Polar Graph - compass heading

Can any ARRSEr suggest a method by which commas headings can be represented graphically?
The best looking graph I've found is this one
polar_plot_compass_labels.png

This is from a graphical software product website which looks ideal but also is likely to be prohibitively expensive. Can anyone suggest if this can be replicated in Excel or Numbers (Mac)?

The youngest Devxette is crunching numbers on whale shark dives for her MRes.

Can any ARRSEr suggest a method by which commas headings can be represented graphically?
View attachment 564487
This is from a graphical software product website which looks ideal but also is likely to be prohibitively expensive. Can anyone suggest if this can be replicated in Excel or Numbers (Mac)?

What is the resolution in here data? How "wide" in degrees is a category?

What is the resolution in here data? How "wide" in degrees is a category?
This is still to be determined. There is a lot of data - I suggested a 5 degree category might be representative. I've found a couple of free tools that might help. Her real problem is that while there is lots of data for whale shark dives, no one has done a great deal with it before - hence it being suitable for masters level research.

If there are less than 200 points per graph then by degree is ok. If we are dealing with thousands of points some rounding will be required.

View attachment 564487

Google Earth?

I think your best bet is a radar graph via excel

She’ll have to work out how to organise the data suitably. There’s loads of tutorials on the web for that sort of stuff.

Polar plot?

@Ayatollah - no it isn’t. Yes, 6400 is more than 360, but if you take decimal degrees to 2 decimal places, it’s finer granulation than mils. Of course you could do the same with mils. What really matters is the resolution to which you describe your data. After all, there are only 6 and a bit radians in a circle, but you can (and must in Excel) solve any problem that can be done in degrees, in radians. Or mils. Or gradians.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Easy enough to use a radar graph or spider chart in Excel.

These are both pre-built in graph types. I use them for displaying wind rose data.

Latest Threads