Podgy to Para??

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Rtheman, Jul 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

Im 22 years old. Bit Fat...alright 16st, really fat, 5'11, big built, massively unhealthy and since 17 when i nearly broke me playing rugby i haven't done any exercise.
    Your looking at someone who goes up 4 flights of stairs and is bollocksed by the end of it.

I wanna join the Paras, i've been in and done my Barb Test, got 77? dunno if thats good or not, was attempted to be persuaded out of it but have made up my mind and its either paras or rifles for me.

I've managed to find a PTI who is either from P company or trained with P company as he has wings who's willing to basically do a 1on1 session with me 3-4 times a week and go over fitness, lifestyle and nutritional changes to get me into the shape i'd need to be to pass, i am mentally tough and i really bloody want it so i know i'll do it regardless.

Just wondering if anyone on here can shed some light on how long they think it could take me to get there? Considering i've now quit drinking and smoking in order to aid the change.

Cheers gents let me know
  2. There are stickies use them, tell your friends to use them too. There is also a health and fitness forum.
  3. If you’re dedicated to lose the weight and become fit, it should take you about 3 years.
    As for the person who has wings, that doesn’t mean to say he did P Coy.
  4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

It's doable but will take a lot of determination - basically you need to start running, every day which will feel like you're about to die btw - start off doing a 500m jog for a week adding 500m every week till you get to 10k a day.
  5. WatchingWater

WatchingWater Old-Salt Book Reviewer

3 years is bit too long don't you think? If he's really dtermined, he'll lose alot of fat in the first year (it falls off fast)! I say between 18 and 24 months..
  6. The best recruitment poster i have ever seen was (and it pains me to say) by the Royal Marines. It said to be a Marine you have to be fit - Mentally! Applies equally to the Para's.
    When I did P Company (alot of years ago) fitter men than me dropped out. The difference between them and me IMHO was that they didn't want the beret baddly enough.
    Get as fit as you can and tough it out!
    Good luck.
  7. 5 months I'd say. The Parachute Regiment aptitude course is quite hard to pass on the fitness side of things. Many more fail than pass.
  8. Anything is possible... or so you will learn if you ever make it to the end of the stretcher race (shudder).

The lads who did the best were always the fittest. The fittest = 10 miles in 1 hr 45mins with 45 lbs on and a rifle... plus doing well at alot of other things more horrible.

Unlike when I were't lad, all the times and weights are well known and there are a stack of youtube clips that you can have a look at to see what is required on the mountains, in the mud bogs, in the gym etc etc. If you can never seriously see yourself getting to that level, then jack it in right now, honestly, and take up Olympic knitting or something.

What will it take? From 2-6 hours a day of serious fizz for a few months at least, then make a decision from there. 3 to 4 times a week? Bob Hope/Envelope/No Hope.
  9. To start off with, try doubling past Greggs, McDonalds, KFC and BK. After that, if you really are cut out for such a life, it should come. Good luck if your gen. Choke on a pasty if ure not :)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I wouldn't worry about things too much, the paras I see most days wouldn't have a hope of passing P-Coy again ;-)
  11. Although - be careful with your knees if you're road running at that weight - if you damage them, they'll take a long time to heal enough to train again. I used a walk to run programme that the US Army sends out to recruits before they attend basic training - its a 12 week programme that builds you up to decent running from nothing, as well as building core and upper body strength. Its a PDF called the "Pocket PT Guide" (link here) and It should stop you getting injuries in the early days, which is something you will be vulnerable to if you've done nowt for ages.
    [edit] Found a high res version with clearer piccys here
  12. Yea i'd heard about the old damage to the knees thing, i've been on a few runs before and they haven't hurt before though? i've got my first 1 on 1 with the PTI on tuesday to do a fitness assessment for a couple of hours then make a plan from there, im hoping if i keep this updated in a different section it might serve as help for anyone else in my same sort of situation? Fat with hopes like
  13. Rtheman: Keep training mate, be the best!
  14. Reading this just gave me the motivation I needed to go and get my arrse on the treadmill. I pretty much feel in the same situation I want to go into the 7PARA regt RHA or 29 cdo RA or 39 Regt RA and I defiantly feel my fitness is no where near good.

Need to lose at least 1 and a half stone before doing the medical to be in the required health zone. so I got a lot to do, my only problem is that my left calf muscle starts to really hurt after about 1 mile of running, I know if it didn’t I could do the 1.5 run in a goodish time but my leg lets me down. Personally I reckon it’s my weight but I’m not 100% sure any of you guys got any ideas of what it could be.

15. We had a fat guy at our unit that stood up and said he was doing selection, 18 stone ithink he was. Trained like it was the end of the world. He passed, i think the people who took the piss made him more determined.

Get that ******* beret. That is all that matters now.
    • Like Like x 1