Police ballot for the right to strike

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by LancePrivateJones, Mar 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hope this hasn't been done already.

Seems like the scuffers want the right to withdraw their labour.

Here >> BBC News - Police to be balloted on right to strike

Could open up lots of cans of worms legally and otherwise.

NB : I posted this in the IntCell because CA rules confuse the **** out of me.
  2. Good. I'm sick of these *****. Pay freeze, pension raped, overtime hacked, and now they want me to take a 5K pay cut in 3 years time. **** them, I will strike.
    • Like Like x 8
  3. Can't say I blame you.

However, how are you going to get round the law as it stands when you remember what happened in 1919?
  4. Yes all the public sector is the same, the Nurses union ignored the ballot for action and issued a very disappointed letter.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Work to rule during the Olympics!
  6. Feel sorry for them, but they shouldn't be allowed the right to strike.
  7. It is a hard one this and I agree with you, the Police have every right to feel pissed off but the damage that would be done to the Police themselves would be irrepairable IMO.

Not trying to be overtly dramatic but in this day and age a Police strike could lead to something far worse.

Not exactly 'Mad Max' but with todays comms and intent could make last years riots seem quite tame in comparison.

Let us hope that cooler heads prevail in the Police Federation and/or the Govt stops buggering them about.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. The issue of striking is related to their job security, basically if they get right to strike then the government get the right to sack them. The latest round of changes proposed, apart from the changes in pay, conditions and pensions (an increase in police contributions for their pension for the same product while the MPs keep the same pension without paying a penny for it) also points towards the Government being able to make "redundancies". The discussion on right to strike is related to the fact that if the Government can now "sack them through redundancy" why not have the right to strike.

Personally how anyone on here can side with the Government on this is beyond me.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Not allowed to work to rule, not allowed to strike either all we can do is sit there and take it. The PolFed has no leverage and even the general public have fallen for the massive anti police blah coming from the government. how many times have I heard that we don't want to strike because we would lose the support of the public and the government. Well, it appears to me as though they were lost years ago.

I completed the poll and answered yes to it all!!
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Bang on.
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Having worked in law enforcement (albeit with a different badge and management who shat themselves if you actually used the powers given to you in the Act), I have every sympathy with the boys (and girls) in blue.

If the Police Federation turned into a Union and they had the right to strike for proper pay and conditions then I would join them on their picket line.
  12. Please don't get me wrong, whilst I might appear to be playing Devil's Advocate I have a lot of sympathy for you.
    I also think the Government are paying the **** with the safety and security of every law abiding person in this country.

The thing is, how do you get around the 1919 Police Act, as the moment you take any type of action you become lawbreakers as opposed to lawkeepers?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sorry troops, but I don't want to see a future where the police start to act like the Fire Brigade. And it would get to that at some stage. Sorry that you're getting fucked over but so is everyone else.
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Why?