Police Arrest Ipswich Murder Suspect

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by smallbore, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a bit annoyed with the radio/BBC/press etc who are reporting the 3 murdered women from Ipswich and continually refer to them as "prostitutes", never as "women".

The implication is that "they brought it upon themselves" or they "are lesser people who don't count".

When a black drug dealer is murdered he is treated with more respect by the media.

2. I agree with what you say mate, but this is British Journalism, catering for the great unwashed that make up the British public. Do you really expect anything better?

3. Your implication. The newsdesks may feel that naming the 'profession' adds context to the developing narrative, i.e. that something of a pattern would appear to be emerging in this case. I'm not sure there is any disdain in the reporting - most adept journalists are quite comfortable with understanding and relaying the social problems that make some people choose prostitution without prejudice.

What would you prefer - some sanitised reference to what they do and did? If the media called them 'wimmin' how would we know that they were prostitutes - a vital fact common to all the deaths?

As for your closing point, do you really believe that?

4. It's quite tragic really that these women had to go down this route in the first place but the world is far from perfect.

5. I think the point does need to be made that they were 'women first, sex workers second'

After all , was every woman Sutcliffe killed on the game?

Every woman in Ipswich of a certain age should be regarding herself as a potential target.

6. Well i have continually heard to them refered to as "sex workers" today.
    I suppose "prostitute" or "sex worker" is still better than "drug addict" which is what they all were too.
    It doesnt get away from the fact that there is a very dangerous person in that area preying on a vunerable group of women.
    Lets hope the nutter is caught soon.

7. The common factor is that they are prostitutes and not housewives or checkout girls. The BBC et al have made no implication that these women are any "less" than you or I, they have merely stated facts.

I have no doubt that in and around Ipswich tonight, there are a lot of women who are prostitutes through lack of other options that are facing a choice of putting food on the table and a roof over their heads or possibly getting murdered.

I hope this ba*tard is caught very very soon.

8. No, I'm with Smallbore here, this fixation with their way of earning a living does not contextualise the narrative, rather it sensationalises on one hand and provides distance at the other. Prostitutes have been around since the beginning of time, as have serial killers who prey on them. I think that Smallbore is not saying ignore what they were, just acknowledge that they were human beings who someone is likely to be grieving over to-day.

There is a comparison to this, what was it now? Oh yes 'murdered innocent civilians' and 'dead soldiers', ring any bells?

Oh yes I do agree that it is the implication made by such reporting

9. Thank you. I was.

10. My pleasure

11. Ok with what you say but by identifying the group to which these women belong might ease the panic that mums/checkout girls et al could be feeling when out and about- and yes,
    It could also create a false sense of security -so it's a no win situation

12. I take the point but there can be too much of the human dimension in the reporting of such news. If the news was filled with such apparently necessary caveats as reflecting on the tragedy and 'thinking about the children' then we would have thicker newspapers and longer bulletins.

13. It's looking like at least 5 now...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/6168697.stm

14. Whilst I can accept the use of 'prostitutes' in the terms mentioned above, I think it should be borne in mind that we ourselves may be prejudicial. To me, prostitute describes a way of life and is not a term of condemnation or abuse. Those outside the world of sex-worker can never fully understand just why any one particular person has gone down that route. Even if someone describes a woman as a tart, it is up to me how I view that description.

15. It is the same when they refer to the perpetrator of a crime "...and ex soldier". You never hear of "...and retired dustman"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.