Poland Approves US ABM Base

Missiles will be placed in Poland in Redzikowo and a permanent US base with 110 US Soldiers will be stationed. US gave a declaration for commintment regarding defence of Polish territory if attacked. PAC-3 System will be also stationed in Poland, with first battalion manned by US Army soldiers (96 missiles). More details will follow. FM Lavrov canceled his trip to Poland in September. New F-16's for the Polish AF to boot.

http://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/Wiadomos...ozumienie.html

http://www.tvn24.pl/-1,1561246,0,1,p...wiadomosc.html

Damn my timing suck. Now I'll miss out on those great postings to Europe. :x

There's timing and then there's timing. Could they not have waited a week or two - not that it matters much now I suppose.

Stratfor predicted exactly this a few days ago. The Poles were negotiating hard, either wanting a greater US commitment to them or at least spinning things out until the next US president was in place. The Georgia thing kicked off and suddenly the Poles sacked their cheif negotiator and decided they couldn't sign the ABM deal fast enough!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7561926.stm

You can expect Uncle Sam to be offered a lot of bases in Russia's periphery in the next few months...

This is the right message to send to Russia at the moment and it will serve to calm some of the fears of other Baltic and former Eastern Block states who are wondering how exposed they are in terms of support from US and rest of Europe.

To those who think this action is an escalation - that has been going on since Putin came to power. Let us not be soft or mince words, Russia have shown how they wish to conduct themselves with their neighbours and we should respond accordingly or we encourage further trouble by sending the wrong message.

Incredible, it's like no one acknowledges just who kicked it off in South Ossetia.

The more things happen like this on the periphery, the more the whole mess starts to shape itself into a cogent plan.

Just who swallowed the bait here? Georgia? or Russia?

polar69 said:
Welcome to the new Cold war, you heard it first on Arrse
It may bring some stability to Europe y'know. The cold war wasn't all bad (except for Africa perhaps).

fozzy said:
Did I wake up in 1983 this morning?
If you're in the UK, that would be one year too early. :cyclopsani:

I'm with FARMBOY here: tough words from the US cut no ice in Moscow unless they're backed up with decisive action. Putin's bluff has to be called if he isn't actually going to believe he's the new Stalin. The man's a cnut of the first water.

I wonder were Poland gets most of its natural gas from? I forsee a few "problems" with the pipeline coming out of Russia soon.

If the US does start putting small bases around the former Soviet block nations, Russia will just feel like its being cornered. Ever seen a cornered bear? Its not pretty.

Patton was right.... all I have to say. The US should have taken Russia out during WWII when it had the chance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ns-nuclear-strike-Poland-US-missile-deal.html

Russia reacted furiously today to an announcement that Poland is to host an American global anti-missile shield.

General Anatoly Nogovitsyn said that by accepting the missile defence battery Poland "is exposing itself to a strike".

"By hosting these, Poland is making itself a target. This is 100 percent certain," Russia's Interfax news agency quoted General Anatoly Nogovitsyn as saying.

"It becomes a target for attack. Such targets are destroyed as a first priority."

The general's hawkish comments came amid Moscow's fears the missile shield makes Russia a target of the United States.

The two former Cold War superpowers are locking horns over fighting in Georgia.

Today American President George Bush warned Russia that it does not want "contentious relations" with the United States, demanding Moscow leave Georgia.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev responded cautiously, saying Moscow would strike back "in the same way we have responded" if it were further attacked.

Referring to the missile shield, General Nogovitsyn said that Russia's military doctrine sanctions the use of nuclear weapons "against the allies of countries having nuclear weapons if they in some way help them," Interfax said.

tomahawk6 said:
Interesting article entitled Bear Trap which posits the idea that Washington and London set a trap for the Russians. I think the writer gives too much credit to Washington/London.

http://www.thehindu.com/2008/08/11/stories/2008081155580800.htm
From your link...
Tbilisi also switched tack to rhetoric. The U.S.-educated Georgian president Mikhail Saakashvili said, “This is not about Georgia anymore. It is about America, its values.” Faraway in Beijing, U.S. President George W. Bush promptly agreed.
How very sad. A great nation like the USA now being goaded into foreign policy decisions by an irrational and cavalier Georgian president.

Let's just remember who ordered an artillery barrage against a civilian population centre in the first place. Are these the 'values' the US respects?

You dont like the Georgian President you have made that plain. In my life I have seen the Russians suppress pro-democracy governments in eastern europe and invade Afghanistan. Their operations in Chechnya were brutal and successful.The Russians have never been shy about pursuing Russian self interest.