Poland Approves US ABM Base

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, Aug 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Missiles will be placed in Poland in Redzikowo and a permanent US base with 110 US Soldiers will be stationed. US gave a declaration for commintment regarding defence of Polish territory if attacked. PAC-3 System will be also stationed in Poland, with first battalion manned by US Army soldiers (96 missiles). More details will follow. FM Lavrov canceled his trip to Poland in September. New F-16's for the Polish AF to boot.

http://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/Wiadomos...ozumienie.html

http://www.tvn24.pl/-1,1561246,0,1,p...wiadomosc.html

2. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Cold war retro re - escalation and return to arms racing ftw :D

3. A slap in the face to Russia? Who'd have thought it.

4. Damn my timing suck. Now I'll miss out on those great postings to Europe. :x

5. Star Wars AND a Russian invasion all in one week!

Did I wake up in 1983 this morning?

6. There's timing and then there's timing. Could they not have waited a week or two - not that it matters much now I suppose.

7. Stratfor predicted exactly this a few days ago. The Poles were negotiating hard, either wanting a greater US commitment to them or at least spinning things out until the next US president was in place. The Georgia thing kicked off and suddenly the Poles sacked their cheif negotiator and decided they couldn't sign the ABM deal fast enough!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7561926.stm

You can expect Uncle Sam to be offered a lot of bases in Russia's periphery in the next few months...

8. Welcome to the new Cold war, you heard it first on Arrse

9. This is the right message to send to Russia at the moment and it will serve to calm some of the fears of other Baltic and former Eastern Block states who are wondering how exposed they are in terms of support from US and rest of Europe.

To those who think this action is an escalation - that has been going on since Putin came to power. Let us not be soft or mince words, Russia have shown how they wish to conduct themselves with their neighbours and we should respond accordingly or we encourage further trouble by sending the wrong message.

10. Incredible, it's like no one acknowledges just who kicked it off in South Ossetia.

The more things happen like this on the periphery, the more the whole mess starts to shape itself into a cogent plan.

Just who swallowed the bait here? Georgia? or Russia?

11. It may bring some stability to Europe y'know. The cold war wasn't all bad (except for Africa perhaps).

12. If you're in the UK, that would be one year too early. :cyclopsani:

I'm with FARMBOY here: tough words from the US cut no ice in Moscow unless they're backed up with decisive action. Putin's bluff has to be called if he isn't actually going to believe he's the new Stalin. The man's a cnut of the first water.

13. I wonder were Poland gets most of its natural gas from? I forsee a few "problems" with the pipeline coming out of Russia soon.

If the US does start putting small bases around the former Soviet block nations, Russia will just feel like its being cornered. Ever seen a cornered bear? Its not pretty.

14. I saw one with its head stuck in a jar on the news recently:

[​IMG]