Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police apologise after telling wrong family teenage son died in crash

An apology seems appropriate in this case. It highlights the gritty end of policing and everyone makes mistakes, from the trivial to the earth shattering.
Getting an apology from police over something for which they are responsible is unusual and not to be confused with genuflection for historical events over which they could not possibly have had any control or even association.

I attended a serious RTC in Germany, squaddie had T-boned a car turning left on his motorbike, very serious head injuries, regimental details wrote in jacket and helmet tallied up with registered keeper on BFG database. Getting ready to inform the family when the registered keeper walks in to the military police station to report that his room mate had taken his bike without his permission.

I attended a serious RTC in Germany, squaddie had T-boned a car turning left on his motorbike, very serious head injuries, regimental details wrote in jacket and helmet tallied up with registered keeper on BFG database. Getting ready to inform the family when the registered keeper walks in to the military police station to report that his room mate had taken his bike without his permission.
Did you charge the room mate?

syrup

LE
Is it not one of the reasons that Op Minimise was brought in?
The closure of the internet suite and phones when casualties have been taken.
I remember a briefing where it was pointed out a wife turned up in panic because such and such had her husband on to tell her xxx had been badly wounded and she'd nipped round to tell the wife.
Turned out right name wrong platoon two guys with the same name.

On Granby we set off for Saudi and got diverted into Cyprus where they kept up and we started working there
A few days into it I rang home only to be asked where I was
My W.O had rang home asking my mother if I got in touch to tell me to ring them and let them know where aI was
They had no knowledge that we where off the plane and in a different location.

One lad returning went via Italy and Germany and they lost him completely his mother gave the W.O. a right earful when he rang to ask if anyone had heard from him as they'd lost him and he was "missing"

Take an informative, I can't give anyone a like for that kind of thing it does not seem appropriate, no disrespect intended.

For a bit of levity I will share my first sudden death as a probationer: We get the call at about 21.30hrs on a saturday night. We were on town centre, so on foot, we got the shout as the house was just off the town centre. We arrive and my walker knocks, introduces us and we get invited in by the lady of the house, she is around 70'ish. She asks if we would like a cuppa whilst we wait for the undertaker to arrive, we accept and she says we should go to the living room where her deceased husband is sat in his armchair. Match of the day was on and she is telling us it is his favourite thing on telly and that he was sat there to watch it. The undertaker arrives, match of the day is still on so she offers the undertakers lads a cuppa if they let her old man finish watching it before they take him away. No fuss, no bother, all matter of fact, but underneath it I bet she was devastated.
Take it there was a Police doctor or Gp or paramedics there to certify end of life I hope...don’t want this

But the above was paramedics talking to family GP on the blower (never came to see to pronounce) and phone call to local coroner / medical examiner who was satisfied with paramedics diagnosis and handed over responsibility to the family.

Says it all really...

Police have apologised to a family who were incorrectly told their son had died in a car crash.

Officers were called to a collision on the A90 near Crimond in Aberdeenshire at 7.30am on Monday 5 October, Police Scotland said.

One man was pronounced dead at the scene and another was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

But police were forced to apologise after they told the injured man's family he died in the crash by mistake.

The victim was finally identified as Dylan Irvine, 19, and the injured 18-year-old is still in hospital in a critical condition, the force said.

Chief Inspector Neil Lumsden said that officers were "faced with a confused scene" when trying to identify Mr Irvine and incorrect information was provided by a witness.

He said: "Once identified, the error was promptly corrected and the families of those involved were spoken to and were understanding of the circumstances.

View attachment 510319

"We have apologised to the families for any unintended upset and will review to identify any learning."

Mr Irvine's family described him as a "loving son, brother and grandson".

They said in a statement: "He was loved by all that had the pleasure of knowing him. He is sorely missed by all. He had an adventurous and outgoing soul and had the biggest heart."

They thanked the emergency services for "their efforts at the scene".

Sergeant Chris Smith, of the North Road policing unit, said that police are still investigating the cause of the crash.

He added: "I would again ask that anyone who has any information regarding the movements of the vehicle or the occupants, who hasn't already been spoken to by police, please contact us on 101, quoting incident number 0491 of Monday 5 October 2020."

