Police chiefs may quit if made accountable.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Nov 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

From the BBC.

While I have a lot of time for Mr Orde, his line about this type of accountability destroying public trust was amazingly out of touch. I nearly chocked on my coffee. The reason these changes are needed is because the Police have already lost public trust.

There's a few little empires about to come tumbling down next year. If they want to resign then crack on, there will be plenty of others waiting to fill their shoes and do the policing the public wants. Lets not forget the Police are there to serve the public, not the other way around.

My bold, he is kidding right :oops:

Bring it on I say, its about time the Police remembered who they work for.
  2. Would you want Labour to be in officially in control of the police Ord?
  3. Well, if they're not prepared to be held accountable by elected officials - then who are they to be held accountable by?

What a chopper!
  4. msr

msr LE

And why do we still have 43 different forces?
  5. Because it costs more and is less efficient - thats why. Its the job of the public sector to spend taxes you know.
  6. They already are in all but name.
  7. God forbid - then we might have people arrested for heckling Labour Ministers at the Party Conferance. Or those who leak documents that embarass the Gub'mint might be arrested and their home searched by Plod!

...Oh, hang on... 8O

The police, at the senior level, have long since become the paramilitary wing of ZANU-Labour. :roll:
  8. They are drawing the battle lines for the next Conservative Government.

ACPO has gone way beyond it's original brief and if you had listened to Orde this morning it would be clear to you that he was throwing the gauntlet down.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Bring it on I say!
  10. My point is that any influence at the moment is illegal and kept under the carpet. God knows what would happen if it became policy.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So setting police policy via Parliament, funding ACPO and sacking Chief Constables is illegal?
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

What he said. If politicians are going to influence the police then at least lets have one who is directly and locally elected pulling the strings, works pretty well for the Americans. It doesn't seem to have brought their democracy crashing down.

Influencing Police priorities is perfectly within a local politicians remit if you ask me. Current policing practice is no longer by the consensus of the people. Things have to change so this in my opinion this is a reasonable course to take.
  13. Heard this interview on the radio and found his response quite childish.
    As yet nothing is set in stone,therefore still to be debated.Not so much Sir Hugh Orde throwing the gauntlet down as throwing is teddy out of the pram.As has been mentioned if they do leave I'm sure there are plenty to fill the void.
  14. There's definitely a distinct difference between being made accountable and having major (or minor) policing decisions being made for purely political purposes.

Would these 'Police commissioners' influence local police policy to dictate what is 'sexy' or current to curry favour with the public and win votes. Oh Yes!
    Would policy be suited to appease the media and become disproportionate to the whole force policing plan? You bet!
    Would the Chief Constables Annual Report look like a party manifesto for whoever is in power? I reckon so!

What if, by some chance, a BNP member got voted in the be Police Commissioner? As a member of the Police cannot be an active member of the BNP, how would that sit legally with the BNP controlling local and force police policy?

Dangerous ground.
    Hell, let's just go the whole way and do the judicary too. That way we can set the sentencing guidelines with the help of the editor of The Sun.
  15. Chief Constables should be elected by the local populance.
    Having been subject to theat lunatic Brunstrom's idea of policing I would say it is essential.