points on driving licence and cat c training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by roverkill, Jul 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In my squadron we are short of cat c trained drivers. I went and had a chat with our PSI and said i was interested but pointed out i had 6 points on my driving license. No problem. I got the forms had a medical got my provisional entitlements added and then i spent £32 on a theory test which i passed and i was then given a start date at grantham now its cancelled as i have points on my license.
    Does anybody know how many points you can have on your license before you can start training? mine are SP30s and expire in March 2009 and september 2009 although ive been told they remain on your licence for a year after? My theory test is only valid for two years.
    I tried searching for a similar post but couldnt find one so any answers or advice would be gratefully recieved. Before you suggest it my PSI is on holiday so i cant ask him.
  2. msr

msr LE

[quote="roverkill]"I tried searching for a similar post but couldnt find one so any answers or advice would be gratefully recieved. [/quote]

3. As far as i am aware the points on the licence will expire on the date specified but some insurers are sneaky little barstewards and count them for 5 years instead of 4. As for the amount for training im sorry cant help you out there.
  4. Thanks but what i was really looking for was advice on what the armys policy is on driver training and points. My squadron also want D1 (minibus) qualified drivers and H (tracked).
  5. How old are you?

Edited to add, duration of points shown here.
  6. Ive had my licence 9 years if that is what you mean.
  7. Why did you pay for your theory test??????

I did my Cat C earlier this year and my theory test December last year, I didn't lay out a penny?????
  8. I was waiting for a date to do the theory at Chilwell but apparently they have been having problems with their computers. I was told to just do it as they needed drivers so I did looks like £32 down the pan I cant afford or justify paying to do the course my self.
  9. The Army will not give you driving lessons if you have 6 points or over. So book your course for April and don't get anymore points.

10. Why did you also have to take another medical?, you shouln't need a D4 form being TA.
  11. I didn't have a medical :D
  12. depending in which Div, Bde you are in, pass three or five mock theory teststhey must be recorded either by a print out or on a chart (your SPSI can get them from your Local DELTA),
    You can then book a theory test through your Delta and also book you driving course either by Contract Driver Training or to Grantham (49 BDE) or even up to DST Leconfield ,All this costs you nothing,but as in everything these days you will be expected to "repay"by being available for driving duties at short/no/daft o'clock notice. Same procedures for Mininbus licences.
    Hope this is of some help.
    max points should be 3 or better still none

13. Should i be driving at all with 6 points on my license? Im suppose to be driving to camp looks like a perfect excuse to get out of it.