Poles in the British Army

Hi guys,

I’m in the process of joining the army as an infantryman, which for me includes gaining British citizenship.
I’ve been in the country since I was 6, which now adds up to 15 years.

I was wondering if as a Pole I’d be welcome into the British Army? If I’m honest I feel more British than Polish at this point, considering the time I’ve spent in the country.

Also, do you know of any Poles currently in the army?

Looking forward to your replies

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi guys,

I’m in the process of joining the army as an infantryman, which for me includes gaining British citizenship.

I was wondering if as a Pole I’d be welcome into the British Army? If I’m honest I feel more British than Polish at this point, considering the time I’ve spent in the country.

There used to be a running joke in the 17/21st Lancers along the lines of "fetch me poles for the flags" followed by a list of Polish or Russian names.

One of the squadrons in 7 Regiment RLC used to have a Polish eagle as its badge in recognition of the long service of the MSOs who used to drive tank transporters. These were mainly Polish refugees who settled in the UK and Germany after WW2 via service in the Polish Corps and Polish armoured Division.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Back in the early 80s I had a Polish section commander (another A-Z) and my Troop MT Sgt was a White Russian (as a nationality, not a drink).

7 Regiment RLC still use red/white regimental colours and wear the Polish Eagle in silver on Mess kit.

Best of luck

Yes. He even has a pronounceable name!

And there's plenty of history too:
IMG-20210414-WA0013.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

There was a Pole in my unit in 2019 (Who also had British citizenship). I thought odd that he could speak Russian and well as Polish but his job was a supplier.
He didnt seem to have any problems and fitted in well. Bearing in mind the RLC has a over 10% on none British born soldiers, he's unlikely to stand out.

Hi guys,

Good for you and yes you will be very welcome, plenty of Poles currently serve

Hi guys,

We have a high regard for the Poles. You lunatics charged Panzers, on horseback, gave us Enigma and 303 Squadron RAF, mostly Polish, fought very, very well.

We have a high regard for the Poles. You lunatics charged Panzers, on horseback, gave us Enigma and 303 Squadron RAF, mostly Polish, fought very, very well.

And you saved Europe at the gates of Vienna

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
You’ll be very welcome, and if you’re bi-lingual that will open doors for you too.

There was a Pole in my unit in 2019 (Who also had British citizenship). I thought odd that he could speak Russian and well as Polish but his job was a supplier.
Worked with a lot of East Germans as well as Poles etc - Pretty much everyone East of the IGB** who was at school when the wall came down and I dare say for a few years after learnt Russian (Compulsary) . It seems to have been the Language imposed upon the WarPac states

**Yes ok except West Berlin

Maid of Warsaw

1619016558052.png

1619016275422.png

Still worn today proudly today, as displayed by the late Colonel-in-Chief.
Also used by 651Sqn AAC

1619016485572.png

I still have mine somewhere

Latest Threads