Police equivalent to Fit to Fight

Thats my point Mr R, they want us fit, but provide no time. Given the amount of courts of rest days I have and courts during A/L my time off is precious enough.( enough of this moaning about time off before Western shows up, ;o) )
I might be wrogn but I got the feeling they do get given time, i'll ask him next time i speak to him

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
We must achieve 10.5 and a push pull test on my team. We train most days but this is in our own time. We occasionally get the odd hour to train when we have some downtime but this is rare.
I always feel we are looked down upon by our "management" who seem to regard us as little more than trained monkeys. How soon they forget how many times we have saved their worthless careers. Ho hum.

We must achieve 10.5 and a push pull test on my team. We train most days but this is in our own time. We occasionally get the odd hour to train when we have some downtime but this is rare.
I always feel we are looked down upon by our "management" who seem to regard us as little more than trained monkeys. How soon they forget how many times we have saved their worthless careers. Ho hum.
I've never understood why CivPol use a push-pull machine to measure recruits upper body strength. A free weight Bench Press is a much more accurate measurement of a person's ability to push. And the Deadlift is the ultimate test of pulling strength.

Machines are an inferior method to increase or measure strength. They force the muscles to work in a groove; you don't have to balance or stabilize the weight you are "lifting".

McChanClan

Swinger
Surprised to see variations in the basic standards - kinda thought NPIA et al had them rolled out across England & Wales. Did someone actually mention press ups somewhere? Can't make people do that without an e-learning package first surely!

My paymasters require the standard level 5.4 on the bleep test (using only 15 meters IIRC as opposed to the standard 20 meters) followed by hitting 30-something kg on the push/pull machine. I really shouldn't be surprised but it never fails to stun me when I see people struggle or even fail to hit the 5.4 *sigh*

The Police really are different from HM Forces,at a similar level.Then again they are true PC civilians! No doubt the Police may weed out the hopelessly unfit,in the next round of cuts? Don't hold your breath.

Most of the coppers I saw knocking around Farnborough last time I was home (and I saw a few because I was involved in an er, incident - as a witness) looked fit enough to me. I didn't see a single obvious pie gobbler at all.

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I've never understood why CivPol use a push-pull machine to measure recruits upper body strength. A free weight Bench Press is a much more accurate measurement of a person's ability to push. And the Deadlift is the ultimate test of pulling strength.

Machines are an inferior method to increase or measure strength. They force the muscles to work in a groove; you don't have to balance or stabilize the weight you are "lifting".
I think it's probably something to do with nobody ever having injured themselves on a push pull machine. That's more important to the management than actually measuring fitness for the role.

I think it's probably something to do with nobody ever having injured themselves on a push pull machine. That's more important to the management than actually measuring fitness for the role.
Understandable. My own view is, if you are dumb/unlucky enough to injure yourself Benching or Deadlifting, you're probably better off not being a copper in the first place. But then, I'm not going to have to justify paying compensation to some Mong who dropped a barbell on their foot...

It's also my belief that, male or female, if you cannot Bench at least half your bodyweight and Deadlift at least three-quarters, then you are, technically, dead.

pegasus797

War Hero
My old force had a decent fitness selection for entry, bleep test, push and pull aswell as 3 laps of an indoor assault course. Well, I say assault course, it was basicly running round a set course of cones with jumps, agility, dummy body pull and carries. All in all, wasn't a bad effort by the force to set a minimal standard of fitness. It had to be completed at the selection, mid point and end of 2 years probation but stopped after the end of probation with no further requirement for officers to have to pass a basic minimum unless wanting to do psu( public order), dog section or armed response. Have to say, they atleast made an effort. My current force has nothing, no basic standard, there was only a medical for transfer and that was it. Response officers just do their day to day stuff and that's it. I do my psu training and refreshers with shield carries and bleep tests and enjoy it as it's the only set phys we do but means those that are doing extra are all at the same minimum standard. The jobs not the same anymore, gone are the days of being a force, replaced by the new friendly, customer service, partnership working, community based 'service'.

leigh1526

Old-Salt
In your own time, unless TSG or CO19 where I believe they can do it in duty time. On team the only fitness test is the annual gravesend shuffle 500m shield run (2.45) but thats only for level 2 officers who are all volunteers. (For the Met)

In your own time, unless TSG or CO19 where I believe they can do it in duty time. On team the only fitness test is the annual gravesend shuffle 500m shield run (2.45) but thats only for level 2 officers who are all volunteers. (For the Met)
I get what you say about CO19 & CO20, any idea about CO6& SO18 arvs after all aren't they ment to be in the same role

Latest Threads