points on driving licence

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by wil5924, Oct 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello everybody.I was just wondering whether anybody could help me.I am interested in joining the army but unfortunatly i was stupid enough to get caught driving with no insurance( TWICE). both times it was dealt with on the spot fines and my vehicle getting ceased.I now have 14 points on my licence but i have not been banned and can still legally drive now that i have insurance.Does anybody know whether you can join the army with points on your licence.And if so what job roles are available to me.Thanks for your help.
  2. You can join the army even if you don't know how to drive! But if you're going for a driving job within the forces, better to ask your recruiter.
  3. thanks for your help
  4. You can still definately join the Army as BrokenArrow said but some jobs may possibly not be open to you, go and ask the recruiting office and they'll give you the exact answer, good luck.
  5. A little confused & will stand corrected by someone in the know, but I thought if you built up 12 or more penalty points within a period of three years you were automatically disqualified under the totting-up system.
  6. :D usually that is the case.But new legislation brought in gives police the power to issue on the spot fines and endorse your licence with penalty points for no insurance between 6-8 points.In most cases if you have e.g 8 points on your licence and you get stopped again for no insurance the police should notice that you will be over 12 points if they were to issue an on the spot fine and points with out going to court.Usually you would be summoned to court and then banned by the judge for totting up.Fortunatly in my case the police have failed to notice that giving me on the spot fine would take me over the 12 point threshhold.therefore my licence has been returnned to me by dvla with 14 points on it. :D happy days
  7. What job are you after doing?
  8. either pioneer or infantry.Just a bit concerned about my age as i am 31 years old.And don't know whether they would discharge me from the army and infantry after 5 years as i would be 36-37 years old.Especially with all the other young 20 year old lads.Probably hard to get promotion as well
  9. Hmmm tough one that, why don't you go for a trade and then you can get attached to any unit including Inf?

Edited for mong spelling.