Polanski - Why the fuss?

#1
Roman Polanski has been arrested in Zurich

BBC Link

What I cannot understand is why there is all the controversy over Roman Polanski's arrest.

He is a convicted peadophile who fled from justice before being sentenced and is now trying to use his family as an excuse not to be extradited.

He should be immediatley flown back to the USA to face all the charges under the same conditions as any other sex offender and be given the same treatment

Eddited because I have fat fingers and can't type :oops:
 
#2
Talk about coincidence but ROMAN Polanski has been arrested too. Same place same offence, how wierd is that?
 
#3
cursedveggie said:
He should be immediatley flown back to the USA to face all the charges under the same conditions as any other sex offender and be given the same treatment
Probably; I don't know the details.

He survived the Krakow ghetto; the "Walk, don't run" instruction in 'The Pianist' was advice originally given to Polanski. His mother died in a concentration camp. His pregnant wife was horribly murdered by Charles Manson in 1967. Read his Wikipedia page.

One would be surprosed if he wasn't a little mentally unstable.
 
#5
Schleswig-Holstein said:
Especially when you read this (court transcript).

Warning, graphic nature, hence link is NSFW.
If you think that's graphic wait till you read what's going to happen to Polanski's bum in jail :twisted:
 

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
#6
Whats the fuss? Maybe because 30 odd years ago he was considered a pedo? And under today's New Labour purge of anyone going nowhere near children he would probably be labelled something worse than Harold Shipman. If he was living here of course.
 
#8
At 76 years old it will be interesting just what the justice department do next.

After 31 years it just shows you, no one can escape the long arm of the law.
 
#9
#10
While I can understand why his victim wants this whole thing to come to an end (not least because she gets assailed by the media every time some development occurs), isn't the problem that Polanski made a plea bargain and did a runner before he could be sentenced?

If that's the case, then the US authorities are still going to want to stick him in front of a court so that the second part of the plea bargaining process - sentence - can be carried out.
 
#11
Crime is a lot more than perpetrator + victim. Simply put, Polanski owes time!

Compare this with the number of poor sods doing >2o years in seppo prisons for doing a lot less.

Burn him I say!
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#13
Archimedes said:
... isn't the problem that Polanski made a plea bargain and did a runner before he could be sentenced?
I think that's right. My understanding is that Polanski's legal team got word that the judge - who had political ambitions - was going to renege on the plea bargain.

But it's still very difficult to sympathise with someone who forcibly sodomises a 13 year old.
 
#14
cpunk said:
Archimedes said:
... isn't the problem that Polanski made a plea bargain and did a runner before he could be sentenced?
I think that's right. My understanding is that Polanski's legal team got word that the judge - who had political ambitions - was going to renege on the plea bargain.

But it's still very difficult to sympathise with someone who forcibly sodomises a 13 year old.
My bold - Having plied her with alcohol first :evil: Talented he may be, but it's not a get out of jail card. It's never too late to face the consequences of such an act. Apparently the lady is now 40 years old and would prefer the matter to be left, however the American police feel that this was not a one off circumstance with under age girls.
 
#16
I really can not get my head around all this. The friend who was supposed to pick him up at the airport done an interview for BBC, on it he said (loosely quoted) "it is a disgrace he is being arrested for a little mistake that is ancient history".

A little mistake? He plied a girl with alcohol and the sedative Quaalude, thats rape. He even asked her if she was on the pill and then done her anally when she said no, thats concious thought on his part. He knew what he was doing so should face the consequences.

As for it being ancient history, well if we are talking about shelf life then maybe we should forget the Jersey child abuse case? The victim said she would go before the judge and ask for the case to be dismissed as she forgives him, is she saying that as she doesnt want to face court and relive it? Understandable, but surely the trial can go ahead without her using the original evidence/statements?

Ok and he had a rough time of things back then as Fally said, surviving the ghettos and his wives murder. But is that along with now having a raised a family reason enough to let him go? People have been put in prison just a lot less.
 

Alsacien

MIA
Moderator
#17
I read it the same, no mitigating circumstance, deliberate act.
I understand this was at a party at Jack Nicholsons house? If so what was a 13 year old girl doing in the hot tub? Is there something more to this perhaps?
 
#18
Alsacien said:
I read it the same, no mitigating circumstance, deliberate act.
I understand this was at a party at Jack Nicholsons house? If so what was a 13 year old girl doing in the hot tub? Is there something more to this perhaps?

It's always been one of Hollyweirds grubby little open secrets that the best way for prospective 'child stars' to make it was to accept the sexual advances of the rich and powerful Directors. The parents who dreamed of joining the glittering Hollywood Fame Train were always willing co-conspirators in this. If you rad the court transcripts, the 13 year old was not a virgin.
 
#19
tiger stacker said:
At 76 years old it will be interesting just what the justice department do next.

After 31 years it just shows you, no one can escape the long arm of the law.
The likes of Blair and Bush had better watch out then come 2031! Polanski should have come to UK, claimed refugee status and joined the Labour party to guarantee never having to face criminal prosecution for all his previous misdemeanours.
 
#20
Oil_Slick said:
Alsacien said:
I read it the same, no mitigating circumstance, deliberate act.
I understand this was at a party at Jack Nicholsons house? If so what was a 13 year old girl doing in the hot tub? Is there something more to this perhaps?

It's always been one of Hollyweirds grubby little open secrets that the best way for prospective 'child stars' to make it was to accept the sexual advances of the rich and powerful Directors. The parents who dreamed of joining the glittering Hollywood Fame Train were always willing co-conspirators in this. If you rad the court transcripts, the 13 year old was not a virgin.
Thats ok then is it she can get drugged and bummed 'cos she wasnt a virgin?

That mean we can have our way with you then?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads