Police and the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Monaro, Jan 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently in the TA (Pte) and have just applied to join the police force. Could any police officers who are also in the TA tell me if it's easy to juggle both jobs?

I know tha policing involves a lot of shift work and I'm worried I might have to leave because I can't make the commitment :(
  2. Everyone from where I come seems to be police, so TA and police seem to go together
  3. May be a bit specific but does the "Conflict of Interest" arguement still stand between the Police and the security forces within NI.
  4. Well he's in Kent I don't think it will affect him
  5. Kent Police have a policy of allowing a certain percentage of Bobbies to serve within the TA - there is a form that you can get from yer Clerkies to hand to your employers (albeit if you get accepted) requesting their permission for you also to serve in the TA. Knew a Kent Bobby serve in TA he had no problems at just scrapping in time for bounty qualification.

Hope that helps a little
  6. Check out my previous posts regarding police leave etc - theres some good home office guidlines which could get you an extra 19days paid leave from the old bill.

Hope you're going in a Home office force and not the Muppets I work for. Ive done this to death but my advice to anyone: JOIN THE REAL POLICE.

When I was in the Met the rule was you cant be TA during your probation, then you have to apply to go on a list as they can only have a certain percentage in the reserves. took me 2 years to get on that list (+ 2 years probation) so if the rules are the same in your force you may have to leave the TA for up to 4 years!!

With Employer notifictaion you cant even keep quiet anymore!!

Good Luck
  7. Helped a lot in our unit. We have / had 2 plod on the books and it was great for them to cast an eye over potential recruit forms. The number that 'forgot' to put down their convictions for drugs etc, was unreal. Saved a lot of time on un-necessary paperwork and kit issues. Helped foster good relations with 'Mr Big@ Plod, or whatever he is called.
  8. I suppose it's the same in the UK TA as it is in the Australian Army Reserve?

In my day I recall that in many MP Reserve Units, most of the members were Civvie Coppers/Prison Officers/Customs Officers/Bailiffs/Debt Collectors and so on.

It was interesting to note that is some cases the Constable of Police was a Captain and the Corporal was a Sergeant of Police.

Australian Police Force members get between 7 to 9 weeks Annual Leave and as members of the Defence Force Reserves they are entitled to an extra 2 weeks Military Leave with full pay and so it's not a bad little lurk as a part-timer; especially as Air Force Reserve, which is mostly relief manning with virtually no bush bashing and never having to wear the suit camouflage with boots matching.
  9. Hi Monaro,

When i was thinking about joining Bedfordshire Police Force, the contact there said that i would have to choose either the TA or the Police.
    Best bet is to go on the Kent police website and send an email asking there policy on it.

Cheers Bart

Im off to the sandpit on the 23rd Jan!
  10. Standard policy is that you cannot be in the TA for the 2 years you are a probationary PC. You will have to leave and then re-join after gaining permission from kent police.
  11. Oh dear... the PSAO won't be happy (I'm already on leave getting my college work completed) :lol:

Oh well, 2 years isn't so bad. Somebody else told me that the Chief Con himself would be the one approving reservist duties 8O Seems like a nice fella so hopefully I shouldn't have any problems after probation :D

Thanks everyone :wink:
  12. Whilst we're on the subject of public services, whats the score with the Fire Brigade? are they TA friendly?
  13. Captain and another chap in my unit are both firemen. Doesn't seem to be a problem for them, assuming that they aren't "On call" or whatever the terminology is for the fire service
  14. Two of mine have been "Teliced", no problems, OK feedback but another long stint would not be good for them.
  15. I found myself a new posting in the CIVPOL. A job I'd fancied for ages.

I was also thinking of re-joining the TA with a view to going on to do some civil affairs type stuff. As I'm in my late thirties I thought I'd bring my work experience along rather than my warry athleticism.

Anyway, my new boss made it quite clear that although I am entitled to join the reserve forces it would be incompatible with my new job. He just couldn't afford to lose me for six months. So I stayed put, I can see it his way as it's only a small team.

So check with the unit/ division/ borough you are working on. It might be easier for people on uniformed response teams and so on.