• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Point Man changes

Hello,

I am writing a feature for a magazine and require some assistance. I have to highlight the changes and differences in the role of a Point Man from 2007 to present day. Cany anyone help with any information or can direct in the right direction?

Thanks for your time.

For example, I know in recent years a metal detector is used where as before a Point Man would walk with just his gun to find any mines. Even small things like this would help.

Not entirely sure how much information you're expecting to get from this website on the current tactical procedures of the military given that those procedures are currently being used operationally.

They're designed to save lives so shouldn't be discussed openly.

You will, however, discover another notably aspect at which the British Army excels. I've got some popcorn in.

For example, I know in recent years a metal detector is used where as before a Point Man would walk with just his gun to find any mines. Even small things like this would help.
Wow, with such an encyclopedic understanding of British Military doctrine why ask any questions at all. You should be at RMAS rewriting the manuals.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The current SOP's for Point Man in a Section Patrol are as follows:

Kit carried:

Rifle
Ammunition
Fresh underpants
Tourniquet's already applied to appendages waiting to be pulled tight once said limb drops off
Metal detector that wasn't tested before being taken out and so doesn't work

The drills are fairly straightforward:

Walk forward with eyes closed praying to all the Gods
Get a return on the detector and stop to have a look
Reach that point of no longer caring, and stamp on the area giving a return to see if it blows up or not

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well so far everyone has been as useful as a sack of spuds. Just wanted basic information that non-army people wouldnt have known
Here's a paragraph that can sum up your entire article:

Whilst the role of the Point Man in a Section patrol has evolved over the years between 2007 and 2013, due to security issues, information on the past and present roles are not suitable for public domain consumption.

Thanks for reading.

The end.

Latest Threads