Police Dog Handler to be prosecuted

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by dropshortjock, Jul 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There's a result.

Police dog handler charged over deaths of German Shepherds left in 47c car on hottest day of the year

The police officer who left his two trained police dogs in his car on one of the hottest days of the year will be prosecuted for killing them, the RSPCA announced today.
    The Nottinghamshire Police dog handler will be charged with 'causing unnecessary suffering to animals' - a crime that carries a maximum sentence of six months in prison and a £20,000 fine.
    The charge was announced today by the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals (RSPCA), which prosecutes all but the most serious crimes perpetrated on animals.

2. Good. I was thinking this one would be swept under the carpet and forgotten about.
  3. Would have thought internal police disciplinary for failing in duty of care to police assets would have sufficed. We're talking about a couple of dogs here, not a Pol Pot special.
  4. What's he being prosecuted for?

parking on a double yellow?

surely not for just letting 2 stupid animals cop it?

Animal cruelty is going the same way as this site, watered down, not fit for purpose and not as good as it used to be.

What sort of signals is this sending out to our children? In 3 years time there'll be no one to pull wings of daddy long legs, tie bangers to cats tails and mallet hamsters flat with rolling pins.

it's the thin end of the wedge.
  5. Sad though it is, it sounds like a genuine mistake and a tragic accident. There was certainly no intent to hurt the animals.
  6. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

So all dogs are worthless and can be killed on a whim then? Not saying I am a tree hugger/animal fcuker or anything, but I think most people were shocked at the stupidity of this tw@t for failing to notice how scorching it was that day and that his mutts were locked up.

I say good riddance to the fool.
  7. He left them for a couple of minutes, went into the office and got sidetracked. Easily done, and any other day it would have been fine. A stupid oversight with tragic consequences, but something that could have happened to any of us on a bad day, and not criminal.
  8. Agree totally mate, his career's fucked as it is, I cant see any useful purpose in prosecuting him
  9. If he can 'forget' that he has two dogs and working dogs at that in the back of his van while he pops into the office for two minutes, then what else is he capable of forgetting because he was 'sidetracked'.
    He's not upto the job, you can't go 'forgetting' when your doing a job like that. It's not quite the same as forgetting to call for a loaf of bread on your way home from work.
    Would he have left a baby or a toddler in an unventilated vehicle on a red hot day for two minutes then 'forget' they were there while they roasted to death? I dont think so!
    Be it human or beast, he still caused an agonising death because his memory is apparently shite.
  10. Would a member of the public face prosecution under the same circumstances? Yes; so therefore there is a case.
  11. Because justice doesn't need to be done, but needs to be seen to being done.
  12. Surely the question is what happened in the station to distract him? If there was a struggling prisoner and it needed all available bodies to restrain him, then you can't expect him to stop halfway through and say "oh dear, I left the dogs in the van". Alternatively, if it was a cup of tea that distracted him, then he deserves a kicking.
  13. Agree totally, but I doubt he feels great about it and his career is already fcuked. And it wasn't toddlers - it was dogs.
  14. What? I wonder if a civvie who did the same thing would elicit such flabby excuses! You really need to have a word with yourself, mucker.

15. I realise that Delta. :)