Police Dog Handler to be prosecuted

There's a result.

Police dog handler charged over deaths of German Shepherds left in 47c car on hottest day of the year

The police officer who left his two trained police dogs in his car on one of the hottest days of the year will be prosecuted for killing them, the RSPCA announced today.
The Nottinghamshire Police dog handler will be charged with 'causing unnecessary suffering to animals' - a crime that carries a maximum sentence of six months in prison and a £20,000 fine.
The charge was announced today by the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals (RSPCA), which prosecutes all but the most serious crimes perpetrated on animals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shepherds-left-116f-car-hottest-day-year.html

Would have thought internal police disciplinary for failing in duty of care to police assets would have sufficed. We're talking about a couple of dogs here, not a Pol Pot special.

What's he being prosecuted for?

parking on a double yellow?

surely not for just letting 2 stupid animals cop it?

Animal cruelty is going the same way as this site, watered down, not fit for purpose and not as good as it used to be.

What sort of signals is this sending out to our children? In 3 years time there'll be no one to pull wings of daddy long legs, tie bangers to cats tails and mallet hamsters flat with rolling pins.

it's the thin end of the wedge.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
Would have thought internal police disciplinary for failing in duty of care to police assets would have sufficed. We're talking about a couple of dogs here, not a Pol Pot special.
So all dogs are worthless and can be killed on a whim then? Not saying I am a tree hugger/animal fcuker or anything, but I think most people were shocked at the stupidity of this tw@t for failing to notice how scorching it was that day and that his mutts were locked up.

I say good riddance to the fool.

Command_doh said:
So all dogs are worthless and can be killed on a whim then? Not saying I am a tree hugger/animal fcuker or anything, but I think most people were shocked at the stupidity of this tw@t for failing to notice how scorching it was that day and that his mutts were locked up.

He left them for a couple of minutes, went into the office and got sidetracked. Easily done, and any other day it would have been fine. A stupid oversight with tragic consequences, but something that could have happened to any of us on a bad day, and not criminal.

DeltaDog said:
Command_doh said:

He left them for a couple of minutes, went into the office and got sidetracked. Easily done, and any other day it would have been fine. A stupid oversight with tragic consequences, but something that could have happened to any of us on a bad day, and not criminal.
Agree totally mate, his career's fucked as it is, I cant see any useful purpose in prosecuting him

If he can 'forget' that he has two dogs and working dogs at that in the back of his van while he pops into the office for two minutes, then what else is he capable of forgetting because he was 'sidetracked'.
He's not upto the job, you can't go 'forgetting' when your doing a job like that. It's not quite the same as forgetting to call for a loaf of bread on your way home from work.
Would he have left a baby or a toddler in an unventilated vehicle on a red hot day for two minutes then 'forget' they were there while they roasted to death? I dont think so!
Be it human or beast, he still caused an agonising death because his memory is apparently shite.

DeltaDog said:
Command_doh said:

Would a member of the public face prosecution under the same circumstances? Yes; so therefore there is a case.

hogspawn said:
DeltaDog said:
Command_doh said:

Agree totally mate, his career's fucked as it is, I cant see any useful purpose in prosecuting him
Because justice doesn't need to be done, but needs to be seen to being done.

Surely the question is what happened in the station to distract him? If there was a struggling prisoner and it needed all available bodies to restrain him, then you can't expect him to stop halfway through and say "oh dear, I left the dogs in the van". Alternatively, if it was a cup of tea that distracted him, then he deserves a kicking.

bossyboots said:
If he can 'forget' that he has two dogs and working dogs at that in the back of his van while he pops into the office for two minutes, then what else is he capable of forgetting because he was 'sidetracked'.
He's not upto the job, you can't go 'forgetting' when your doing a job like that. It's not quite the same as forgetting to call for a loaf of bread on your way home from work.
Would he have left a baby or a toddler in an unventilated vehicle on a red hot day for two minutes then 'forget' they were there while they roasted to death? I dont think so!
Be it human or beast, he still caused an agonising death because his memory is apparently shite.
Agree totally, but I doubt he feels great about it and his career is already fcuked. And it wasn't toddlers - it was dogs.

hogspawn said:
DeltaDog said:
Command_doh said:

What? I wonder if a civvie who did the same thing would elicit such flabby excuses! You really need to have a word with yourself, mucker.

MsG

I realise that Delta. :)

Toddlers wouldn't cause half as much fuss I suspect... :oops:

If a company director crashes his car and loses his license or a teacher strays with an 18 year old student or whatever...the bottom line is that those were the rules. So a dog-handler should have been on top of his game. As should any other example of a criminally neglectful or inappropriate act whilst in your work context.

Fcuk him.
If it wasa member of the public they'd be prosecuted. So why should he be treated differently?
If there were extenuating circumstances as to why he "forgot" then they will come up in court.
Forgetfulness is no defence, just like ignorance of the law isn't.

Bugsy said:
What? I wonder if a civvie who did the same thing would elicit such flabby excuses! You really need to have a word with yourself, mucker.

MsG
Wouldn't a civvie just bury them in the garden, as is customary with pets who meet their demise?

Wouldn't it be rather nice if people could make the distinction between what constitutes a criminal act, and what is mere error that has unpleasant and unintended consequences?

DeltaDog said:
Do we know this is actually what happened? Or is this an assumption of what possibly happened to later be decided in a court, perhaps?

"got sidetracked" can easily be the same as "allowed himself to be sidetracked"

"Easily done" can easily be the same as "wasn't thinking about two dogs frying from the inside out"

Allowing two sentient creatures to die a horrible, painful death. "not criminal"? I should bloody well coco.