
    It might "work" where the public is law abiding, but elsewhere...

3. onmust stop luaghing, must try to type!!!

:)

4. The Armed police at LHR use 5.56 (don't know the name of the rifle but its one with clear magazines!) and they don't seem to think that flinging that around an airport is a problem. And don't forget, they've also got CS, Tasers, GBFO angry dogs and Pistols as well.

T C

5. Not all crime is committed in built up areas, (You not seen Hot Fuzz.) I'm sure they have other arms and ammunition suited for slotting Brazilian electricians in built up areas.

6. Seriously though, and I dom't want all police without guns but thus kit is really not appropriate for law enforcement in urban areas.

Only the other day at birmingham airport I saw an armed female WPC who was smaller tan the fckuing gun she was carrying.

I can hear the prosecution now.

"so you shot the suspect"
    "yep"
    "and the orphanage he was in front of"
    "yep"

I am sure you can see where this is going.

7. Aug Styr?

8. Found it, HK G36. Looks cool!

T C

Edit to add- Can you post the article / source of this excitement? It looks like other Forces already have these weapons any way.

T C

9. I remember back in 1985 a police officer from the very rural market town where our Air Cadet unit was came to show us some of their weapons and talk about his job. He had an M16 in his bag of goodies.

10. Want that one! :drool:

11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The firearms team in the force I served in went OTT. When I started in it,we had Browning 9mm, Enfield Enforcer and double barrel shotguns.
    Before I left, team were in black nomex, carried MP5, with 6, count' em 6 mags, Glock !0 with 4 mags, and GBFO knives strapped upside down on webbing. And small randall knife in boot sheath. Also Used a Remington 7mm as long gun.
    Touch of overkill on ammo, perhaps.
    Oh, and Franchi SPAS shotguns.

12. I remember a former senior firearms officer, Colin Greenwood, criticising the police for buying exotic weaponry and stating there was no need for it because the weapons already issued were perfectly adequate, ergo, they were wasting taxpayers' money. He also mentioned at least one force buying a .458 winchester rifle just in case an elephant escaped from a zoo as an example.

13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Colin Greenwood! A name from the past. He was part of my training team. Good bloke, very switched on. Our force had a sawn off side by side and solid shot, we used it when bulls escaped from cattle market.

14. your force didn't buy the .458? ISTR also reading about Barretts being purchased.

15. Cant blame the fire arm officers .Given the sligtest chance most squaddies would deck themselves out like commando given half a chance.
    Whoever holds their budget on the other hand should say you dont need it .