Remember Ed Macy’s mission flying lead in pair of WAH-64D on a semi authorized mission to recover a Marine
425D3A02-4443-4F23-A96B-89C1C82148BB.jpeg

A833A357-5434-4549-A8BB-F2191B899B37.jpeg

2494AC72-5E6B-4BC9-B37A-E2BB02FFFC43.jpeg

with the 8 RM strapped (very very unconventional ) for personnel recovery (Then again the IDF/Af been doing it for years with their AH-1S Tefen with a downed F-4E crews hanging off the skids. and Italian Air Cav practised that on the AW-129 Mangustas and strapped down aircrew as far as back in the late 90s) on the aircraft. All for the rescue of said RM at Jugroom Fort and Sadly RM was DOA when they returned to Bastion.

Anyhow at RN Board of Inquiry one of the findings there were two Marines with same family name (unrelated) in the unit and the Sgt Major thought he/ they ok as one was uninsured during the withdrawal. But didn’t account for the fatally wounded one during the confusion.

Cheers

Take it there was a Police doctor or Gp or paramedics there to certify end of life I hope...don’t want this

There always is in the UK - in the US I have heard that in some places they let nurses call time of death. From what we were told of that incident: She was up in the tree after being ejected from the car upon impact. The paramedics had determined she was bleeding internally, and waited for the doc to arrive to see if she could possibly be moved and stabilised in any way at all. My mate was holding her hand and chatting to her for a good 10 to 15 minutes whilst she was dying. She knew she was on her way out and was giving my mate a list of things to do. That is what cut him up, you normally arrive at a fatal and it is all over, or people are in no fit state to chat, hold onto you and tell you what to say to their kids whilst they die.

He used to unload on us during the sunday ride break, his version of therapy.

I used to drink with a retired Chief Fire Officer with similar memories, he'd only talk about them when he'd had an off day and got plastered, all I can say is I'm glad I don't have those sort of memories other than from other people.

The blue light services do a job I could never do unless forced to by circumstances (squaddies too for that matter) and it annoys the hell out of me when I hear criticisms like the article in the OP. It's so easy for there to be accidental ID screwups and it's about impossible to avoid the odd one slipping through.

Our local fire chief used to make sure that all the new fire blokes saw a fire related death as soon as possible, he used to drag us in too. His logic was that dealing with it was part of the job, so get the puking out of the way sooner rather than later. He used to stride around domestic fires shouting, "check the cupboards", its where kids hide. He was actually an excellent bloke.

Sometimes death, is in my opinion, a far more preferable outcome than survival, in particular with brain or spinal trauma, which I would have a my own personal preference to survival.

Other side of the coin. Whilst in hospital I spotted this youngster in a wheelchair. His forehead had a very deep depression running almost the full width. On making enquires, I found out what had happened. Dad was pissed while driving over the Christmas period. Crash, boy in front passenger seat through the windscreen as no seat belts back then. Surgeons say he won't survive the day, then the weekend, extended to the week. After that it's, he will survive but only as a vegetable. At the end of the day, well many days, all that he needed was to wear specs for the rest of his life. The doctors were quite happy to be proved wrong, nothing wrong with their diagnostic skills, just a very lucky lad.

I see where you're coming from, but...when it's someone you love it can be a hard call to make.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Other side of the coin. Whilst in hospital I spotted this youngster in a wheelchair. His forehead had a very deep depression running almost the full width. On making enquires, I found out what had happened. Dad was pissed while driving over the Christmas period. Crash, boy in front passenger seat through the windscreen as no seat belts back then. Surgeons say he won't survive the day, then the weekend, extended to the week. After that it's, he will survive but only as a vegetable. At the end of the day, well many days, all that he needed was to wear specs for the rest of his life. The doctors were quite happy to be proved wrong, nothing wrong with their diagnostic skills, just a very lucky lad.

I see where you're coming from, but...when it's someone you love it can be a hard call to make.
I hope and pray someone will make the call for me if I have severe brain and or spinal trauma and that includes a major stroke, I don't want to wake up.