Police application process

My local plod are recruiting. Thinking of giving it a pop. Anybody here able to offer any insight into the process, experiences etc?

@Boumer @ACAB ..can't remember off top of my head who the other resident plod / ex plod are.

Cheers

My local plod are recruiting. Thinking of giving it a pop. Anybody here able to offer any insight into the process, experiences etc?

@Boumer @ACAB ..can't remember off top of my head who the other resident plod / ex plod are.

Cheers
Close your social media accounts, or at least secure them so no prying eyes can see them. @devexwarrior will be able to help you ref recent interviews. However, if you make it as far as the assessment centre, remember you are under scrutiny from the moment you can be seen until you have finished the day and out of sight.

Last edited:
Absolutely what @ashford_old_school says regarding social media. If you have to attend the selection centre then attend one of the training days run by these people. Money very well spent.

Talking Blues | Police recruitment courses | Police Assessment Courses

The maths assessment on the day is difficult but not impossible - not everyone in my group finished it. Your first hurdle will be the form. Match your experiences to the core competencies (search online).

Social Media.
Be very aware that they WILL search out FB & Twitter etc for you.
Gwent Police and South Wales Police "Allegedly" have a unit within the Standards dept that trawl social media looking for naughty comments made by Police officers and Staff.

There's been a few in Gwent have been caught out posting "Inappropriate" things on FB.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Cheers
It was a bloody long time ago when the likes of ACAB and myself who are now both retired joined.

You would be better off asking someone who is new in the job, preferably still a probationer. Get to know what they are looking for before you even pick up an application form, it could save you a lot of time and trouble.

looking into it now and rapidly coming to the conclusion that either they would not have me or I would not enjoy it.

Core competencies??!

When you have your first (of several) lectures from your version of professional standards in training they will hammer it into you that one of things people are getting sacked for most is social media. Not just Facebook/Twitter but WhatsApp is one of the biggest killing fields, as teams/training classes set up groups and immediately post something ill advised and is promptly reported by someone in the group.
Also if you up in an SNT your details and photo will end up on the website so it's worth hiding your profiles to avoid abuse/stalking from people unhappy you've arrested them.
The maths part of the Day 1 seems to be the hardest but for a lot of people, with the written but just be as concise as you can whilst making sure you hit the points. Keep the language simple as you're marked on spelling and grammar rather than vocabulary.
The other bit people get caught out on are the role plays. Not allowed to say too much but for the Met it was four chats with people where by you have to ask questions to get to the nub of their problem and then offer a solution that's realistic. Be sure to challenge any offensive language.

looking into it now and rapidly coming to the conclusion that either they would not have me or I would not enjoy it.

Core competencies??!
Same HR jargon **** for every public sector job these days. Essentially I've found the core ones to be ; the ability to think quickly on your feet, not to lose your temper, not to panic or freeze, be streetwise enough to have a rough idea of when it's about to kick off, being able to deal with lots of sitting/standing around and not want to swallow your tongue and finally being able to talk to people.

Social Media.
Be very aware that they WILL search out FB & Twitter etc for you.
Gwent Police and South Wales Police "Allegedly" have a unit within the Standards dept that trawl social media looking for naughty comments made by Police officers and Staff.

There's been a few in Gwent have been caught out posting "Inappropriate" things on FB.
Well, I am sure all companies have some responsibility for due diligence and preventing embarrassment.

Better PSD advice is given than jobs fall apart at court.

The lass who lives up by me who's a copper in Gwent has told Mrs OS of some of the things that the Standards department will grip coppers for, and the tolerances are very low. Even off duty and on FB etc , you are still bound by the Police rules and regs, you can be minding your own business out shopping and malicious complaints can be made against you by people you have arrested, you WILL be investigated to a stupid degree .

The latest one in these parts is for Homophobic or Racist allegations to be made against a copper while they are off duty. A lot of the Police around here are terrified of getting a complaint of this nature, and FB and other social media is being used by the scrotes to find where off duty coppers hang out, they go after them at kids football matches, or any other place where they can , having gleaned the info off FB or Twitter.

I wouldn't be a copper these days for love nor money, difficult job, made more difficult by being stabbed in the back by your own side. That's how it appears to me anyway, I can honestly say, out of the times I've had dealings with plod, I've only ever had 2 bad coppers.

Latest Threads