Police ballot for the right to strike

Good. I'm sick of these cnuts. Pay freeze, pension raped, overtime hacked, and now they want me to take a 5K pay cut in 3 years time. **** them, I will strike.

Good. I'm sick of these cnuts. Pay freeze, pension raped, overtime hacked, and now they want me to take a 5K pay cut in 3 years time. **** them, I will strike.
Can't say I blame you.

However, how are you going to get round the law as it stands when you remember what happened in 1919?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Yes all the public sector is the same, the Nurses union ignored the ballot for action and issued a very disappointed letter.

Feel sorry for them, but they shouldn't be allowed the right to strike.
It is a hard one this and I agree with you, the Police have every right to feel pissed off but the damage that would be done to the Police themselves would be irrepairable IMO.

Not trying to be overtly dramatic but in this day and age a Police strike could lead to something far worse.

Not exactly 'Mad Max' but with todays comms and intent could make last years riots seem quite tame in comparison.

Let us hope that cooler heads prevail in the Police Federation and/or the Govt stops buggering them about.

The issue of striking is related to their job security, basically if they get right to strike then the government get the right to sack them. The latest round of changes proposed, apart from the changes in pay, conditions and pensions (an increase in police contributions for their pension for the same product while the MPs keep the same pension without paying a penny for it) also points towards the Government being able to make "redundancies". The discussion on right to strike is related to the fact that if the Government can now "sack them through redundancy" why not have the right to strike.

Personally how anyone on here can side with the Government on this is beyond me.

Work to rule during the Olympics!
Not allowed to work to rule, not allowed to strike either all we can do is sit there and take it. The PolFed has no leverage and even the general public have fallen for the massive anti police blah coming from the government. how many times have I heard that we don't want to strike because we would lose the support of the public and the government. Well, it appears to me as though they were lost years ago.

I completed the poll and answered yes to it all!!

The issue of striking is related to their job security, basically if they get right to strike then the government get the right to sack them. The latest round of changes proposed, apart from the changes in pay, conditions and pensions (an increase in police contributions for their pension for the same product while the MPs keep the same pension without paying a penny for it) also points towards the Government being able to make "redundancies". The discussion on right to strike is related to the fact that if the Government can now "sack them through redundancy" why not have the right to strike.

Personally how anyone on here can side with the Government on this is beyond me.
Bang on.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Having worked in law enforcement (albeit with a different badge and management who shat themselves if you actually used the powers given to you in the Act), I have every sympathy with the boys (and girls) in blue.

If the Police Federation turned into a Union and they had the right to strike for proper pay and conditions then I would join them on their picket line.

Please don't get me wrong, whilst I might appear to be playing Devil's Advocate I have a lot of sympathy for you.
I also think the Government are paying the **** with the safety and security of every law abiding person in this country.

The thing is, how do you get around the 1919 Police Act, as the moment you take any type of action you become lawbreakers as opposed to lawkeepers?

B

Biscuits_AB

Sorry troops, but I don't want to see a future where the police start to act like the Fire Brigade. And it would get to that at some stage. Sorry that you're getting fucked over but so is everyone else.

Please don't get me wrong, whilst I might appear to be playing Devil's Advocate I have a lot of sympathy for you.
I also think the Government are paying the **** with the safety and security of every law abiding person in this country.

The thing is, how do you get around the 1919 Police Act, as the moment you take any type of action you become lawbreakers as opposed to lawkeepers?

It would take an act of Parliament to be able to change the Police Act. I'm no expert but the thinking is we would fight for the right through the European Courts to force Parliament to push through the change. if this is possible then it would put us in a stronger negotiating position as it is we have no rights and no power to strengthen our case.

As I said I'm no expert just a very threaders Bobby.

It would take an act of Parliament to be able to change the Police Act. I'm no expert but the thinking is we would fight for the right through the European Courts to force Parliament to push through the change. if this is possible then it would put us in a stronger negotiating position as it is we have no rights and no power to strengthen our case.

As I said I'm no expert just a very threaders Bobby.
I wish you well in trying to get a better deal, a lot more people sympathise than you probably realise.

However sympathy doesn't pay the mortgage etc.....

I do understand that negotiations with HM Govt have ended with a big brick wall for you and I am further surprised that it is a Tory Govt that is inflicting this upon you.

Budgetary considerations aside, I think Cameron et al are playing a dangerous game with our Police and I am sure that more funding could have been gained by sensible economies elsewhere, Child Benefit for instance.

The big one is; If you do go on strike, you do realise that this will probably mean the end of you and your colleagues as serving Police Officers and will in all probability end in charges being laid against a fair proportion.

Plus, if say, a riot of any type kicks off during a Police strike, the Government and the Public will never forgive and will want your heads on sticks.

Police don't strike, it's the law.

Same as for squaddies.

It's no surprise that Cameron et al are behind this. Cameron was a chief advisor to Ken Clarke during the drafting of Sheehy, it's no secret that he was out to nail the Police after Sheehy's failure.

The facts and figures don't back up their rationale, there is a clear agenda which does not include compromise.

It is no coincidence, either, that the introduction of elected Commissioners will coincide with Winsor introductions.

Chief Constables and Police Authorities have a historical allegiance/loyalty (well some do) to PC Plod, but Commissioners will be new, keen, power crazy meglomaniacs in the most part, keen to exert authority and swing Camerons axe for him.

I think that if the Govt. can change Pension Law and basically change the contracts of serving Plod then said Plod have every right to say ''**** your 1919 Act'' and tear it up for a better deal. Let Anarchy reign and see how quick the ******* idiots that inhabit Westminster cave in.