Police chiefs want affirmative action

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stoatman, Apr 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/04/03/ncop03.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/04/03/ixportal.html

So, it appears that having the police force represent the community in its ethnic makeup is more important than having an effective police force... :roll:

I'd like to see the "evidence" that Julie Spence appears to be quoting from - all the studies I've seen regarding positive discrimination result in a reduction in standards - it's simple common sense that if you recruit people on a basis other than ability, the average ability of your recruits goes down. Or perhaps she's one of these people that believes that diversity necessarily improves performance? Or maybe the fact that I believe that people should be recruited on the basis of ability alone makes me some kind of evil right-wing reactionary in her eyes? I dunno!

Stoatman - C+P edited for copyright issues etc.

Guys if you're going to c+p News items, can youkeep an eye on copyright issues please?

2. You evil right-wing reactionary, you. Your post is a direct attack on the entirely Correct policy of establishing arbitrary 'targets' which will enhance the joyous Social experience of New, Controlled Britain.

So what if they're chosen on the basis of political prejudice? By definition they're Correct.
  3. Yes it has, it has just been ignored, and I would live to know what the criteria for something to be judged a sucess is, because this is certainly not how I and many like me view this process.
  4. You might want to note that ethnic minority candidates would only be preferred if they have the same qualifications as comparable white candidates. It's not as if they'd put having a good ethnic mix over the quality of recruits.
  5. That doesn't make it any better - they're still discriminating on the basis of race, and I guarantee 100% that it won't just be used with equally-qualified candidates - there will be some leeway in its use, which will result in a slightly more qualified whitey getting turned down.
  6. Unfortunately thats what your getting, is Policing by government targets. The ACPO officers are panicing because the ethnic minority targets are one of the main criteria for judging whether a force, will pass or fail it's annual inspections.
    The government run the police. Whatever the Home office says they have to implement there ideas, whether it works or not!!!!
    There has been a lot of advertising towards ethnic minorities to join, unfortunately they are not interested, so what automatic preferance is going to do , God knows.
  7. Whenever I see this argument, it seems that the reasoning the people in favour of it are using is that

These jobs are already open to women and ethnic minorities! And discriminating against whites can only lead to a lowering of standards, when a poorly qualified black or asian is hired instead of a white bloke, of whatever qualification - which this will eventually lead to. Sure, you'll get your fair mix of ethnics with M.A. B.Sc Ph.D and all that after their name, but the chances are that they'd get the job anyway. So all this policy would do is allow the school dropouts who happen to have a darker skin tone into the Police. Good news for the criminals - the cops will be even more incompetent.

It's bloody disgraceful that it is even being contemplated discriminating against white people. After all Bliar's talk about stamping out racism - this. I shouldn't really be suprised, should I? I particularly like the term "positive discrimination" which makes it sound all respectable.
    There was lots of positive discrimination by the KKK, for whites, wasn't there?

Also, more disturbingly, perhaps, this will undoubtedly lead to a backlash against ethnic minorities, and the BNP and other racist prick groups like them will be among the first to jump on the bandwagon.

All the more reason to make sure Bliar and Co. don't get back in at May.
  8. It's all c0ck.

White recruits aren't joining the Old Bill in any great numbers either.

All this farting about introducing new this and that , makes me tired of screaming at the keyboard

Want to get more recruits, from all ethnic groups?

9. That about sums it up. I remember about fifteen years ago someone doing a survey of the Police effnic composition, and concluding that the reason why there were so few Indians in any force was that the average Indian school/university leaver regarded the salaries as derisory.
  10. Then why have they cited the NI model, because I can assure the members that is NOT what happens here. We have had candidates refused a place who have scored 86% in the recruitment "competition", when others who have scored 36% have been accepted. Standards do and will fall, and they are low enough as it is.
  11. NO NO NO......

The only way to go on this is a totally level playing field with ALL candidates considered on their qualifications and personall qualities.

To this end all reference to colour, race etce must be kept from the initial selection panel. Although at interview it will be apparant!!

Must admit though, something has to be done re the salary issue. Something that in all honesty, for me with a family to support does stop me from rejoining the force!!!
  12. This policy would be, plain and simple, racist!

How would you feel if you'd wanted all your life to join the police and then found out you were turned down because you were not of the correct colour.

This will fuel the support for the BNP etc, give racists more ammo for their cause, undermine morale of serving officers, and probably give rise to law suits against the police.

If the govt want to reduce racism, then dont encourage prejudice in good people.
  13. si it even legal for the Home Office to order this? I can't remember how the racial discrimination laws are phrased.
  14. How is service in the Police Force sold to a new recruit?
  15. As others have pointed out, your wrong, dead wrong. Living and working in the US where these laws are "normal," you will always have preferential treatment for what the "higher ups" are looking for. Doesn't matter if they are minorities, gay, women, etc.

In the US, federal grant money for police depts hinge, quite often, on the diversity of the ranks. The more minorities promoted, the more money the dept can get. Therefore, unqualified and not as qualified applicants, get promoted over others.

Happens every day, in every state, of the US...