Police Assault and DD

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by penfoldio, Jan 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son, a loud and lairy 18 year old (living with his brother) has just been charged with D&D.

No problem, the ********* was drunk so deserves his ban and fine.

Problem I have is he is now sporting as rather large black eye, swollen nose, several bruises on his person and a fractured elbow.

The damage was provided by one male police officer in the back of a panda car. His female colleague while not present has made a statement advising my son required to be restrained.

He doesnt want to push a complaint but Im very very angry.

Im all for old fashioned policing (My Dads an ex copper and he new Eric Liddle before he met his demise (Eric not my Dad) but the extent of his injuries seem excessive.

Should I push it ?
    What should he expect for the DD- he says he recorded 94 whatever that means.

2. While having no experience with Law, I recommend at least getting advice from the C.A.B or from a solicitor.

Plus, he means he blew 94 on the breathalyzer, the legal limit for driving is 35, so he was bound to be a bit 'merry.'

3. The extent of his injuries might seem excessive but perhaps they were justified. Think about it this way, I've managed to crack ribs and spatter my nose just falling over when pished when no one else was around, if he had a go at the officer, and the officer pushed him or heel palmed him in the face (reasonable force if being attacked by a drunken youth) he could easily have fallen, smashed his nose and broke his elbow. Just a thought.

4. What did the disorderly part consist of?

5. Your precious bloody brat should think himself lucky that the Police caught him. :x

If they hadn't, he might now be facing a charge of killing an innocent pedestrian.

Stop bloody well whinging & thank your lucky stars that he is still in one piece & that he hasn't injured anybody else.

By the way, I hope they throw the book at him. I hate drunken drivers!!! :x

6. Disorderly bit, I believe, was demanding his car be secured.

From bitter experience he can be loud and obnoxious. I can handle restraint etc but surely if bones break its not restraint, or if it is then its badly executed.

I worked in childrens care homes and was trained in restraint technique.

I dont think bending an arm at the elbow until it snaps qualifies.

7. He`s well over twice the limit. Unless he`s got a witness or it`s been recorded on CCTV, who is the court going to believe? As stated before, he could seek legal advice but a complaint would probably just prolong the agony.

8. Then you should know how difficult it is to restrain someone who is determined to escape/injure you. Especially if you are trying to restrain someone by yourself.

It is extremely difficult to restrain a person one-on-one without causing injury. I understand your concern as the boy's father. But given his crime and your discription of his previous behaviour, I'm afraid I feel very little sympathy for him.

9. Yes I think I have already said he deserves the punishment bit.

Not whingeing about that, if whinging at all.
    Bit I find hard to stomach is my Son having bones broken by someone larger than him and with the benefit of his 'punch bag' being cuffed at the time.
    But thanks for your input. Maybe it was the book being thrown that broke his nose and elbow?

10. I say again - perhaps the force used and the injuries caused were justified. Remember you only have the account of a young person, who at the time of the incident was not fully in charge of their mental faculties through drink and from perceptional distortion of the incident induced by the flight or fight reflex that occurs when under stress. It is conceivable that the injuries you have mentioned were caused when using force to firstly stop any threat posed by your son, secondly to restrain him and thirdly move him into the back of a car.

11. If he was drunk then it may be possible that he sustained the injuries before arrest? Is it possible to fracture an elbow by bending an arm? He was handcuffed at the time which would make it even more difficult.

More likely the elbow could have been injured by him falling over on it before or during arrest.

Is he taking this further himself (which you would expect if this really happened) or are you considering it when he isn't? This may be a good indicator of whether the lily has been guilded perhaps.

12. Difficult to safely restrain someone in the back of a car. It would take greater effort because your ******** son would be able to push off the doors, roof and floor with his legs and make it very difficult to keep him still.

13. Broken elbow - that would be consistent with having to use your peg on somebody who has resisted charm, wit, banter and is determined to bash a copper, would it not? A single arrestee can take up to ten officers to restrain him, especially as oooh matron remarks if they have things to leverage off.

As biffins-bridge remarks, the officer in restraining your son is not required to put your son's safety ahead of his own or any other officers' or civilians' at the scene. It sounds as though having been got bang to rights, he is now looking to feel better about the case, by blaming somebody (i.e. the police) for his "misfortunes". Gosh, he does have issues doesn't he?

14. Broken elbow - that would be consistent with having to use your peg on somebody who has resisted charm, wit, banter and is determined to bash a copper, would it not? A single arrestee can take up to ten officers to restrain him, especially as oooh matron remarks if they have things to leverage off.

As biffins-bridge remarks, the officer in restraining your son is not required to put your son's safety ahead of his own or any other officers' or civilians' at the scene. It sounds as though having been got bang to rights, he is now looking to feel better about the case, by blaming somebody (i.e. the police) for his "misfortunes". Gosh, he does have issues doesn't he?

Edited to add: Sorry if that comes across as harsh but those of us with teen/twenty year old sons have been there, got the tee-shirt and in my case without this sort of end-game. If you came on here for advice, then some good advice has been given by serving (by the sound of it) coppers. If you were looking for sympathy, well that you will find in the dictionary - between sh1t and syphillis...

15. 94microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath possibly

or

94 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood

either way it equals this

Drivers found to exceed the limits detailed above are automatically given a minimum one-year disqualification. You could also find yourself paying a fine of up to £5,000 and/or up to six months imprisonment.

as well as the resisting arrest or assualting a police officer, I'd expect you to say good by to him for a while?