• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Poignant anniversary

I thought a lieutenant in the 44th survived to be ransomed after he wrapped the Queen's Colour round his waist for safety and the Afgans thought he was rich due to his very flash 'waistcoat'.

But there were also survivours from the native regiments IIRC.

Vimeiro said:
I thought a lieutenant in the 44th survived to be ransomed after he wrapped the Queen's Colour round his waist for safety and the Afgans thought he was rich due to his very flash 'waistcoat'.

Don't know about the lieutenant, but a few groups of Indian troops straggled in after Brydon and, though technically not part of the main retreat, a few Brits who had been held hostage with the ill-fated McNaghten were released and had to walk out via the same route about a month later. One of them was a Napier, IIRC.

But we shouldn't let facts get in the way of a good painting, eh.

stickybomb said:
Vimeiro said:

Don't know about the lieutenant, but a few groups of Indian troops straggled in after Brydon and, though technically not part of the main retreat, a few Brits who had been held hostage with the ill-fated McNaghten were released and had to walk out via the same route about a month later. One of them was a Napier, IIRC.

So the fact is that he stood outside the gates for a month so that they could all go in together or did the painting just depict the moment when he was at the gates?

But we shouldn't let logic get in the way of a good slagging, eh. ;)

Markintime said:
stickybomb said:
Vimeiro said:

So the fact is that he stood outside the gates for a month so that they could all go in together or did the painting just depict the moment when he was at the gates?

But we shouldn't let logic get in the way of a good slagging, eh. ;)
Bitch! :D

Vimeiro said:

Lt. Souter of the 44th Foot. A few Sepoys filtered into Jellalabad, but they tended to be illiterate peasant lads and their stories don't seem to have been written down. It would have made quite a tale, I'll bet.

smartascarrots said:
Vimeiro said:

Lt. Souter of the 44th Foot. A few Sepoys filtered into Jellalabad, but they tended to be illiterate peasant lads and their stories don't seem to have been written down. It would have made quite a tale, I'll bet.

Attachments

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
IIRC, most of the British hostages (women and children, including the fearsome Lady Sale) were also released the following year.

BTW, Sir Harry did not fight with the 44th at Gandamak, but did witness them being overwhelmed.

Vimeiro said:

Yes but they weren't British and therefore of trivial importance. Just like when an airliner goes down "but there were no British passengers".

God bless the King-Emperor!

Oy you stop p1ssing about with a bugle and get that water up here, imshi jao!

Latest Threads