Poetic Justice or what?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tuffy52, Jan 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well not so much a clamper:

"Police said the man, who is believed to work for a debt collection company, called at her home on Lightbowne Road and served a notice through her letterbox."

Debt recovery rather than parking monitor.

2. Something doesn't add up with that story as clamping became illegal in England and Wales on 01/10/12 for private companies. If he was working for "debt collectors" who have no powers whatsoever he deserved all he got.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Only the police have the power to force a motorist to stop, if he was daft enough to stand in front of a car that was coming towards him.....well, 'nuff said.

4. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

He tried to clamp someone in MOSTON? Darwin award candidate, surely?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moston you say?

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Not sure about that...unless its a strange Scottish law quirk...but during our local Easter Egg run with the bike club, we have a Police outrider who briefs the stewards. Part of that briefing involves the stewards being able to stop cars at roundabouts and side junctions. The Police outrider takes care of traffic lights, handing over to a steward once the cars have stopped.

I think the wording used is that a Police officer or a person authorised by a police office, may stop traffic if deemed necessary.

Could it be possible that this person is authorised under the terms of his employment?

7. No - if he was he would be a Bailif not a debt collector.

8. Repo man? Do they have those in the UK now?

9. They always have had Baillifs in England and Sheriff's Officers and Mesengers at Arms in Scotland, but a debt collector is not one of them and has about as much power as you or I to impound someones property.

10. They also have High Court Sheriff's in England too serving High Court writ's.

This is quite an interesting series;

BBC iPlayer - The Sheriffs Are Coming: Series 2: Episode 9

11. Ah the Gardeners arms was where my 80yo grandfather was barred from for headbutting the land lord. Moved down to the Bluebell for a decent pint of HOLTS.

Happy days.